Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 16th October 2006, 20:06   #321  |  Link
IceManTX

This tool is amazing! I've just been learning/using Avisynth for a month now and I don't know how I missed AvsP until now.

For the first time, this weekend, I was able to actually see instant differences between plugins that I couldn't decide on before. Now I feel like I am really using the best items and settings for my material in my script.

I really love this program.

THANKS!
IceManTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 23:51   #322  |  Link
Alain2

Small error when trying to open a script I had : ici (difficult to catch as it's closing the window immediately after crashing ; maybe it's possible to catch errors and let them displayed to help you debug ?)
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 00:18   #323  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManTX View Post
This tool is amazing! I've just been learning/using Avisynth for a month now and I don't know how I missed AvsP until now.

For the first time, this weekend, I was able to actually see instant differences between plugins that I couldn't decide on before. Now I feel like I am really using the best items and settings for my material in my script.

I really love this program.

THANKS!
You're welcome! The program's been out for only about a month and a half, so it's not surprising that you just found out about it. Glad you're finding it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2 View Post
Small error when trying to open a script I had : ici (difficult to catch as it's closing the window immediately after crashing ; maybe it's possible to catch errors and let them displayed to help you debug ?)
Thanks for pointing out the bug (thanks especially for taking that nimble screenshot ), I'll get on it. As far as catching errors, the error message window sticks around under most circumstances, making it easy to report bugs, I'll see what I can do about catching exceptions which cause the program to exit. And I'm guessing you meant to type "here" instead of "ici", c'est la vie .
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 03:23   #324  |  Link
qwerpoi

@Alain2
I tried reproducing the bug (it seemed like a unicode filename issue), but didn't succeed. Could you tell me exactly how it occurs, and could you also upload your options.dat file? Hopefully that will give me a better idea of what's going on, thanks.
Old 19th October 2006, 06:23   #325  |  Link
communist

Small suggestion: Could you add a "Copy Script" to the Edit or context menu that would copy the currently selected script / lines in their final form - without the slider definition but with their current defined values. That way you can post the script on the net without having to remove the slider definition or save it explicitly to a file
communist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 06:33   #326  |  Link
rfmmars

A couple of Problems

I wanted to report a couple of problems using this fantastic program.

When using a script for HDRagc where multible lines for varables are used, on a bright scene, you can see a brigther border or a darker square covering about 80% of the screen. It varies on different workstations.

The solution was to have all the varibles for a plugin on just one line.

The second problem pops up after a session has been operating for a long time. The preview screen in the "AVSp's" window appears correct but when that script is saved or called by F6, the image in VD-dub is dark and distored.

The solution is to quit AVSp and load the session again.

Richard
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 08:15   #327  |  Link
qwerpoi

In case anyone was wondering, I'm working hard on the upcoming release, I'm about 90% done with rewriting all the layout code (which will hopefully solve problems some people are having with large resolution videos). I'd estimate the new release to be out sometime during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by communist View Post
Small suggestion: Could you add a "Copy Script" to the Edit or context menu that would copy the currently selected script / lines in their final form - without the slider definition but with their current defined values. That way you can post the script on the net without having to remove the slider definition or save it explicitly to a file
Hah, interesting request. I'll try and have it in the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmmars View Post
I wanted to report a couple of problems using this fantastic program.

When using a script for HDRagc where multible lines for varables are used, on a bright scene, you can see a brigther border or a darker square covering about 80% of the screen. It varies on different workstations.

The solution was to have all the varibles for a plugin on just one line.

The second problem pops up after a session has been operating for a long time. The preview screen in the "AVSp's" window appears correct but when that script is saved or called by F6, the image in VD-dub is dark and distored.

The solution is to quit AVSp and load the session again.

Richard
These problems sound strange, from your description it seems like there is a bug when saving certain scripts. I'll try and take a look into it but it would be very helpful if you could post the script or scripts (including any sliders) which causes the problems to arise.
Old 19th October 2006, 18:48   #328  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Have you considered having an .avsp extension for files with all the markup? And saving .avs without (or with the markup commented out)? As it currently stands it's kind of annoying to lose all the markup everytime I close it, especially since I often use old scripts as starting points for new ones. ^^; Sorry, I know that's just one more thing to worry about.

If the new layout has the capability to show the video on a second monitor (as a window that gets dragged around or whatever), that would be awesome.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 19:14   #329  |  Link
rfmmars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
These problems sound strange, from your description it seems like there is a bug when saving certain scripts. I'll try and take a look into it but it would be very helpful if you could post the script or scripts (including any sliders) which causes the problems to arise.

..............................................................................................................................
Good AVSp Session
http://www.uploading.com/files/N0RG6...aster.ses.html
...............................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................
http://www.uploading.com/files/K9KCY...AVSp.jpeg.html

All Sliders work OK, Export "Script" picture quality fails after hours of using same session.

Problem Preview
http://www.uploading.com/files/PNOR2...AVSp.jpeg.html

Reloading session solves the problem
................................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................................
Good AVSp Window
http://www.uploading.com/files/K9KCY...AVSp.jpeg.html

80% Square in background
http://www.uploading.com/files/3KD0JVBR/Bad.jpeg.html

Problem seen when more than one line is used to call varibles

See below

AVISource("C:\hdragc.avi")
LoadPlugin("E:\AVS\Plugins\AGC.dll")

HDRAGC(coef_gain=2.0,reducer=0.3)
HDRAGC(coef_sat=0.8,min_gain=1.5,avg_window=1,corrector=.7)
HDRAGC(max_gain = 4.0 black_clip = 0.1, shift_u = -10

...............................................................................................................................................................

Richard

Last edited by rfmmars; 19th October 2006 at 19:39.
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 22:06   #330  |  Link
ChiDragon

Hey, just started using this today. Looks like a pretty awesome program. I've come across what looks like a small bug, I hope this hasn't been mentioned already as I haven't read through the huge thread. If you have the preview hidden, maximize the window, and toggle the preview on, the maximized window jumps down and to the right slightly. Minimizing and then bringing it back up returns it to its proper place, oddly enough.

By the way, would an option to scale all text down or up by a percentage or something be possible? Like CTRL & + and CTRL & - in SciTE if you've ever used that. It looks like I'd have to set up the size for 13 font options whenever I wanted to change it otherwise.
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 22:31   #331  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
Have you considered having an .avsp extension for files with all the markup? And saving .avs without (or with the markup commented out)? As it currently stands it's kind of annoying to lose all the markup everytime I close it, especially since I often use old scripts as starting points for new ones. ^^; Sorry, I know that's just one more thing to worry about.
AvsP sessions will save all user sliders and toggle tags, so that may be a solution to what you're looking for, although perhaps a little clunky, since you save all the other open tabs along with. In fact, you can turn on the option to always load your last session (Options -> Program settings... in the Misc tab) so you never "lose" markup when closing and opening the program. If either workaround isn't good enough, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
If the new layout has the capability to show the video on a second monitor (as a window that gets dragged around or whatever), that would be awesome.
It will be there eventually, but not necessarily in the upcoming release.

@rfmmars
Thanks for the files and info, I'll try and figure out what's going on pronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDragon View Post
Hey, just started using this today. Looks like a pretty awesome program. I've come across what looks like a small bug, I hope this hasn't been mentioned already as I haven't read through the huge thread. If you have the preview hidden, maximize the window, and toggle the preview on, the maximized window jumps down and to the right slightly. Minimizing and then bringing it back up returns it to its proper place, oddly enough.
You're right, it is a minor bug, caused by the fact that AvsP tries to resize the window when the program is maximized. It shouldn't occur in the upcoming version, since I'm rewriting the entire part of the program which handles window layout, thanks for bringing it up.

Quote:
By the way, would an option to scale all text down or up by a percentage or something be possible? Like CTRL & + and CTRL & - in SciTE if you've ever used that. It looks like I'd have to set up the size for 13 font options whenever I wanted to change it otherwise.
Unless I'm mistaken, Ctrl+Numpad Plus and Ctrl+Numpad Minus already work (as a matter of fact both SciTe and AvsP use the same text editing component, Scintilla). If that doesn't work try holding down Ctrl and scrolling the middle mouse wheel up and down.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 19th October 2006 at 22:51.
Old 19th October 2006, 23:03   #332  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, Ctrl+Numpad Plus and Ctrl+Numpad Minus already work (as a matter of fact both SciTe and AvsP use the same text editing component, Scintilla). If that doesn't work try holding down Ctrl and scrolling the middle mouse wheel up and down.
It will, as long as the cursor's in the text. Clicking in the tab row or the preview area will remove the cursor (which incidentally also stops wheel-scrolling without clicking back in). Just clarifying, doesn't boter me.

The session option looks good, I'll give it a couple days and see if it works well (it should, that's basically how I use editplus anyway).
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 23:25   #333  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
It will, as long as the cursor's in the text. Clicking in the tab row or the preview area will remove the cursor (which incidentally also stops wheel-scrolling without clicking back in).
Ah, good catch foxyshadis. What we're basically dealing with is that when the video preview is visible the program has two "modes", a text mode and a video mode, depending on which window has focus. Depending on which mode you're in the program behaves slightly differently; it's one of the more subtle aspects of the program. You can read more about it here.

And by the way, I believe the Ctrl+mouse scrolling shortcut works in most web browsers, try increasing the font size to gigantic proportions on a friend or co-worker's pc for good clean fun .
Old 20th October 2006, 01:51   #334  |  Link
ChiDragon

Quote:
Ah, sorry about that, and thanks. I guess I was so busy searching the menus and readme for an option like that that I didn't actually try it!
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2006, 03:00   #335  |  Link
Alain2

Quote:
@Alain2
I tried reproducing the bug (it seemed like a unicode filename issue), but didn't succeed. Could you tell me exactly how it occurs, and could you also upload your options.dat file? Hopefully that will give me a better idea of what's going on, thanks.
Well actually I didn't keep the dodgy file, and I can't reproduce it now Probably a strange character (non ansi/what avsp can cope with) got in there somehow.. How it occurs: .avs files are associated to avsp, and when trying to double clic on this dodgy file, avsp didn't come up but this very quick nag screen only. Process explorer was showing avsp process loading and immediately terminated.

Btw I begin to get used to the video being in the same window than the editor ; only thing required really for me now is the "on the fly" resize of the video in this preview, if possible not affecting the sliders. The resize within the script trick is good but everytime I want to change the clip it means to reload the script.. an independant bicubicresize-like would be better

One more thing for your already huge todolist ^^ Can you add a factor to be used in the preview window for the seek bar ? Like default=1 -> as is at the moment; changing it to 3 for instance would make the seek slider go to mod(3) positions only when manually moved (but still move frame by frame when using the arrows shortcuts). This would help me when I use the interleave function to compare clips, to always start from the same clip..

Can't wait to see this new layout now
++
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2006, 13:33   #336  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Ah, sorry about that, and thanks. I guess I was so busy searching the menus and readme for an option like that that I didn't actually try it!
No problem, as you point out, there's nothing in the documentation suggesting that it would work. As a matter of fact, I only found out that AvsP could do this about a week ago myself , it's a built-in shortcut for the scintilla editing component. What that means is that in general, anything that SciTe could do AvsP can do, so feel free to make requests, some of them will be very easy for me to implement because of this.

Quote:
Well actually I didn't keep the dodgy file, and I can't reproduce it now Probably a strange character (non ansi/what avsp can cope with) got in there somehow.. How it occurs: .avs files are associated to avsp, and when trying to double clic on this dodgy file, avsp didn't come up but this very quick nag screen only. Process explorer was showing avsp process loading and immediately terminated.
I'm guessing you're right about the non-ansi character causing the problem, the strange thing is I've tested AvsP with unicode filenames on my computer, seems to work fine. So if the problem occurs again, try and save either the filename or the options.dat file so I can take a closer look as to what's going on. And by the way, process explorer is an awesome program, I use it all the time myself .

Quote:
Btw I begin to get used to the video being in the same window than the editor ; only thing required really for me now is the "on the fly" resize of the video in this preview, if possible not affecting the sliders. The resize within the script trick is good but everytime I want to change the clip it means to reload the script.. an independant bicubicresize-like would be better
The new layout has one major emphasis - allow the video preview to take up as much space as possible. This means the script window and the slider window have no enforced minimum size like they do now, ie the video can take up the entire main portion of the program, although in the new layout you can drag either window to see as much as you want. Redoing the layout like this was (is) surprisingly painful, it took longer than I expected. Anyway, after I get this release out, and it's proven stable, then I'll see what I can do about adding stuff to it, like on the fly resizing and detachable windows.

Quote:
One more thing for your already huge todolist ^^ Can you add a factor to be used in the preview window for the seek bar ? Like default=1 -> as is at the moment; changing it to 3 for instance would make the seek slider go to mod(3) positions only when manually moved (but still move frame by frame when using the arrows shortcuts). This would help me when I use the interleave function to compare clips, to always start from the same clip..
Interesting request, I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Can't wait to see this new layout now
++
Neither can I . The layout code is pretty much done, still has some weird behavior I'm trying to iron out, so hopefully the new release will be out in a day or two, we'll see.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 21st October 2006 at 13:37.
Old 21st October 2006, 14:10   #337  |  Link
Henrikx

Quote:
so hopefully the new release will be out in a day or two, we'll see.
I get already once the lexicon out of the shelf....
Old 23rd October 2006, 21:07   #338  |  Link
qwerpoi

New version 1.3.0, download from the AvsP download page, you can use this mirror if there are any problems. Here's the changelog:
Quote:
* rewrote entire layout code, size-adjustable subwindows

* make cursor visible when using shift-tab shortcut (suggested by Alain2)

* option to show full pathname on program title (suggested by Alain2)

* filter help shortcut now works when cursor within filtername (suggested by Alain2)

* don't change frame position when disabling preview (suggested by Alain2)

* added option to allow multi-line non-triple strings (thanks Alain2)

* option to use actual avs script with external preview (suggested by Alain2)

* added ability to copy script to clipboard (suggested by communist)

> fixed minor bug with calltip and selecting text

> fixed status bar message for 25% and 50% zoom
The most important change is the fact that the subwindows (the video preview window and the user slider sidebar) are independantly resizable, without any restrictive minimum sizes like before. What this means is that it's possible for the video preview to take up as much screen real estate as possible, useful for editing high resolution files. A couple of things to note about the new layout. First, AvsP tries to automatically determine appropriate positions for the horizontal video preview divider, fitting the video window to the video height. You can take control by dragging the divider to any position - if you do, then the divider will stay at that position, regardeless of the video height. To give control back to AvsP, simply double-click the divider. The vertical user slider sidebar divider is initially set to give the sidebar a width of 300 pixels (you can change this initial value in "Options -> Program settings..." in the "Video" tab). You can show or hide the user slider sidebar by double-clicking the divider, or with the menu command "Video -> Toggle the slider sidebar". One final note is that AvsP tries to resize the program window to allow all subwindows to fit without scrollbars whenever possible, you can disable this behavior in "Options -> Program settings..." in the "Misc" tab.

I'm still working on the details of the new layout, as it still exhibits some strange behavior occasionally, sometimes the divider may be set to an unexpected position, etc. If you have any serious problems (hopefully unlikely), I left the download link for v1.2.1 available on the first post. As always, report back with any bugs or suggestions.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 23rd October 2006 at 21:17.
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:37   #339  |  Link
krisq

This is great . One thing though, when I load 720p file, the script window is getting covered by video window and slider window. Here is an example. Is this an expected behavior?

p.s. I'm dreaming about undockable preview window

Last edited by krisq; 23rd October 2006 at 22:40.
krisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 23:10   #340  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
This is great . One thing though, when I load 720p file, the script window is getting covered by video window and slider window. Here is an example. Is this an expected behavior?

p.s. I'm dreaming about undockable preview window
Yes, that's expected behavior, by default AvsP tries to give the video as much room as possible. You can manually drag the video preview down a bit so you can see your script if you prefer. As far as an undockable preview window, I'll work on it once this new layout proves stable.