Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 9th February 2015, 13:32   #1  |  Link
Orivaa

Handbrake problem

Whenever I try and encode a file with handbrake, everything on my system slows down and becomes laggy as hell. This usually happens when my CPU or RAM is nearly at full use, but when I somehow managed to get Process Explorer open, the CPU usage was at 50%, and RAM nowhere near full. The problem went away when I force-quit the Handbrake processes.

It worked fine yesterday.
However, last night, I had to do a pretty long encoding, so I set it to "shutdown once finished," and turned the priority to High, and went to bed. I figured the problem was the fact that it was on High, so before I shut it down, I went and set it all the way to low, but to no effect, as everything was still laggy as fuck.

Edit: I just tried again, and now it for some reason seems to work. Could it possibly be that the priority change wouldn't take effect until I re-opened the application/re-started the encoding?

Last edited by Orivaa; 9th February 2015 at 13:35.
Orivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 21:55   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Priority change is immediate, but take a close look at disk utilization instead. (In resource monitor, not task manager.) Disk is a huge bottleneck if you're swapping, or just reading & writing a lot of data. If that still doesn't look like the problem, check for thermal throttling. Look at Resource Monitor's "Maximum Frequency" (it's also in Task Manager in Win8 and up), and if it's less than 100%, you know you're being throttled, either by a power plan or more likely insufficient cooling.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote