Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th August 2003, 00:36   #1  |  Link
moon1234

Dust and interlaced NTSC sources

I have been learning via this site for over 2 years now. Many thanks to all the very informative posts.

I have alot of older NTSC VHS and Hi-8 analog material that I am digitizing using the Canopus ADVC 1394. Once on the PC I am cleaning and Transcoding to MPEG2 using CCE. Most of the material has noise as some of it is almost 20 years old. The newer Hi-8 stuff is even starting to degrade after just 4 years of storage.

I have used faerydust after deinterlacing and I am getting fantastic results. This has to be the best noise filter available right now. For the DVD archived stuff I would really like to keep it interlaced. The drawback to this is I can't call any version of dust twice in my scripts. The second call to the dust filter results in an output of an all black screen.

I want to use the temporal capabilities of dust as it is an amazing filter. I have tried Convolution3d, but the results are no where near as good as the dust results.

My question is:
How do I use dust to process both the top and bottom fields independently so that the pixel locations are correct? Is there a way to process just the even fields and output that result to a HuffYUV file? Then do the same for the odd fields and then weave the two files together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I ahve tried just separating the fields and running pixiedust and faerydust and it does improve the noisy video quite a bit, but there are Chroma artifacts that I can see in any fast motion scenes. It also seems that dust handles scene transitions quite well. Very little blurring.

Thanks,
Moon1234
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote