Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 21st December 2005, 08:07   #1  |  Link
Stealth3si

Shrink: transcode or Re-re-encode?

i have very improtant question:

i already re-encoded and compressed DVD-9 to a divx or xvid file(s) (for divx player) and they almost-perfect copies of original DVD, which i lost. But now i only have my divx files (which are XLNT qualities to begin with), and with intentions of making my own personal DVD movie with menus, I have already converted to DVD format and authored them to DVD -ready-to-burn. At this point they are same quality b'c i convert not re-encode. But movies has bigger sizes now and I need to re-compress before I finally burn. Should I transcode to shrink it or re-re-encode to shrink it?

Here is easy summary:

1.) I re-encoded and compressed DVD-9 to DiVX/XVID format (THey are XLNT qaulaity BTW)

2.) I converted, NOT re-encode, to DVD format

3.) Now with bigger size, should I transcode or re-re-encode at all?

My compresstion ratios are never down to 50% range, very rarily 60% range, sometimes 90% range, often 70-89% range. I need good time and great quality. Wathcing on widescreen TVs. Oh, I have a P2 Celeron 1.2GHz w/ 768mb ram Thank you.

Last edited by Stealth3si; 21st December 2005 at 10:27.
Stealth3si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 14:36   #2  |  Link
goonix

Hi Stealth3si!

Converting from DivX/Xvid (mpeg4) to DVD format (mpeg2) is a re-encode...

If you choose a lower bitrate at this process, your movie will fit directly to a DVD and don't need to re-re-encoded again.

goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 16:44   #3  |  Link
Stealth3si

I see. Thank you goonix and considering your advice, you just saved me time.
Stealth3si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 22:20   #4  |  Link
Robotik
da kid

Well, I'm not sure who done it with what, but i have a single layer dvd containing the old Star Wars trilogy. My standalone dvd player that doesn't support divx can play it without difficulty, so i assume it is mpeg, and also there is a menu in the beginning where you can choose between the 3 movies. And the picture quality is far superior to some of the original vcd's and svcd's i have, and on my 21" tv i can't even tell it apart from a dvd. I guess the trick must be in coding only a few keyframes per minute, but i've never done any serious transcoding besides using shrink, so it's only a guesswork. Anyway, if you're interested, i can go look into it
Robotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2006, 21:16   #5  |  Link
pelmen

you can split out the audio from the divx avi and use something like besweet to encode to ac3 and use a program that can make DVD compliant MPEG-2 files and convert your avi straight to .mpg with it (just making an MPEG-2 file is not DVD compliant). if you used DVD compliant encoder/settings then you can drop the mpg and ac3 files into a dvd authoring package and they will not have to be re-encoded to make the dvd. it will save steps and save multiple re-encodes but it may take you some practice to get the settings perfect for the mpg file to be DVD compliant (if its not the dvd authoring package will re-encode it)
pelmen is offline   Reply With Quote