Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 11th March 2007, 19:55   #1001  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

My sound hardware is an onboard Realtek ALC888DD. It is spec'ed to play 24 bit audio.

I can play the 24 bit FLAC in GraphEdit using the Native FLAC File Source filter without any problems. EDIT: Not muxed into an mka file.

I also can tell AC3Filter to output in 24 bits to DirectSound without any issues. It may be possible that the hardware downsamples to 16 bit before output to the speakers, but I cannot verify that at the moment.

I may give Wavpack a try - the ability to add a delay is nice!

Last edited by Rectal Prolapse; 11th March 2007 at 20:15.
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 20:02   #1002  |  Link
chros

I don't understand why you guys do the intermediate files (raw, wav) if you want to encode to AC3 ... (Am I missing something?)

Why don't you use an avisynth script and behappy + aften ?
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 21:10   #1003  |  Link
daveidmx
Just One Calorie

OK, I'm still stuck a few pages back on my DD+ decoding. I'm still working on the King Kong HD-DVD that came with my player, and the following holds for both the UNILOGO and FEATURE.

Code:
(Orbitlee source filter: demuxed DD+) -> (Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.2) = 0x80040217, filters cannot agree on a connection.
Code:
(Async file: demuxed DD+) -> (Sonic audio) = 0x80040217
Code:
(Async file: demuxed DD+) -> (Sonic HD Demuxer) = so far so good; -> (Sonic audio) = 0x80040217
Code:
(Async file: EVO--rebuilt or original) -> (Sonic HD Dumuxer) = so far so good; -> (Sonic audio) = 0x80040217
Did I miss something?

I am able to hook up Orbitlee's filter to the Intervideo Audio Decoder, but the output is always a stream of zero-bytes exactly the same length as the source stream. (Possibly because my trial period has expired?)

However I can't for the life of me seem to hook anything up to the Sonic audio decoder.

Any thoughts?

D
daveidmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 22:35   #1004  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgx View Post
FLAC, Wavpack, LPCM, MLP, TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio should all sound exactly the same since they are all lossless.
Yes, I know. I meant to ask how file size compares between these lossless formats. Sorry for being unclear.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 22:38   #1005  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I don't understand why you guys do the intermediate files (raw, wav) if you want to encode to AC3 ... (Am I missing something?)

Why don't you use an avisynth script and behappy + aften ?
Maybe the reason is that I've no experience with avisynth scripting at all... Another reason is that behappy originally didn't support 640 bitrate encoding with aften. But I've just yesterday found out that there's a modded build which supports it.

Anyway, can you decode E-AC3 via an avisynth script? How would that script look like? Thanks!
Old 11th March 2007, 22:49   #1006  |  Link
woah!

just build your sound graph and save it. then use this :

SetMemoryMax(64)
DirectShowSource("SOUND.GRF", video=false)

now just load that script into behappy and setup your aften options or just pick the preset one. i do the same thing except i go to aac instead.
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 00:18   #1007  |  Link
Deckard2019

Does anybody know anything about Blu-Ray subtitles ?
Is there a chance to extract them with xport ?
Deckard2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 00:58   #1008  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woah! View Post
just build your sound graph and save it. then use this :

SetMemoryMax(64)
DirectShowSource("SOUND.GRF", video=false)

now just load that script into behappy and setup your aften options or just pick the preset one. i do the same thing except i go to aac instead.
Occasionally, the process may end in an exception. I found that if you add the fps parameter, the exception goes away.

For example: DirectShowSource("yourfile.grf", fps=x, video=false). Where x is your source fps, i.e., 23.976 or 29.970, etc.
Old 12th March 2007, 05:11   #1009  |  Link
behded

There are two reasons to force me use the intermediate raw and wav files:
1. the channel mapping. This maybe solved by some "matrix filter" which I don't know where to get. Can some one tell me please.
2. I always get the
"Error: System.IO.IOException: The pipe has been ended." error in the middle of the conversion in behappy, if I try to go from .grf directly to ac3. I don't know a way to solve this. I'm using the v0.06 of aften.I have the fps setting in the avs.

By the way, it seems the Sonic Audio Decoder 4.2 does not work under Vista. Can some one confirms this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Occasionally, the process may end in an exception. I found that if you add the fps parameter, the exception goes away.

For example: DirectShowSource("yourfile.grf", fps=x, video=false). Where x is your source fps, i.e., 23.976 or 29.970, etc.

Last edited by behded; 12th March 2007 at 05:14.
behded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 05:19   #1010  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by behded View Post
...2. I always get the
"Error: System.IO.IOException: The pipe has been ended." error in the middle of the conversion in behappy, if I try to go from .grf directly to ac3. I don't know a way to solve this. I'm using the v0.06 of aften.I have the fps setting in the avs.
You need the latest (build 449) of Aften. You should also grab the latest build of BeHappy. I believe both are available in the BeHappy thread. There's also a separate aften 0.06 thread. The latest build of BeHappy includes the latest aften.exe so that should take care of your problem.
Old 12th March 2007, 06:21   #1011  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

daveidmx: Maybe you need to reregister both filters?

Also, check your audio configuration - make sure windows is set to 5.1 mode. Then, check the Cinemaster Decoder control panel and make sure it is also set to 5.1. Good luck!

I just gave WavPack a try - I can't get playback to work at all - FFDShow Audio Decoder completely hangs and everything stops - as if in a permanently paused state.

Those of you who got FLAC and WavPack working, what version of audio decoder are you using? What does the filter graph look like? I am stumped - maybe my FFDShow version is borked for lossless audio playback.

I'm using the latest (March something) Haali Media Splitter, with FFDShow-tryouts version 964. I used mkvtoolnix 2.0.2. I also used MediaCoder 0.5.1 to encode FLAC, WavPack, and FAAC. Only FAAC works flawless for me. FLAC almost works but with audio glitches (and no audio delay with mkvtoolnix).

I am sooooo close.
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 07:19   #1012  |  Link
MichalHabart

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yes, of course, I'll do that. I'll also try to use Chumbo's suggestion to use the AC3Filter instead of ffdShow.

I'm always using 640 for 5.1 audio tracks. For 2.0 audio tracks I'm using 384, unless the E-AC3 track has a higher rate than that. In that case I'm using 640, too. I guess I can add a parameter, but is there anybody who would want to use 448, anyway? I mean we want best possible quality, don't we?
Thank you very much. I just wanted to know what bitrate do you use. Now when i know that it is 640kbps, i am quite happy with that
MichalHabart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 08:34   #1013  |  Link
behded

I made sure I'm using the v449 of aften. My BeHappy is version 0.1.9.5241. Seems to be the latest version I can get from http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/...4-b0999e8e223e
Is there any new download site, since the workspace is being phased out by M$.

I'm still getting the following error close to the end of the conversion:

Error: System.IO.IOException: The pipe has been ended.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.FileStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at BeHappy.Encoder.encode()

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
You need the latest (build 449) of Aften. You should also grab the latest build of BeHappy. I believe both are available in the BeHappy thread. There's also a separate aften 0.06 thread. The latest build of BeHappy includes the latest aften.exe so that should take care of your problem.
behded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 11:34   #1014  |  Link
orbitlee

An updated version of DD+ source filter
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vrahm

The first version of DD+ source filter only accepts bsid=16 DD+ audio, but yesterday I found a DD+ audio which has bsid!=16. DD+ source filter refuses to open this audio track.
Actually DD+ spec allows bsid=11~16. Should read spec more carefully
Also, register the extension name .ec3

For AC3 and DTS audio, DD+ source with sonic audio decoder 4.2 still can't give me reliable result, I give up, so simply DON'T use the source filter to handle AC3 and DTS. There are so many mature choices, right?

Last edited by orbitlee; 12th March 2007 at 11:43.
orbitlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 11:49   #1015  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitlee View Post
For AC3 and DTS audio, DD+ source with sonic audio decoder 4.2 still can't give me reliable result, I give up, so simply DON'T use the source filter to handle AC3 and DTS. There are so many mature choices, right?
It could be better to rename this filter to DD+ source...
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 11:50   #1016  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
An updated version of DD+ source filter
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vrahm

The first version of DD+ source filter only accepts bsid=16 DD+ audio, but yesterday I found a DD+ audio which has bsid!=16. DD+ source filter refuses to open this audio track.
Actually DD+ spec allows bsid=11~16. Should read spec more carefully
Also, register the extension name .ec3

Thank you!!

One little question to you, since you seem to have some experience with modding open source filters: Would it be much work for you to mod the AC3Filter so that it would not try to decode DD+? Right now when switching between DD+ and AC3 movies I always have to change preferences in MPC. If AC3Filter wouldn't try to decode DD+, that would allow a more comfortable setup.
Old 12th March 2007, 12:36   #1017  |  Link
orbitlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican9 View Post
It could be better to rename this filter to DD+ source...
After we find a reliable audio decoder, I'll be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Thank you!!

One little question to you, since you seem to have some experience with modding open source filters: Would it be much work for you to mod the AC3Filter so that it would not try to decode DD+? Right now when switching between DD+ and AC3 movies I always have to change preferences in MPC. If AC3Filter wouldn't try to decode DD+, that would allow a more comfortable setup.

Have you tried sonic audio decoder 4.2 to decoder AC3? (of course, not with the DD+ source filter ). I found haali splitter works with sonic audio decoder well (I think haali knows the directshow tricks

For ac3filter, currently I'm trying to build ac3filter, and check whether it could be configured(or patched) to decode LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 from Blu-ray properly. I will check how can I disable the not-working DD+ decoding. But since ac3filter is still being actively supported (http://ac3filter.net/forum/), I think it will be even better to request ac3filter developer to support DD+ and LPCM 5.1/7.1.
orbitlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 13:38   #1018  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Have you tried sonic audio decoder 4.2 to decoder AC3?
I sometimes need passthrough over optical out and sometimes not. The AC3Filter lets me switch that on/off beautifully in the filter properties at runtime. With the Sonic decoder I can probably configure it from outside by using the external settings GUI. That's less comfortable and IIRC when I tried passthrough with the Sonic decoder it crashed for me.

Quote:
For ac3filter, currently I'm trying to build ac3filter, and check whether it could be configured(or patched) to decode LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 from Blu-ray properly. I will check how can I disable the not-working DD+ decoding. But since ac3filter is still being actively supported (http://ac3filter.net/forum/), I think it will be even better to request ac3filter developer to support DD+ and LPCM 5.1/7.1.
Well, the last post of the admin was from October 2006, as far as I can see...
Old 12th March 2007, 15:37   #1019  |  Link
zgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
Those of you who got FLAC and WavPack working, what version of audio decoder are you using? What does the filter graph look like? I am stumped - maybe my FFDShow version is borked for lossless audio playback.

I'm using the latest (March something) Haali Media Splitter, with FFDShow-tryouts version 964. I used mkvtoolnix 2.0.2. I also used MediaCoder 0.5.1 to encode FLAC, WavPack, and FAAC. Only FAAC works flawless for me. FLAC almost works but with audio glitches (and no audio delay with mkvtoolnix).

I am sooooo close.
To play a stand-alone FLAC you can use foobar2000. If you mux it into a MKV container you need a directshow filter. There are two filters available. You can read more about it here: http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/flac.shtml.

I don't think you need to use ffdshow at all to decode FLAC. I use Zoomplayer and have setup "CoreFLAC Decoder v0.4" to decode FLAC and then I use AC3Filter after CoreFLAC so I can adjust levels and other things.
zgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 16:00   #1020  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
I just gave WavPack a try - I can't get playback to work at all - FFDShow Audio Decoder completely hangs and everything stops - as if in a permanently paused state.
Wavpack support in ffdshow is incomplete. Use CoreWavpack instead.
http://coreforge.org/frs/?group_id=28