Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 16th August 2005, 18:48   #41  |  Link
CobraX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberace
Why not just replace the fan with a low rpm (silent) 8mm fan (it not as hard as you might think)? and/or set down the fan-speed to 10% in XboxMediaCenter settings (which anyone can do)?

PS! My 2 cents; Xbox Media Center is better than all other standalone solutions that cannot record live TV!
Well I'm not really a "tweaker" so I think I'll stay off my Xbox' "intestines" plus I don't have the right type of (American?) screwdriver to open my Xbox. That 10% fan speed reduction might be useful but isn't it harmful?

Edit: hmmm didn't read it well. Setting the fan-speed to 10% of the current speed seems rather dangerous...

Last edited by CobraX; 16th August 2005 at 18:51.
CobraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 18:56   #42  |  Link
CobraX

Also what about post processing? You can enable this in FFDShow but I assume that hardware DivX player don't have this setting?

But then I read this. The Zoran Vaddis 776 has this filter:

Proprietary video post processing filters for improving quality of low bitrate MPEG streams.

-> Do they mean MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 streams or only MPEG-2 streams? Can you compare this to the post processing filter in FFDShow?
Old 16th August 2005, 19:10   #43  |  Link
Cyberace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraX
That 10% fan speed reduction might be useful but isn't it harmful?
Setting the fan-speed to 10% of the current speed seems rather dangerous...
Others use it without problems see here (link), anyway the worse thing that will happen is that your Xbox will (automaticly) switch itself off when the CPU gets over-heated (it has built-in over-heat protection that does that) if it does then all you have to do is wait a while until the Xbox cools off before you can safely turn it back on and try a higher setting, ...however if you want to play it safe then you can use the temperature control fan setting in XBMC, 55-60 degrees C should cause no problems, try it.
Cyberace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 23:52   #44  |  Link
zilog jones

Quote:
...The Zoran Vaddis 776 has this filter:

Proprietary video post processing filters for improving quality of low bitrate MPEG streams.

-> Do they mean MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 streams or only MPEG-2 streams? Can you compare this to the post processing filter in FFDShow?
I'm not sure what it means - maybe it means all MPEG video. Anyway, I can post results (via an s-video capture) from my 776-based player if you want. And I wouldn't be surprised if other chipsets used similar filtering - maybe other people can show results too if we decide on some sample videos?

Quote:
Why do you say that? It seems the Zoran Vaddis 776 is more feature-complete.

Supports: -
Video Decs: Mpeg4 with B-VOP (with/without packed bit-stream) /
Qpel / 1 and 3 warp-point GMC
Audio Decs: MP3 / MPA (Layers 1, 2 and 3), AC3 (Dolby® Digital), WAV / AAC-LC / WMA
Containers: .AVI & .MP4 for video (.MP3, .WAV, .AC3, .WMA & .AAC for audio)
AFAIK, mine (the Yamada DVD-6500X) doesn't support MP4, AAC or DVD-A -_-
This review of a Rowa RDVD104 shows similar results to mine, too.

Actually, do we have any physical proof that the Siemssen SCO 5000 ND contains a this chipset? I'm starting to have my doubts, especially considering that Zoran aren't exactly saying much about their series of chips, or the differences between them. Then again, it still just could be some manufacturers (like Yamada and Rowa) being lazy...

I found this (in French) showing a picture of a Vaddis 776, but there's not really much suggesting it's actually from that player. The menus look the same as on my player, only with *A LOT* more information on them (especially like here, where the info is very sparse on my player in comparison).
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 09:53   #45  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilog jones
AFAIK, mine (the Yamada DVD-6500X) doesn't support MP4, AAC or DVD-A -_-
This review of a Rowa RDVD104 shows similar results to mine, too.

Actually, do we have any physical proof that the Siemssen SCO 5000 ND contains a this chipset? I'm starting to have my doubts, especially considering that Zoran aren't exactly saying much about their series of chips, or the differences between them. Then again, it still just could be some manufacturers (like Yamada and Rowa) being lazy...
Like I've told you in another other thread...
Quote:
...just because other players fitted with the Zoran chip-set can spin MPEG-4 within the .MP4 container, does not mean your player will be able to do the same!

You only have to look at posts submitted by some Philips DVP6xx owners to realise how the technical abilities of their players are lagging behind other players fitted with the same ESS Vibratto II chip-set
And which is why the following is written at the start of every "Chip-set" Information" thread: -
Quote:
Please note:
The information listed below identifies the known "maximum" capabilities of the chip-set and has been compiled from various sources. It therefore does not necessarily mean that your player will be able to support all of them.
As I've also mentioned before (in other threads).... If your stand-alone can't play content that other players fitted with the same chip-set can.... Please, contact your device manufacturer and tell them about it! Ask them why? Ask them what their future support plans are?

Cheers
Old 17th August 2005, 21:31   #46  |  Link
zilog jones

Yeah, I know, I'm just a bit pissed off -_-

Actually, I am planning on annoying Yamada on the subject, though as it looks identical to some players under different brands it's possible it's not even them who make the thing...
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 03:06   #47  |  Link
CobraX

Quote:
Others use it without problems see here (link), anyway the worse thing that will happen is that your Xbox will (automaticly) switch itself off when the CPU gets over-heated (it has built-in over-heat protection that does that) if it does then all you have to do is wait a while until the Xbox cools off before you can safely turn it back on and try a higher setting, ...however if you want to play it safe then you can use the temperature control fan setting in XBMC, 55-60 degrees C should cause no problems, try it.
Hehe I installed a new XBMC build (was still using XBMC 1.0 that's why I didn't see the auto temperature control option ). When I set the Auto Temperature Control to 60° C the noise was much less but still clearly hearable. But it's bearable now I guess. Thanks for the information . I think I'll keep my Xbox for now as my movie player until the AVC ND hardware players are out.

(Damn nice new features in this XBMC build: watch music videos, watch trailers and a damn nice skin [mayhem III I believe])
Old 19th August 2005, 15:59   #48  |  Link
Y.T.

Quote:
Also what about post processing? You can enable this in FFDShow but I assume that hardware DivX player don't have this setting?
Interesting point. Subjectively I would say that the picture my Sigmatek puts out is way better than playing an MPEG4 movie back without any post-processing on a PC. So I'm pretty sure they do some post-processing at some point. Of course smoothing it out too much might lead to heavy loss of details... On my player the only option offered software-wise that might affect this is a "picture sharpness" setting. Personally I have found that keeping that setting low offers a more natural-looking picture.
Y.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 17:50   #49  |  Link
Cyberace

Some good test samples worth mentioning your player should be able to play all these:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~fhoesli/video/
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...s/trailers.php
http://www.dvdloc8.com/list_dvd_clip.php
http://www.cinenow.com/us/vobtrailer.php3
Burn all on a CD-R/DVD-R and bring to the store for test before you cough up the cash

PS! @Y.T. you might want to link to wikipedia or xboxmediacenter.com in regards to XBMC

Last edited by Cyberace; 22nd August 2005 at 18:38.
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:56   #50  |  Link
masken
uhm... ?

Thank you Y.T.! Generally, this is a very useful compilation of information for a buyer!
masken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 18:49   #51  |  Link
TiaoMacaleh

Quote:
Hehe I installed a new XBMC build (was still using XBMC 1.0 that's why I didn't see the auto temperature control option ). When I set the Auto Temperature Control to 60° C the noise was much less but still clearly hearable. But it's bearable now I guess. Thanks for the information . I think I'll keep my Xbox for now as my movie player until the AVC ND hardware players are out.

(Damn nice new features in this XBMC build: watch music videos, watch trailers and a damn nice skin [mayhem III I believe])

Beware on recent models they REMOVED the thing that measure cpu temp on xbox models.... so it isnt acurate
TiaoMacaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 09:06   #52  |  Link
Y.T.

Quote:
Some good test samples worth mentioning [...]
Thanks for all the links Cyberace, I've added them to the guide.
Y.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 15:18   #53  |  Link
Menzonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaoMacaleh
Beware on recent models they REMOVED the thing that measure cpu temp on xbox models.... so it isnt acurate
I'm curious, what precisely do you mean by "it isn't accurate"? Do you mean that the measured temperature deviates significantly from the real temperature (i.e. it is inaccurate), or do you mean that using the thermostatic control on such an xbox will cause it to quickly overheat and shutdown? Thanks in advance.
Menzonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 11:07   #54  |  Link
Cyberace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.T.
Quote:
Some good test samples worth mentioning [...]
Thanks for all the links Cyberace, I've added them to the guide.
Here are some DivX 6.0 and DMF (DivX Media Format contrainer) test-samples to add as well:
(menu, chapters, multi-sub XSUB, XTAG video tags, 5.1 MP3 Surround in .divx file extension)
http://www.divxtest.com/article.php3?id_article=125
http://www.divxtest.com/form/divxtest2_add.php?lang=eng
http://www.divxtest.com/form/divxtest2_list.php
http://www.divx.com/movies/detail.php?movieID=23&cID=4

PS! To be able to fully enjoy DMF (DivX Media Format, a.k.a. DivX Ultra) files you played needs to be DivX Ultra Certified. (Current DivX® Certified devices will playback DivX 6 files, but will not offer full support for the advanced media features of the DivX Media Format. Devices that offer full support for the DivX Media Format are expected to reach retail shelves in late 2005 at the earliest).
Old 20th October 2005, 13:47   #55  |  Link
Qbfinest83

Hey I wanted to buy the Sigmatek XM-400 Pro but i live in the US. Does anyone know site that will sale one and ship it to the US.
Qbfinest83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 11:36   #56  |  Link
Sharro
Xvid Tribalistic Fan

MT1389xx with Ethernet/Wi-Fi and Hard Disk

Simple question, is there any on the market ?

I'm bored of burning RW just to watch a movie.

All the best,

Sharro
Sharro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:37   #57  |  Link
ubermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharro

I'm bored of burning RW just to watch a movie.

All the best,

Sharro
What you want is a modded xbox (original) with XBMC.

Search the forums, it offers just what you asked for.
ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:47   #58  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
MT1389xx with Ethernet/Wi-Fi and Hard Disk

There are already a few "Sigma" chip-set based products that offer connection to your home network via ethernet (and/or wireless). And there are a couple proposed players which will include a "removable" HDD caddy

Plus... the newer Sigma devices are "high-def" capable!
Old 9th December 2005, 14:43   #59  |  Link
Sharro
Xvid Tribalistic Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
There are already a few "Sigma" chip-set based products that offer connection to your home network via ethernet (and/or wireless). And there are a couple proposed players which will include a "removable" HDD caddy

Plus... the newer Sigma devices are "high-def" capable!
SeeMoreDigital do you know if the newer Sigma chips support Xvid's Qpel ?
I've used it on all my encodes and I'm stuck with MT1389.

@ubermensch: I'm looking for something out of the box...and quiet.

All the best,

Sharro
Sharro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 14:52   #60  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
SeeMoreDigital do you know if the newer Sigma chips support Xvid's Qpel ?
I've used it on all my encodes and I'm stuck with MT1389.
Yes.... Sigma's high-def capable EM8620L chip-set certainly handles Qpel.

I specifically conducted separate, DivX, XviD and NeroDigital Qpel tests just to make sure.

Not that it should make any difference. Qpel is Qpel. Unlike GMC with its warp-point variations

Cheers