Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th June 2002, 14:45   #1  |  Link
Demone

A sharpener directx filter

I was thinking about using a directshow filter that can sharpen the image and that insert between the divx codec and the videorender, and that works realtime, is it possible to do something like that, and could it be utile ?
Demone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 16:15   #2  |  Link
ChristianHJW

... for sure possible and maybe even useful ... good idea !! If your CPU is strong enough of course.

Reminds me a bit of the days when Matthias Lenk was creating the DeDynamic.ax audio filter. It was done using his existing assembler code for DeDynamic and wrapped in a Dshow filter example from M$ SDK called 'gargle' ... worked first time. Anybody knows of a good sharpening filter code ( C++ ) ?
Old 11th June 2002, 16:32   #3  |  Link
Demone

Right
I was playing around with the filtergraph and thought at this, obviously u need a good cpu, but I remember that in photoshop and probably in a 'standard' sharpening algorithm the more u sharpen the more time consuming, so ppl should set it as low as they have no playback problems...btw with my athlon 1800 using the virtualdub sharpener its working ok...u must take into account the yuv-rgb conversion probably, but I'd like to try
Can u or anyone else help ?
Old 11th June 2002, 18:08   #4  |  Link
Emp3r0r

isn't this functionality already in fddshow decoder filter? It has a neat noise option too.
Old 13th June 2002, 08:49   #5  |  Link
Demone

Yes, but I was thinking about a stupid sharpener that can connect between the filter output and the render, so u can for example use the divx5 film effect...
Old 13th June 2002, 09:31   #6  |  Link
Wuntvor

The latest version of ffdshow can accept yuv2 and rgb32 input , so you can use it after the divx 5 decoder if you like to try ..

/wuntvor
Wuntvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2002, 17:06   #7  |  Link
Demone

Wuntvor, it doesnt seem to work.
I tried it in graphedit and I dunno how to link it after the divx5 decoder, there must be an in between filter converter to add ?
Old 13th June 2002, 19:37   #8  |  Link
Wuntvor

Hmm, Im sorry, I dont really know how you're supposed to make it work, I just read that Milan has made ffdshow ta accept yuv2 and rgb24 input from other decoders, ans dince he has the sharpener effect I thought it should work..

Hmm I now read the page again and it says it accepts yuy2 and rgb24 , however the rgb24 input is in the CVS, not in the build version you can download..
I wonder what the divx5 decoder uses as format?

Anyone knows how/if one can make this work ?

ill try to play around with it, but Im really out of free time right now, so it will ta ke a while..

Heres the ffdshow homepage btw...
ffdshow homepage

regards
/wuntvor
Wuntvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2002, 05:59   #9  |  Link
Prosper
A Very Silly Person (VSP)

Simple, in ffdshow config, check 'raw', and the renderer will automatically insert ffdshow after most decoders, eg MPEG, ASF, WMV, etc.
Prosper is offline   Reply With Quote