Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2002, 22:08   #21  |  Link
Neo Neko

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba
I have at least 5 S-VHS VCR's from diferant models and makers.
Any recomendations? Can I borrow one?
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2002, 23:26   #22  |  Link
kopelen

Re: Re: afaik

Quote:
Originally posted by Ookami
Fact is that the noise reduction filters etc. work much better if you capture at full PAL (or NTSC).

Fact is that all the things that Scuba (in his second posting, I highly disagree with "I have a video capture/Edit card that work in Mjpeg codec. The card run on computers from 350Mhz and up.
It give much better quality then all of the display cards/TV Tuner cards all together") mentioned are a fact too .

Fact is that the picture quality CAN be improved.

Fact is that the Asus cards (Chrontel chip) are way superior to all TV tuner cards out there (and to 99% of the mid range cards like DC10,30 etc.).

Fact is that I'm tired to write the same old stuff every week or so...

Fact is that I preached the same (wrong) stuff "Why should I capture a inferior format like VHS at a high resolution?", for months, before the pro's at Ultimateboard PROVED me wrong.

Fact is that you should use a SVHS VR as the tuner for you capture card (the only TV card that has a similar quality is the Asus TV box).

Fact is that my PC is not working like it should . Scuba, check your PM's .

So, test for yourself and THEN post!

Cheers,

Ookami.

I'm a bit troubled about the Chrontel chips and since Ookami constantly mentions the Asus/Chrontel cards being the best of the best, I want to buy one NOW.

Ookami, your posts leave me with more questions to ask. Hopefully I can get some answers out of you or from someone else.

Searching through Google.com using keyword, 'Chrontel CH7007A', I found only three Asus video cards that are equipped with this particular chip.

*V7700 Deluxe - GF2 TI200
*V7100 Deluxe - GF2 MX Series
*V3800TVR - ??

Unfortunately ( I will further verify this ), the GF3 Deluxe does not have the Chrontel chip - it may be that Asus is now using Brooktree chips.

But the question is, after searching for Chrontel chips in Google.com, I only found Chrontel chips to be used for Video-Out and not Video-In. I'm still in the process of understanding about video capturing and just want to know if the Chrontel chips ARE suppose to be used for Video-Out and does this improve overall video quality of captures? I thought it would be the Video-In chip that affects the quality of the source coming in.

After much investigation, I found out that the V7700 Deluxe has a Conexant chip for Video-In and Chrontel chip for Video-Out.

Please someone clarify what I don't understand, thanks.

Also, if I were to buy the V7700 Deluxe and Asus TV box/SVHS VCR, will I be able to capture NTSC TV @ 748x480 res using huffyuv using Virtual Dub ( the res. is most likely not correct - 7xx X 480)?

Thanks.

-kopelen
Old 16th March 2002, 03:48   #23  |  Link
takeru
Anime XviD'er

fyi: the asus 8200 T2/T5 deluxe use phillips encoder chips, SAA7108E.
takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 05:56   #24  |  Link
kopelen

Quote:
Originally posted by takeru
fyi: the asus 8200 T2/T5 deluxe use phillips encoder chips, SAA7108E.
Thanks for replying with that info. Ookami says the Chrontel chips are the best. But IYHO, do you think the Philips is just as good if not better?
Old 16th March 2002, 08:19   #25  |  Link
takeru
Anime XviD'er

i have never seen the quality from a chrontel chip, so i can't really compare them.
Old 16th March 2002, 13:44   #26  |  Link
Ookami
Xe-Rotaredom

Re: Re: Re: afaik

Hello Kopelen,

first I have searched for days for interesting threads, sites, reviews etc. when I wanted to buy a capture card (that was one year ago)... The people at Ultimatboard.de (closed :-( ), have always praised the Asus 3800 as the best in town . So it could be that I've remembered the Chrontel chip, but that the Philips chip is the one who does capture job. If this is so, then I apologize. OK, I will no make a quick google search (real time posting ):

No good.

I will try to find my saved technical html page from Asuscom on my HD
Maybe later this day, I'll find it.

Further, the Asus card has excellent quality but buying a GPU for capturing is ALWAYS risky, because:

-if you have a souncard that is crappy or some driver issues you will have to fight with dropped frames.
-it is always more complicated to do a capture from a GPU than with a dedicated capture card

etc.

So, I recommend you to:

a) buy a decent SVHS VCR as the tuner for you future GPU, with Panasonic (the NV-HSxxx series should be good) you are almost always on the winning side :-) . If you are going to buy the Asus 3800, go for a Philips VR 1xxxx . Features that your SVHS VCR should have is TBC and 4 video and 2 audio heads (don't know if this is the right english word?).

b) I will upload these days a short sample of the Asus 3800 capture result, so if it is nothing special (it could be that Scuba will laugh his a$$ off ;-) ), forget it.

> Also, if I were to buy the V7700 Deluxe and Asus TV box/SVHS VCR, will I be able to capture NTSC TV @ 748x480 res using huffyuv using Virtual Dub ( the res. is most likely not correct - 7xx X 480)?

Off course you can capture full PAL (704x576).
But that is nothing special. The main con of my Asus 3800 is that is has VERY few resolutions to choose from, so for PAL I have only 704x576 and 352x288, sadly no 480x576 etc. This is a BIG con for this card...

As I said, I bought this card because 99% of the Ultimateboard mods have a variation of the Asus 3800 + a Philips VR 1xxxx SVHS (because it had a very good price/quality ratio and has a Philips chip in it, like the GPU).

Some clarification:

Conexant is the same as BT (broktree), so it's a big no,no. The only half good implementation of BT is the Elsa Erazor III, but this card has so many driver issues that is almost impossible to work normal with it.

If all fails buy a dedicated capture card like the DC30+ or something (Scuba, should be the one who can tell you what is good for you), and forget this crappy GPU captureing stuff.

Hope this helped a bit,

Mijo.

Quote:
Originally posted by kopelen

I'm a bit troubled about the Chrontel chips and since Ookami constantly mentions the Asus/Chrontel cards being the best of the best, I want to buy one NOW.

Ookami, your posts leave me with more questions to ask. Hopefully I can get some answers out of you or from someone else.

Searching through Google.com using keyword, 'Chrontel CH7007A', I found only three Asus video cards that are equipped with this particular chip.

*V7700 Deluxe - GF2 TI200
*V7100 Deluxe - GF2 MX Series
*V3800TVR - ??

Unfortunately ( I will further verify this ), the GF3 Deluxe does not have the Chrontel chip - it may be that Asus is now using Brooktree chips.

But the question is, after searching for Chrontel chips in Google.com, I only found Chrontel chips to be used for Video-Out and not Video-In. I'm still in the process of understanding about video capturing and just want to know if the Chrontel chips ARE suppose to be used for Video-Out and does this improve overall video quality of captures? I thought it would be the Video-In chip that affects the quality of the source coming in.

After much investigation, I found out that the V7700 Deluxe has a Conexant chip for Video-In and Chrontel chip for Video-Out.

Please someone clarify what I don't understand, thanks.

Also, if I were to buy the V7700 Deluxe and Asus TV box/SVHS VCR, will I be able to capture NTSC TV @ 748x480 res using huffyuv using Virtual Dub ( the res. is most likely not correct - 7xx X 480)?

Thanks.

-kopelen

Last edited by Ookami; 16th March 2002 at 13:47.
Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2002, 04:24   #27  |  Link
kopelen

Thanks for the reply, Ookami.

I believe my mind is set on the Asus V8200 TI500 Deluxe. I had an 8500DV card (GPU capture card), but I had too much trouble with the drivers and memory issues. This is why I sold the card off and looking for another, perhaps, better card.

One more question, Ookami.

I will need to purchase a VCR ( the Asus TV box is a bit expensive and limited in availability ). Would the Panasonic NV-HSxxx series work great with the V8200 TI500 Deluxe? You mentioned that the features that the VCR should have are :

*TBC
*4 video
*2 audio heads

What is TBC? Last time I bought a VCR I only looked for stereo output (no mono). What advantages are there with these other features?

Will Scuba be able to answer this?

The reason why I want to capture @ Full NTSC is because I have found that this works best for my TV captures. I don't have the cleanest source - U.S. Adelphia analog cable.
I simply capture at full NTSC using huffyuv and encode using Nandub - resize filter to resize it to 640x480,deinterlace the video, and compress the audio.

So does anyone who owns a Asus GF3 TI500 Deluxe know if you can capture @ Full NTSC? Also are there res limitations for the V8200 as well?

Thanks again.
Old 17th March 2002, 07:43   #28  |  Link
takeru
Anime XviD'er

kopelen: read this thread also. the 8200T5 can capture up to 768x576 with no drops. chip limit is 800x600, but dunno any prog that goes that high.
Old 17th March 2002, 10:23   #29  |  Link
kopelen

Thanks again takeru, I'll be sure to follow the instructions when I get the V8200 TI500 Deluxe.
Old 17th March 2002, 15:11   #30  |  Link
Ookami
Xe-Rotaredom

>Thanks for the reply, Ookami.

Anytime.

>One more question, Ookami.
I will need to purchase a VCR ( the Asus TV box is a bit expensive and limited in availability ). Would the Panasonic NV-HSxxx series work great with the V8200 TI500 Deluxe? You mentioned that the features that the VCR should have are :
What is TBC? Last time I bought a VCR I only looked for stereo output (no mono). What advantages are there with these other features?

AFAIK, the Asus TV box is MUCH, much better than any other TV card/build in tuner in the graphic cards... But if you use a SVHS VCR as a tuner you will get the same (and even better quality).

As I said, I own a Philips VR 1100 (and the Asus TV box), the Panasonic is the Mercedes of the SVHS VCR's :-) .

TBC = Time based corrector. It "cleans up" the video signal. I have some better and more exact defintions, but not in the english language,I will not try to translate them .

Video+Audio heads: Kika, explained it to me like this (quick translation): "Most of the S-VHS-VCRs have a badder VHS-playback than modern VHS-VCRs. Take a good look at the technical infos.
Modern VHS-VCR's have a resolution >220 lines, a good S-VHS should make the same. This is only possible if it has 4 video heads. (this is probably not translated correctly) You should not count the heads for deleting. ((Wobei man bei S-VHS fliegende Löschköpfe NICHT dazu zählt.))
There is a max. of 6 heads: 4 Video, 2 Audio, there is a difference between 2 Video+2 heads for deleting and 4 "real" video heads.
2+2 is used for editing, 4 is improving the picture quality (only for VHS)."

> Will Scuba be able to answer this?

Scuba, works with proffesional equipment. Unlike 99,9% of the people here . He can answer anything =:-D .

> The reason why I want to capture @ Full NTSC is because I have found that this works best for my TV captures. I don't have the cleanest source - U.S. Adelphia analog cable.
I simply capture at full NTSC using huffyuv and encode using Nandub - resize filter to resize it to 640x480,deinterlace the video, and compress the audio.
So does anyone who owns a Asus GF3 TI500 Deluxe know if you can capture @ Full NTSC? Also are there res limitations for the V8200 as well?

Full NTSC? I read some quite different numbers like 640x480 and even 720x486... Quote: "When digitizing video, it's important to digitize the full 720 x 486 pixel matrix of the NTSC signal (a total of 349,920 pixels)."

Dunno, but I'm in a PAL country so I don't care .

>Thanks again.

I hope I answered the question right. And now I don't need to upload the asus test clip with my crappy dial up. Aaaah, I'm saved ;-) .

All the best,

Mijo.
Old 18th March 2002, 03:09   #31  |  Link
kopelen

Quote:
Originally posted by Ookami
the Panasonic is the Mercedes of the SVHS VCR's :-) .
Well, I do want the best of the best. It looks like I'll be getting the Panasonic SVHS VCR. Much appreciated once again, Ookami.

Edit :

It looks like the NV series are no longer in production? I checked the Panasonic website and they only have the PV series.

Here is the link

Can Ookami or anyone tell me which of the ten would be the great, as well as affordable?

Thanks again.

Edit :

Wow, I didn't know SVHS VCRs are so expensive. Are there any VHS VCRs be anywhere as good as the SVHS VCRs?