Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2008, 14:26   #1  |  Link
kiwiusa

Removing dancing scratch

With many thanks to neuron2, 2bdecided and fizick, I have managed to get my source reasonably close to the original 8mm film frame rate. Despot and RemoveDirt were then able to clean it up pretty well.

There is one problem left that I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for. It's a "dancing" scratch that appears in about 80% of the video. As it moves spatially from frame to frame, Despot can't seem to identify it.

Here is a pic of a single cropped frame

100 frames of unprocessed source are here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/97402641...Scratch100.avi

Thanks,

Al
Attached Images

kiwiusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 06:46   #2  |  Link
rfmmars

Use a wetgate process to take out all the scratches out as long as they are black. If they are white, you are dealing with a copy.

There is a product called "FilmRenew" which I use. It will attack plastic reels, so I spool the film onto a metal takeup reel, let it soak for a couple of hours, and use a dry soft cotton cloth pad to wipe the film upon rewinding. You have about 1/2 hour to project the film before the lines appear again. It will not only fix this but cleans and polishes the film. It will be 100% effective except for a few frames sometimes at the start and end of the film

If you have mold, a big problem with Super 8, looks like "snowflakes", soak for a week, 100% effective.

Richard
photorecall.net
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:09   #3  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Is that scratch actually on the film stock?

It looks more like a hair or bit of fluff in the projector gate.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 03:12   #4  |  Link
kiwiusa

Sorry Guys, the original 8mm film was lost in time in the 80's, the PAL VHS I have is the only record
kiwiusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 12:35   #5  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

photoshop

fizick's new exinpaint is a good place to look as well, although you've got your work cut out for you if that hair's moving.

btw, wet-gate would be no use - that's a hair casting a shadow on the film as it was in the camera... looks like someone should check the gate between takes .

btw, i'm trying to remove one of these buggers myself. not much fun i'll tell you, especially in 2k.