Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 19th July 2006, 01:45   #1  |  Link
COREiP

x264 beta when?

how close are we from a beta version of x264?
COREiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 02:10   #2  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 02:23   #3  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

we are close to alpha. We are near of the end of "experimental fiasco" stage
Old 19th July 2006, 04:08   #4  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Man, I could have sworn we were done! Ha, this codec is so stable I could completely live without further advancement happily! Just kidding. SSPPEEEEDDDD!!!!!
Old 19th July 2006, 04:51   #5  |  Link
Dark Eiri

x264 still in alpha? It's so stable and so great-quality o.o
Just needs a LOT of speed improvement.
Dark Eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 05:51   #6  |  Link
nfm
MAGIK

Maybe someboody would implement better cpu's instruction support. To convert simple mpeg to mp4 using x264's command line encoder takes me like 30min. x264 is very slow

Code:
@echo off

title H.264 Encoding

rem --interlaced; interlace switch

x264.exe --pass 1:2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --ref 16 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --b-rdo --bime --weightb --direct auto --filter -2,-1 --subme 7 --trellis 2 --analyse all --8x8dct --me umh --threads 2 --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --output output.mp4 input.avs 

pause exit
Same mpeg to divx using virualdubmod and divx pro 6.2.37 takes a mere 4min with everything maxed out. Why isn't gcc 4.1.1 used? Any word on 64-bit version?, or I'll learn asm and C and will rewrite code by myself.
nfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 07:39   #7  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

x264 is not slow ... in fact x264 is faster than XviD/DivX for example and by far.

It's not an obligation to use the slowest setting. If you use the best setting all the good H264 implementation (Ateme, x264, Elecard ...) will be always very slow. If you want high speed or good quality/speed don't use umh ME, RDO, Trellis, brdo, 16 ref, no-fast-skip ... lol

With expirimental version of DivX (Helium), we can use very slow setting and make encoding at 0.01 fps. DivX Network desactived these really slow setting in final version. The x264's developper could do the same thing with umh and esa, 5 ref limitation, always fast skip, fast trellis, fast RDO ... etc etc

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9

Last edited by Sagittaire; 19th July 2006 at 10:40.
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 07:58   #8  |  Link
GodofaGap

nfm: if you want x264 to be faster don't use such ridiculous settings.
GodofaGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 08:38   #9  |  Link
Manao

nfm : Sagittaire is completely right, but that doesn't prevent you from learning C & asm and participate to the project. And since with the next revision, the slowest settings will most certainly be 20x times as slow as the current slowest, you definitively have no excuses not to code for x264.
Old 19th July 2006, 11:48   #10  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Win64 compiles exist as well, of a very outdated revision. It has full x64 asm optimizations. But it requires 64-bit avisynth (or else hits a major speed penalty); squid_80 largely has that under control, but most external plugins won't be available. He's sort of the one-man band when it comes to 64-bit development, since very few devs have 64-bit windows. (64-bit *nix is another story.) If you're willing to update it, I'm sure it'd be appreciated. (Especially by KRP.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 15:36   #11  |  Link
popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
Win64 compiles exist as well, of a very outdated revision. It has full x64 asm optimizations. But it requires 64-bit avisynth (or else hits a major speed penalty); squid_80 largely has that under control, but most external plugins won't be available. He's sort of the one-man band when it comes to 64-bit development, since very few devs have 64-bit windows. (64-bit *nix is another story.) If you're willing to update it, I'm sure it'd be appreciated. (Especially by KRP.)
it sounds like several AVC and other projects might benifit from setting up a bounty type option like the AROS OS project to encurage and reward coders to optimise and add options.

see:http://thenostromo.com/teamaros2/index.php

Last edited by popper; 19th July 2006 at 15:40.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:10   #12  |  Link
Kostarum Rex Persia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
He's sort of the one-man band when it comes to 64-bit development, since very few devs have 64-bit windows. (64-bit *nix is another story.) If you're willing to update it, I'm sure it'd be appreciated. (Especially by KRP.)
That's right. I can't wait for proper 64-bit build, with all necessary optimizations(like SSE,SSE2,SSE3).
Kostarum Rex Persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:17   #13  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostarum Rex Persia
That's right. I can't wait for proper 64-bit build, with all necessary optimizations(like SSE,SSE2,SSE3).
no use if the rest of the filter chain is 32bit, like avisynth, ffdshow, etc.
Old 19th July 2006, 17:40   #14  |  Link
COREiP

Is x264 optimized for sse4? The new core 2 duo processors have sse4. more speeeeed!!!
COREiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:43   #15  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirber
Sure it is: you can pipe video from a 32bit avs to a 64bit x264. There's a little overhead involved in the pipe, but it's negligible compared to making the encoder 10% faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COREiP
Is x264 optimized for sse4?
x264 will use sse4 when I have a cpu with sse4, and not before.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 17:53   #16  |  Link
soresu

This may sound like a fairly stupid question, but does anyone here know of some good example docs on converting MMX/unoptimised code to SSE?

Perhaps also a good idea of areas of x264 that would benefit from the SSE optimisations.

Both Intel Core 2 and AMD K8L CPU architectures seem geared to running the SSE instruction sets faster, so I would like to start coding on this as soon as I learn the layout of x264 + C.
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 18:00   #17  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by COREiP
Is x264 optimized for sse4? The new core 2 duo processors have sse4. more speeeeed!!!
It doesn't even have SSE2/SSE3 optimizations, unless something's changed in the last couple of months, partly because they're pointless on current AMD chips. (Which internally translates them back into SSE.)

Soresu, both intel and amd publish optimization guides, but I'm in no position to say if they're any good or not. ^^;
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 18:30   #18  |  Link
Manao

It does have SSE2/3 optimizations. And they are usefull for P4 / PM ( and even more for duo cores ). As for SSE4, I failed to find an official documentation stating what instruction does what ( though what they do can be guessed from their name ). That was a week ago, perhaps intel updated its website meanwhile.

soresu : most obvious & not so obvious MMX/SSE optimizations have already been made for x264.

@all : x264 alleged slow speed isn't due to a lack of optimization. It's due to
  • users using insanely slow & useless settings
  • a codec intrinsicly slower than ASP because it gives more work to the encoder ( more choices, deblocking, cabac ).
There are still some optimizations possible, but nothing that will double the speed, except - perhaps - in the multithread area. For example, SSE4 would perhaps speed up the SSD ( ~5% ) / fDCT (~20% ) / iDCT(~20%) ( thanks to horizontal sums ) which would give an overall speed up of perhaps ~5% ( that's completely guessed numbers ), depending on the quality settings.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:34   #19  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

so our best option is dual / quad core?
Old 19th July 2006, 18:50   #20  |  Link
nfm
MAGIK

This is what my cmd prints
Code:
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 3DNow!
I don't see sse3. So I lowered to ref 5, subme 6, trellis 1, disabled me uhm, brdo and no fastskip. I cannot find much documentation about those, maybe somebody has a link to a guide or any kind of info (I got deaththesheepavcguide.pdf, so maybe I'll review that ) . So I'm getting now 9.75fps and before I got ~5fps on HQ Insane, will above settings lower my quality?

Quote:
and a 64-bit direcshow player.

Edit: nevermind, I'll try using higher values and stay close to ~10fps.

Last edited by nfm; 19th July 2006 at 18:54.
nfm is offline   Reply With Quote