Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th April 2021, 23:57   #24401  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I don't have to care what you think, and those options will never happen.
I guess many people want to have one universal enough good product than many special (but even worse than universal) products for each case.
Quote:
I don't get anything from it.
If you don't want to get 250$ it's your decision
wanezhiling
What about your TigerLake and mpv - it can use HW acceleration (without Video Processing) in cases where LAV Video Decoder and others couldn't?

Last edited by VictorLS; 6th April 2021 at 00:06.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 03:54   #24402  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
wanezhiling
What about your TigerLake and mpv - it can use HW acceleration (without Video Processing) in cases where LAV Video Decoder and others couldn't?
mpv only supports quicksync for av1, too slow.
for hevc vp9 h264, mpv seems a bit faster than mpc-be.

well, i stick with mpc-be
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 08:27   #24403  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
If you don't want to get 250$ it's your decision
This is an entirely different request, for exposing additional hardware capability and not a cheap performance hack that degrades quality, and will most likely be supported in the re-designed NVDEC backend (which is part of the reason it is infact being replaced, as the old CUVID one has limitations), as I have already responded to before.
But, I also wouldn't do a quick hack to get it working just because someone put some money up. Thats just not my goal with LAV.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 6th April 2021 at 08:31.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 09:57   #24404  |  Link
monohouse

thank 0.75 nice work
monohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 15:52   #24405  |  Link
VictorLS

wanezhiling, nevcairiel
Thanks for your replies
Old 11th April 2021, 05:31   #24406  |  Link
wanezhiling

Question about HDR on Intel

Hi nevcairiel, do you have Intel GPUs (7th Kabylake and above)? Can you test whether the image on Intel is different with the one on AMD/NVIDIA when playing any HDR videos(for example) with vanilla EVR. And do you know how does intel process?

ps: If you use wmp12 (microsoft's built-in decoder), the image will be the same as AMD/NVIDIA even on intel.
Old 11th April 2021, 09:07   #24407  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I do not. But EVR doesnt do any HDR processing, any outcome will be wrong. The difference is likely from obeying the color matrix or not, and the MS decoder just not sending that information. But as said, neither properly reproduces HDR, so its always wrong.
Old 11th April 2021, 11:24   #24408  |  Link
wanezhiling

Thanks.
Some developers told me that's intel's problem, but a workaround on decoder side can solve this.
Maybe you can investigate further once you got a iGPU. Anyway, it's up to you.

edit: mpc-be r6170 changed codes for this situation. because Intel automatically tries some transformation when it met hdr videos (VideoTransferMatrix = BT.2020) with evr.

Last edited by wanezhiling; 12th April 2021 at 06:56.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:57   #24409  |  Link
VictorLS

wanezhiling
Many thanks - I saw the same color distortion (it looks much worse than without any transformation on my own) with ordinary EVR (so not EVR-CP) - I guess you've called it vanilla EVR - with HDR videos when I tried with Intel's Comet Lake with integrated UHD Graphics 630 and igfx_win10_100.9316.exe driver

Last edited by VictorLS; 12th April 2021 at 10:00.
Old 12th April 2021, 10:59   #24410  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
edit: mpc-be r6170 changed codes for this situation. because Intel automatically tries some transformation when it met hdr videos (VideoTransferMatrix = BT.2020) with evr.
But BT.2020 does not mean HDR, and sending another flag then that one would just be plain wrong. I don't think this issue is understood well enough to make blanket changes that practically make the decoder lie just to make it look wrong in another fashion, so I won't.
It does sound to me like its actually processing BT.2020 (like its supposed to), but you just don't want that for some reason, and thus lie to the renderer.
Old 12th April 2021, 11:20   #24411  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
But BT.2020 does not mean HDR, and sending another flag then that one would just be plain wrong. I don't think this issue is understood well enough to make blanket changes that practically make the decoder lie just to make it look wrong in another fashion, so I won't.
It does sound to me like its actually processing BT.2020 (like its supposed to), but you just don't want that for some reason, and thus lie to the renderer.
so the best solution is reporting to intel? let intel change in their driver?

this does affect all bt.2020 videos, indeed. I can't believe no intel users ever found it before? ....
Old 12th April 2021, 11:26   #24412  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
so the best solution is reporting to intel? let intel change in their driver?
I guess answer on both your questions is Yes
May be you'll ask Intel how to activate their hardware acceleration of H265 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 in Intel Xe (Tiger Lake)?
Old 13th April 2021, 04:07   #24413  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Just updated from 0.74.1 to the new 0.75. Unfortunately, all video streams from my FTP server now take around 20 seconds before the videos start playing (local files play immediately). This never happened under 0.74.1 -- they all play immediately. Any idea what setting, if any, I need to change in 0.75, or should I just stick with 0.74.1?

Player: MPC-BE 1.5.6 x64
Renderer: madVR b128

Thanks in advance!

Update: If I only install the LAV Video Decoder 0.75 and keep the splitter and audio decoder at 0.74.1, the videos streamed via FTP play immediately, but if the splitter or audio decoder 0.75 are installed, it takes about 20 seconds before the video begins playing.

Last edited by *MidnightWatcher*; 13th April 2021 at 04:39.
*MidnightWatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 09:09   #24414  |  Link
RealSnoopyDog

It would be helpful to know for which file format this happens for you. I don't have problems where starting a video stream takes 20 seconds or more on a network storage. They all start immediately (plain mpeg and mkv)
RealSnoopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 09:28   #24415  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MidnightWatcher* View Post
Just updated from 0.74.1 to the new 0.75. Unfortunately, all video streams from my FTP server now take around 20 seconds before the videos start playing (local files play immediately). This never happened under 0.74.1 -- they all play immediately. Any idea what setting, if any, I need to change in 0.75, or should I just stick with 0.74.1?
When was the last time you disabled the mains power from all your gear, waited between 30 to 60 seconds, and switched everything back on again!?

My Synology NAS was behaving strangely a few weeks ago after an update. After "switching it off and on again"... It's working fine
Old 13th April 2021, 10:37   #24416  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MidnightWatcher* View Post
If I only install the LAV Video Decoder 0.75 and keep the splitter and audio decoder at 0.74.1, the videos streamed via FTP play immediately, but if the splitter or audio decoder 0.75 are installed, it takes about 20 seconds before the video begins playing.
I know this could be a bit time consuming, but what you could do is try to install each of the nightlies here: https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/0.74/ and see after each upgrade/downgrade if the problem appears/disappears.
Proceed using a sort of "divide search": install a build from the middle of the list, like 0.74.1-59, check if the problem happens, if it does then the issue was introduced in a build between 0.74.1 and that one, if it doesn't it was in a later one, then repeat the same process with the smaller resulting selection.
At worst it should take you only installing 6 of those to pinpoint which one exactly introduced the issue.
Then you can see all the codes changes that happened here: https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFil....74.1...master and hopefully find something that explains it and nev can take a look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSnoopyDog View Post
It would be helpful to know for which file format this happens for you. I don't have problems where starting a video stream takes 20 seconds or more on a network storage. They all start immediately (plain mpeg and mkv)
What protocol? Maybe it only affects FTP.

Last edited by el Filou; 13th April 2021 at 10:40.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 15:12   #24417  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSnoopyDog View Post
All my videos are mkv.
Old 13th April 2021, 15:14   #24418  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
When was the last time you disabled the mains power from all your gear, waited between 30 to 60 seconds, and switched everything back on again!?

My Synology NAS was behaving strangely a few weeks ago after an update. After "switching it off and on again"... It's working fine
It plays fine with 0.74.1, but not with 0.75. If it were the server I'd have issues regardless of version.
Old 13th April 2021, 16:28   #24419  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Does it actually use LAV Splitter to access the FTP server, or is it using an external URL Source Filter? More information is more better.

PS:
Issues are not always as straight forward as you might think. Restarting your NAS takes you as much time as declaring that its not the cause.
Old 13th April 2021, 18:35   #24420  |  Link
*MidnightWatcher*

Quote:
Does it actually use LAV Splitter to access the FTP server, or is it using an external URL Source Filter? More information is more better.

PS:
Issues are not always as straight forward as you might think. Restarting your NAS takes you as much time as declaring that its not the cause.
Hi nev, I restarted the FTP server and still the same.

I'm using Kodi with MPC-BE as the external player, and MPC-BE is set up to use only LAV for splitter, audio, video. They are all active in the task bar also when a video is playing. Does this answer your question?

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter