Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 17th August 2008, 19:27   #1  |  Link
mellon

Avisynth 3 - dead project?

The latest commit for Avisynth 3 on Sourceforge was one year ago. Is there another (secret) repository? Or did the devs give up?

What happened to the project?
mellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 20:15   #2  |  Link
Manao

The project is (un)officially dead. What happened was mostly a lack of interest. Lots of people would have liked a portable avisynth, but nobody wanted to work on it aside the two devs. The possibility to make avs 2.5 work on linux through wine + avs2yuv and the upcoming avs 2.6 with additionnal colorspaces & proper multithreading killed the potential advantage of avs 3.0 over 2.x.

In the end, it's dead because avs 2.x works, so it's not a big loss either.
Old 18th August 2008, 02:07   #3  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

really sad to hear.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 03:18   #4  |  Link
vcmohan

Its a pity that the project is dead for all practical purposes. Avisynth is a free software under GPL 2.0 By not making available a straight out of box working adaptation of Avisynth available for Linux, many first time users and converts to Linux are discouraged. This shows a bias to Windows XP . Wish and hope some Geeks develop the system for Linux.
Old 18th August 2008, 09:46   #5  |  Link
anton_foy

I agree. Switching to Linux now and I will miss AviSynth so much.
anton_foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 10:05   #6  |  Link
Manao

Quote:
This shows a bias to Windows XP
You're welcome to port it

Something else I had forgotten to say : avisynth on windows is usefull and used because of vfw. There are no equivalent on linux which means that if there were a linux version, every program would need specific code to interface with it, or would need to use a third party program like avs2yuv.

And, once again, you can always use wine. Why do you want a native solution, and why do you expect devs to lose time reinventing the wheel when a working solution already exists ?
Old 18th August 2008, 10:24   #7  |  Link
Gusar

The only thing that doesn't work in wine is fft3dgpu, so one has to use the software fft3dfilter. If someone could port fft3dgpu from directx to OpenGL, that would be the ultimate killer. Everything else works so there's no real need for Avisynth3.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:30   #8  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

yeah, but what are the speed comparisons like when running Avisynth on native XP, vs under Wine?
Old 18th August 2008, 17:44   #9  |  Link
Manao

Almost no speed impact if the script is a slow script. It might amount to one or two additionnal frame copy, ie far less than 1 ms / output frame. That means a script working at 25fps on windows will work at 24.4 fps.

And fft3dgpu, as previously stated, doesn't work, so if you were using it, you'll be slower (but then, a native avs 3.0 wouldn't solve that either...)
Old 18th August 2008, 19:38   #10  |  Link
mellon

I'd like to have a native x64 version on Windows. I know squid_80 made a port years ago. But all the recent changes... I would compile it myself - but the assembly is the pain.

I'm really happy with x64 MPC-HC and x64 ffDshow. Avisyth is missing.
mellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:08   #11  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Perhaps Avisynth 3 would have been completed much sooner if they had limited themselves to merely porting the existing functionality to linux.

I wasn't around at the time, but browsing the archives, it appears they were overly ambitious and wanted to extend the script language in all sorts of ways as well. (A noble goal, but surely a long term one.)

Last edited by Gavino; 18th August 2008 at 23:10.
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:58   #12  |  Link
talen9

And I think I remember that, even if AviSynth 3.0 was actually completed, the majority of the plugins should have been rewritten too, this was a major halting point I presume ...
talen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 01:39   #13  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

@manao: gstreamer exists on both windows and linux. no need for VFW.
Old 19th August 2008, 05:58   #14  |  Link
Manao

If I take a simple example, let's say x264, it supports VFW input, but not gstreamer input. There's no need for VFW except that it's the de facto standard, supported by (almost) everybody, and gstreamer is far from that.
Quote:
I wasn't around at the time, but browsing the archives, it appears they were overly ambitious and wanted to extend the script language in all sorts of ways as well. (A noble goal, but surely a long term one.)
Indeed, it was a complete rewrite, using advanced & clean C++ (based on boost). As much as I like avisynth's functionalities the code base isn't what you'd call clean. And, would I have wanted to port that to linux, I would also have started from scratch (porting code you don't like isn't fun, and it's a project done in one's free time).
Old 19th August 2008, 13:23   #15  |  Link
cogman
The Crazy Idahoan

Sorry, but there is one problem with AVS2Yuv that hasn't been covered. Multithreading. To date I have never seen any plugin or program run under wine that wine multithreaded. . That would be why I miss 3.0. Unfortunately I don't think I am a good enough programmer to finish the project.
cogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 14:09   #16  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao View Post
If I take a simple example, let's say x264, it supports VFW input, but not gstreamer input. There's no need for VFW except that it's the de facto standard, supported by (almost) everybody, and gstreamer is far from that.
indeed. if no one ever starts using it, it wont ever be the "de facto standard".
Old 19th August 2008, 14:53   #17  |  Link
Ranguvar

I switched to Linux and then switched back. Using Wine/avs2yuv just has too many limitations (multithreading, fft3dgpu, no AvsP-like tools, etc). Until there's native AviSynth support on Linux, or at least an improved compatibility layer, I can't switch. Shame really, everything else about Linux I love. I can't wait to dump Windows.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 15:29   #18  |  Link
martino
masktools2 (ab)user

You can always use a VM... not exactly rocket science, but be prepared to loose some speed.
Old 20th August 2008, 13:12   #19  |  Link
Ranguvar

Since I rip a DVD or two a day, I'm not prepared to spend a vast amount of my time in a VM. Plus, I'm not aware of any VMs today that can use all 4 cores (VMware only does two), and you have to cut up your RAM, and then I have to worry about transferring massive files, especially for ripping Blu-ray...
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:29   #20  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

agreed. VMs are not always an option. we should convince the avs devs to go the multiplatform way.