Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 19th March 2003, 11:39   #41  |  Link
DK

sorry about the incorrect link.

should work now.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2003, 11:41   #42  |  Link
wingphil

does dvx come bundled with compatible versions of avisynth, vdubmod etc or will i have to hunt round for these? or will it work with any versions?
wingphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2003, 11:56   #43  |  Link
M-M-C

Quote:
Originally posted by wingphil
does dvx come bundled with compatible versions of avisynth, vdubmod etc or will i have to hunt round for these? or will it work with any versions?
it comes bundled with every single bit of software you need and it has a nice little online-updater. this updater checks DVX itself AND the other programs like avisynth etc.
imho DVX is the best encoding-tool out there right now and this onlineupdater really saves time and nerves
M-M-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2003, 16:08   #44  |  Link
Wulven

Heh, the program is evolving so fast that that guide doesn't look at all like DVX anymore.
Wulven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2003, 01:28   #45  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I'd like to see DVX crop and resize work like DVD2XCD crop and resize does.
could you please explain a little more precise, you mean smart crop? I have also a suggestion for you, modify ChapterGrabber code to use it as DVX plugin

Quote:
have you tried Managed DirectX for video display?
I heard that MS did a good job on this api but no I don't work with it because installing DX9 would be required
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2003, 20:18   #46  |  Link
Emp3r0r

Quote:
could you please explain a little more precise, you mean smart crop
Well, I hate to say anything without trying the newest version of DVX (actually I did try, but it didn't open my D2V file) but I like to see all the information I need to see while I crop and resize. For example, look at this screenshot
Step 0: I can load my audio files, and choose my desired overall size, which finds video bitrate.
Step 1: I crop off all black
Step 2: I choose a smart crop method to reduce AR error
Step 3: I set for anamorphic
Step 4: I resize the video until I have a decent amount of bits for each pixel in a frame (aka quality estimate).
Step 5: I choose my resize type based upon the quality estimate.

What I like about this layout is it allows you access to everything you need at once (like GKnot) to perform the task at hand: cropping and resizing.
Quote:
I have also a suggestion for you, modify ChapterGrabber code to use it as DVX plugin
Ok, I'll look into it.
Old 20th March 2003, 21:23   #47  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Well, I hate to say anything without trying the newest version of DVX (actually I did try, but it didn't open my D2V file) but I like to see all the information I need to see while I crop and resize. For example, look at this screenshot

What I like about this layout is it allows you access to everything you need at once (like GKnot) to perform the task at hand: cropping and resizing.
the calculator dialog has everything important and can be used with any other dialog.

Quote:
actually I did try, but it didn't open my D2V file
did you install the latest SysPack? Unlike other tools DVX uses multi media api's to get the source info's in order to be compatible with all AviSynth source filter and and AviSynth plugin source filters. Usually this is no problem but there are some ds filters that cause trouble with ds and mci (wraps ds nowadays I think) for instance ogg subtitle mixer and VobSub below 2.20. If you have a proper AviSynth installed and a proper script, there should be no problem
Old 21st March 2003, 00:35   #48  |  Link
Emp3r0r

Quote:
did you install the latest SysPack?
Yes, I installed all that. I'm not really sure what the problem is but when I choose my source d2v file it seems to be loading it but shows the following preview window as if it failed. http://jvance.com/files/preview.gif

The d2v file is fine and works great with the following avisynth script

MPEG2Source("F:\DVD\Panic Room\panicroom.d2v")
Old 21st March 2003, 01:04   #49  |  Link
colordog
Mad Scientist

Scheduling more than 1 movie in DVX

Howdy DVX-philes...

After looking at DVX, I have to admit that I'm pretty impressed. I love the "Add Script" function in the AVScript Editor, where you can scroll through them all and have them auto-inserted into the script.

The one thing that's stumping me (switching over from GKnot) is how to schedule more than one movie encode at a time? I manually decrypt VOBS with DVDdecrypter, and then manually execute DVD2AVI on it. I open up the .d2v file in DVX, choose all my settings, blah, and then keep hitting the "next" button at the bottom.

Finally, it shows me the script that it will use, I hit "next", and the DVX windows closes and is replaced by the "DVX Encoding Process" window. BeSweet starts, then VDubMod, etc., and I get a great movie at the end. But how can I tell it to start another movie after that?

If I reopen DVX, and click on the big "Jobs" button, all the buttons are greyed out. So I don't know how to set up DVX to encode all day, and the few guides out there don't explain that.
colordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2003, 01:16   #50  |  Link
jernst
Gentoo rocks !

Instead of hitting "next" button, just click on the jobs button when you are ready and you'll see that the buttons won't be grayed out. They should be grayed out only of you didn't selected any source yet.

In the jobs dialog, click on add, close the dialog, configure your next movies the same way and when you are ready to start the whole thing click on the jobs button and then click on "run" (or execute, I don't remember).
jernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2003, 01:34   #51  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Yes, I installed all that. I'm not really sure what the problem is but when I choose my source d2v file it seems to be loading it but shows the following preview window as if it failed. http://jvance.com/files/preview.gif

The d2v file is fine and works great with the following avisynth script

MPEG2Source("F:\DVD\Panic Room\panicroom.d2v")
DVX creates a avs file *_Source.avs to get the source info's, if this failes it displays the script for the case it displays a error message, can you enlarge the window, does it show a error message? Wenn you open *_Source.avs in WMP, does it show a proper overall length
Old 21st March 2003, 01:54   #52  |  Link
Emp3r0r

Quote:
can you enlarge the window, does it show a error message? Wenn you open *_Source.avs in WMP, does it show a proper overall length
I can't enlarge that window and I see no error message. The avs script it creates is fine in VirtualDub and WMP... I see no problem with the *_Source.avs files. Maybe I will try uninstalling everything and doing it from fresh.
Old 24th March 2003, 01:25   #53  |  Link
colordog
Mad Scientist

After encoding hundreds of things with GKnot, I've now tried encoding three movies with DVX RC29 (and latest system pack) that I just finished with GKnot. I've gotten problems with DVX not manifested in GKnot.

1) All the audios (three of three, encoded to CBR MP3) have periodic, high-frequency 'bleeps'. You know, sounds like a really high scratch, that you hear from shitty MP3s sometimes. A look at the BeSweet log file though shows no errors. The 'bleeps' aren't existant in the GKnot encoded version, which has very similiar command arguements. Here's the log from DVX's BeSweet:

Quote:
BeSweet v1.5b16 by DSPguru.
--------------------------
Using lame_enc.dll v1.28 (4/6/2002), Engine 3.92 <http://www.mp3dev.org/>.

Logging start : 03/23/03 , 15:03:46.

C:\Program Files\DVX\SysPack\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 LPCM T01 48KHz_Cut.wav -output C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 LPCM T01 48KHz.mp3 -logfile C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 LPCM T01 48KHz_Cut_BeSweet.log ) -azid( -n1 -c normal -L -3db -g 10db ) -ota( -G max ) -lame( --scale 1 -p --alt-preset cbr 80 )

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 LPCM T01 48KHz_Cut.wav
[00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 LPCM T01 48KHz.mp3
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: Yes
[00:00:00:000] | PostGain normalize to : 0.97
[00:00:00:000] | Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
[00:00:00:000] +-------- LAME -------
[00:00:00:000] | 'cbr 80' preset is used
[00:00:00:000] +---------------------
[01:33:06:203] Conversion Completed !
[01:33:06:203] Actual Avg. Bitrate : 80kbps
[00:22:04:000] <-- Transcoding Duration
2) In three of three movies I've tried, the audios all had a persistent, increasing delay from the movie. Here, they were all aligned at the start of the movie, and became increasing out of sync as the movie progresses. Near the end of the movie, the audio is ahead by 2-20 seconds. GKnot-encodedversions were synced.

3) In one of the three cases, the credits were not appended to the movie. VDubMod provided an error stating that it could not find the appropriate file. Unfortunately, DVX does not seem to log errors like GKnot does (no mention of this error in any log). What I've been able to determine manually is that the Movie+audio-nocredits segment was in the \Movie directory, and the credits were in the \Movie\VTS_01_1_Temp directory, and the script sent to VDubMod assumed them to be in the same directory:

Quote:
VirtualDub.Open("C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\Movie_Movie.avi",0,0);
VirtualDub.Append("C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\Movie_Credits.avi");
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\vobs\MOVIE\VIDEO_TS\Movie_SecondPass.avi");
The problem here of course is that the credits were in \Movie\Video_TS\VTS_01_1_Temp. I'm unclear why one time out of three it was unable to do this. I'm not sure whether the credits were supposed to be out of the Temp directory, or whether the script was to be told to look in the Temp directory.

Has anyone had similar results with DVX?
Old 24th March 2003, 02:14   #54  |  Link
vorbis

80kps seems awfully low for cbr mp3. perhaps thats the problem
Old 24th March 2003, 02:27   #55  |  Link
Herske

I've played a bit with DVX today, not bad at all.

Unfortunately, the main window is not resizable, I'm using 800x600 (don't ask); for example, the crop windows goes way outside the screen and I can' resize it.

Other than that, I like it.
Herske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 02:32   #56  |  Link
colordog
Mad Scientist

@ vorbis

I know 80kps is low - But I do have a reason for using it. The point is is that the 80kps MP3 when processed by GKnot has no 'pops' and is synced; not so with DVX.
Old 24th March 2003, 03:33   #57  |  Link
Wulven

I believe Dolemite made a crop plugin for 800x600 users. I haven't tried it, but a thread on the DVX site says it is here:
http://www.planetdvb.net/dvx/crop.rar

Dunno if this will help you at all.
Wulven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 12:13   #58  |  Link
wotef

i'm impressed by dvx but i really don't like the way the syspack adds things to the winnt\system32 area - e.g. i already had avisynth installed and expected dvx to use its own discrete avisynth subdirectory, which it does for the plugins, but not for the dll --> when i uninstall the syspack, avisynth is removed from my system, as is the *.avs file association - - also, even though i didn't ask for the syspack to install any ogg directshow filters, after i uninstall the syspack, i can't play ogm files anymore --> i have to reinstall tobias' filters

basically, isn't there a better way of installing/uninstalling the syspack so that the user's system is not altered from its pre-installation state??
wotef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 12:26   #59  |  Link
jernst
Gentoo rocks !

Latest versions of the SysPack are only uninstalling what has been installed by the SysPack (=what you selected). What version did you use to install the SysPack ? (please note that when using the online updater every package is installed regardless of what you choosed in your first installation)

As for the other problem (replacing current avisynth version), I don't see an easy way to make the syspack not uninstall things that you choosed to replace; and I don't think it's good practice to let garbage in system32 or registry when you uninstall something.

(Btw the SysPack contains the latest/best version of every single program it contains so that uninstallation shouldn't be used too often.)
jernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 12:56   #60  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

After reading this thread I tried DVX too. Unfortunaly I have the same problem that Emp3r0r has. I can't open any D2V files properly. All I get is a non-resizeable window which is no good. All the .avs scripts work fine by the themselves, I can see the movie length properly in WMP6.4, but DVX fails to detect it. I Believe that DVX needs more work because this may be some compatibility problem. Using newer APIs may be good, but has some problems as it seems. For me it is useless.