Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2020, 18:39   #1  |  Link
TomArrow

MPC-HC/MPC-BE EVR H264/HEVC playback is blurry/blotchy/looks denoised

My PC: i5-3570k (Intel HD Graphics 4000 with Quicksync), Win 7 64 bit

When I play HEVC or H264 files with MPC-HC or MPC-BE with the Enhanced Video Renderer, all the finer details in the image seem as if smuged or denoised. Especially in noisy areas it creates very ugly looking areas, but it seems to generally degrade the image all over the place. This can be seen both when just playing back and when taking screenshots.

Things I have tried that work:
- Switching to madVR, Haali Renderer or renderless Video Mixing Renderer: This solves the issue, the fine details look normal. But this has the downside in MPC-BE that it doesn't support any tone mapping for HDR.
- Using a different player like VLC or mpv, none of those have this issue.
- Trying the same thing on another computer, where these issues don't exist, which made me suspect QuickSync (the other PC has a Quadro NVIDIA card).

Things I have tried that didn't work (at most changed the colors a little bit, but the artifacts remained the same):
- Disable internal decoder's DXVA2 or set internal decoder to QuickSync directly.
- Use external decoder by disabling the internal filters. Tried ffdshow with both libavcodec and QuickSync. No difference.
- Change to Sync Video Renderer
- Disabling/Enabling Color Management

Things I have checked:
- No shaders are loaded.

Any ideas? This stuff is really really ugly and reminds me of the deblocking some modern TVs do by default.
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 19:14   #2  |  Link
Klaus1189

I would try the following:
1.) disable internal filters in MPC-BE - but only the DXVA2 ones -> then test it and rightlick -> copy filters list and post here
2.) install LAV Filters and set Hardware acceleration to "None" -> then test it and rightlick -> copy filters list and post here
3.) LAV Filters and set Hardware acceleration to "D3D11" -> then test it and rightlick -> copy filters list and post here
4.) LAV Filters and set Hardware acceleration to "DXVA2 copyback" -> then test it and rightlick -> copy filters list and post here

Download mediainfo:
https://mediaarea.net/download/binar...utInstaller.7z
or use the built in mediainfo in MPC-BE and post mediainfo-log here
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 19:27   #3  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Do you have any "enhancements" activated in the Intel GPU driver?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5773/...-perspective/4
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote