Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 2nd July 2020, 02:51   #1  |  Link
joshcali

Help getting started on BluRay backup & encodes after a loooong break

hey all... been on doom9 since 2001, last login 2012...

After DVDs stopped being "the thing" I stopped doing backups.

Just recently, I'm falling in love with BluRay discs and all the great 1080p, 2160p content, and it's re-ignighted my love of all this, and I could use some advice!

Anyone willing to give me the current breakdown on ripping and encoding blu-ray content on OSX? What's current, what's commercially available, and what's the shareware path?

I'd love to know both what's current with ripping, and also what some of the best tools are to remux a blu-ray source for playback on a mac, and/or what the best tools are for really high quality encoding from a ripped blu-ray source or straight remux.

I understand graphics, codecs, streams, etc... lots of experience in computer graphics and tech, so I welcome any detailed or technical advice you guys have.

I'm not exactly a newb, I just haven't done it in so long I could use the overview of what's current and best for OSX.

Thank You!!!
joshcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:54   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

OSX, ouch sorry. Not a lot of experiance there. Also shareware isn't really a thing anymore.

HandBrake would be my go-to for encoding on OSX. For ripping the commercial DVDFab is the only option I know of. The Windows version of DVDFab Passkey has worked quite well with bluray and UHD bluray for me.

I use mkvtoolnix as an excellent tool for getting the files off a decrypted disk, but that is Linux/Windows only as far as I know.
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:29   #3  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

MakeMKV has a OSX version and supports decryption quite well.