Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th May 2016, 18:15   #1  |  Link
GD314

Terrible MPC-HC display on Windows 10, while native Windows 10 app is ok

Hi everybody!

I’m facing a strange issue with MPC-HC video decoding.
I recently moved from a PC (Windows 8) to another one (Windows 10), and installed MPC-HC on my new PC with the exact same settings as on my older PC, in order to get the same output.

The problem is that the exact same MKV file plays very differently on my new PC : there’s a lot of artifacts, especially just after a scene change, which is confirmed by screen capturing.

The oddest part of this problem is that the same file, played on my new PC, but within the native Windows 10 player (« Movies and TV ») gives the exact same output as my old PC.

My setup : PC with Intel Iris Graphics 540, Windows 10, MPC-HC 64-bits 1.7.10. I use the native LAV filters, with native DXVA2 hardware acceleration.

I tried this with no success
- using my TV as an external display
- change hardware acceleration settings (« none », « Intel QuickSync », …)

Finally, I found the renderer was the cause of the issue. I tried all renderers and here are the results :
- 5 of them can reproduce the video correctly
- among these 5, only one allows to get subtitles to display (VMR 9 renderless)
- none of them uses DXVA2 video acceleration, which results in a CPU usage of approximately 20%

Before I tried to change it, the renderer was set to "EVR custom presenter" with DXVA2 as hardware decoder (internal LAV filters). The CPU usage was then 2%.
With the new renderer setting (VMR 9 renderless), I have to change the hardware decoder to Intel QuickSync to see the CPU usage drop to 7%.

I notice that the video display issue occurs with all renderers that can use DXVA2 (green tick under the selection list), whatever hardware decoder you actually choose. But this is not true for madVR, which I installed : with hardware decoder set to DXVA2, the video display has issues (6% CPU usage). With Intel QuickSync, the video display is ok (10% CPU usage).

With DXVA2, the video display always has issues. The only way to get it work correctly is to use Intel QuickSync (with VMR 9 renderless or madVR).

I don't know where the problem comes from.

Here are images before and after changing the settings :
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Any clue why I can't get EVR custom presenter to work with DXVA ?

Last edited by GD314; 7th May 2016 at 19:31.
GD314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 18:35   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

If anything it sounds like a driver issue. Which would mean only Intel is really in a position to fix it unless there is a workaround. Start by trying different drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=88358
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 18:39   #3  |  Link
huhn

your GPU image processing should be the issue it is used by default with EVR.

you can try to disable these post processing algorithem in the driver.

madVR ignores them by default.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 19:41   #4  |  Link
GD314

Hi

Sneaker_ger : interesting statement. The problem is my new PC is a Surface Pro, which had issues (frequent driver crashes) since the product was launched. Microsoft finally solved that recently (march 2016) by providing a new driver dedicated to the Surface. Indeed, when trying to install the last beta version, I get a message stating "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer". I wouldn't take the risk to override this warning and try to install it anyway.

Huhn : everything is set to default.
Old 7th May 2016, 20:56   #5  |  Link
clsid

Things that you can disable in the driver settings are "Contrast Enhancement" and "Skin Tone Enhancement" which both do more harm than good.

Have you tried DXVA2 copy-back?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 21:36   #6  |  Link
GD314

Hi clsid

I have no access to video settings with the MS tweaked driver. And I don't think it's related to these enhancements : watch the two pictures, the difference does not reside in contrast or skin tone.
I tried DXVA2 copy back with no success.
Old 7th May 2016, 23:03   #7  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I have no access to video settings with the MS tweaked driver. And I don't think it's related to these enhancements : watch the two pictures, the difference does not reside in contrast or skin tone.
I tried DXVA2 copy back with no success.
these processing algorithm aren't that simple and looking at an histogram show the gamma/contrast is changed.

but let's do a simple test try madVR with DXVA scaling.

edit: and make sure the image is scaled.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 23:33   #8  |  Link
GD314

Hi huhn

Renderer : madVR + DXVA2
Native definition : artifacts
Upscaled : image ok.