Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 13th June 2006, 06:59   #1  |  Link
berrinam

MeGUI profile collections

Hi everyone,

As those of you who use MeGUI should now know, we have AutoUpdate and a mechanism for installing profiles, like Sharktooth's. I think that this is a great way to distribute settings for people who don't know what to do with video encoding, so I think it would be good if we could do more of this, in order to provide ready-made solutions.

Is anyone else interested in this?

Some collections I have in mind are:
  • (We already have Sharktooth's x264 profiles)
  • Teegedeck's XviD profiles. I'm already talking to him about that, so hopefully we can get them implemented soon.
  • AviSynth profiles. For instance, ones configured for iiP, LimitedSharpen, and whatever other magic scripts people like Didee make; also, anime scripts. A lot of these can presumably be taken from avisynth.org, but managing plugin dependancies would require some extra MeGUI code.
  • Audio profiles. I have no idea about this, because I always keep my original audio tracks. Obviously, these would be required for completeness as well, though.
  • One Click profiles, preconfigured for PSP, HD-DVD, iPod, general hard-drive archives, which would be based on the above 3 profile sets.

The idea is that people say if they're interested, and you can post the settings you use as well as any other suggestions you have, and then we can gradually build up a collection of easy profiles to cover all required parts of encoding.

HINT: If you use the File->Export profile feature in MeGUI, then the archives you create will be easier to install with File->Install, and they will be completely ready for publishing on megui.org. I'm saying, 'use that'.

Last edited by berrinam; 13th June 2006 at 07:57.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 07:41   #2  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

I have uploaded a zip file of the few audio profiles I use http://www.project357.com/checkers-a...rofiles_01.zip, but for the most part I don't think too many audio presets are required. My set is:
AudX 128
Lame -V 50
Nero q0.3; br128
Vorbis q1;q3;q5

To my mind using better presets than these it would be a better idea to include the original audio, and that's the only way I would include 5.1 (the AudX was for testing, but I don't think it will become too popular).

Some way for *anyone* to create their own set of profiles and add them as an optional download in meGUI would be very cool.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 07:46   #3  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I think the most important thing that isn't covered yet by profiles is audio encoding. This is usually the most difficult to do because everyone has their own idea's about what is appropriate but I think as a community we should come up with some good settings for the different audio formats. Common Profiles could be

Audio-streaming (audio only)
Audio-DVD (CBR)
Audio-DVD (VBR)

These are only some examples but I think this will be the biggest challenge to find terms of agreement on.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 20:56   #4  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Here is my CT AAC profiles

For stereo encoding

CTAAC (HE+PS)32kbps
CTAAC (HE)48kbps
CTAAC (HE)64kbps
CTAAC (HE)96kbps
CTAAC (LC)112kbps
CTAAC (LC)128kbps
CTAAC (LC)160kbps
CTAAC (LC)192kbps
CTAAC (LC)224kbps
CTAAC (LC)256kbps
CTAAC (LC)320kbps

For 5.1 encoding

CTAAC (HE)96kbps
CTAAC (HE)112kbps
CTAAC (HE)128kbps
CTAAC (HE)160kbps
CTAAC (HE)192kbps
CTAAC (HE)213kbps
CTAAC (LC)256kbps
CTAAC (LC)320kbps

Last edited by shon3i; 13th June 2006 at 21:00.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 22:18   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Im (slowly) creating audio profiles for all needs...
Just give me some time coz im busy looking for a new full-time job.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 22:21   #6  |  Link
berrinam

Sure, sounds good.

Anyone making any suggestions for the AviSynth/OneClick profiles?
Old 14th June 2006, 02:14   #7  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

There should be one-clicks for:
  • 1CD & 2CD
  • 0.3DVD, 0.5DVD & 1DVD
  • iPod/PSP
  • HDDVD/Bluray
Anything else? Most likely for every different portable player under the sun, every single phone and pocket PC seems to support a different audio & video combination >_>
Anime scripts might be sort of difficult, for everything animated I encode the script tends to start from scratch and have a completely random order, but some sort of standardized set which would reasonably well cover most bases would be possible.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 03:06   #8  |  Link
berrinam

Isn't a general script possible, like mfToon or vmToon?
Old 14th June 2006, 03:28   #9  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

I created a profile for video to XVID Ipod conversion a while back with the help of Chipzoller. It is in my thread or you can find it here

Let me know if you need any help.
Old 14th June 2006, 09:24   #10  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Do you need capture scripts at all? There's a lot of issues captures have that dvds, renders, and dvb rips usually just don't, like dot crawl and frequency interference.

Otherwise, anime should be basic: DeGrainMedian (or deen, fft3d, etc) and warpsharp or limitedsharpen, to varying degrees, possibly vsfilter. If it needs heavier treatment someone can edit it themselves, there are just too many possibilities and personal preferences.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 09:28   #11  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Sure, sounds good.

Anyone making any suggestions for the AviSynth/OneClick profiles?
I don't know how the new GUI is going to work (since it's not out), but I'd have lots of use for a few "primitives" that can be mixed and matched. I don't know if they fit in with the upcoming profile concepts, though.

- AviSynth PAL DVD -> 24fps slowdown (available to OCE): AssumeFPS (24,1,true) and SSRC (48000, false). {If you get it to retime the subs and chapters too, I'll buy you a DVD box set.}

- Avisynth anamorphic copy (available to OCE): crop black borders off the original (choice of over/undercrop leaving mod 16), then encode the remaining pixels with no resize and set the DAR/PAR to play right.

- OCE language profiling: e.g. "extract the first audio track, plus extract <MyNative> track if it is present but not first", "extract <MyNative> subs when the first audio track is not <MyNative>". You'd configure the language which is <MyNative> in the settings. OCE isn't really "one-click" for foreign films unless it does this.

I'm not sure how relevant these are. Sorry if they aren't.

Last edited by Morte66; 14th June 2006 at 09:31.
Morte66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 12:58   #12  |  Link
berrinam

Wow, hearing you guys talk makes me realize how un-customisable MeGUI is in the AVS script creator and the OCE. While I hadn't planned drastic changes to them, I'm thinking they might be needed..... Never mind, one step at a time. In particular, the AVS Script Creator should be designed by someone with much more knowledge of AVS than myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
Do you need capture scripts at all? There's a lot of issues captures have that dvds, renders, and dvb rips usually just don't, like dot crawl and frequency interference.
Are the remedying filters for those problems you mentioned single-stop filters, IE do they need special tweaking? If not, then it might be worth adding a special 'Capture section' to the AVS Script Creator, which would just have checkboxes for dot crawl, frequency interference, whatever else there is.

Quote:
Otherwise, anime should be basic: DeGrainMedian (or deen, fft3d, etc) and warpsharp or limitedsharpen, to varying degrees, possibly vsfilter. If it needs heavier treatment someone can edit it themselves, there are just too many possibilities and personal preferences.
Can someone provide templated versions of these, or do they need to be directly integrated into MeGUI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte66
I don't know how the new GUI is going to work (since it's not out), but I'd have lots of use for a few "primitives" that can be mixed and matched. I don't know if they fit in with the upcoming profile concepts, though.
The profile concepts are not related to GUI design -- they should be implemenetable without any coding changes. However, they might (and have already seemed to) bring other inspiration for GUI redesigns.

Quote:
- AviSynth PAL DVD -> 24fps slowdown (available to OCE): AssumeFPS (24,1,true) and SSRC (48000, false). {If you get it to retime the subs and chapters too, I'll buy you a DVD box set.}
- Avisynth anamorphic copy (available to OCE): crop black borders off the original (choice of over/undercrop leaving mod 16), then encode the remaining pixels with no resize and set the DAR/PAR to play right.
I don't like this sort of thing because of the coding hacks it requires, which tends to cause problems in the unforseeable future. However, it is undoubtedly useful for the user, which is what counts most.

Quote:
- OCE language profiling: e.g. "extract the first audio track, plus extract <MyNative> track if it is present but not first", "extract <MyNative> subs when the first audio track is not <MyNative>". You'd configure the language which is <MyNative> in the settings. OCE isn't really "one-click" for foreign films unless it does this.
You're certainly right here. There is already automatic selection of languages in the Settings, but being able to choose the first track is a nifty idea. I probably won't do anything about it for a while, but remember it, because I like the idea.

Quote:
I'm not sure how relevant these are. Sorry if they aren't.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 14th June 2006, 18:49   #13  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Adding vmtoon or mftoon to the avisynth script creator is like attaching a battship with a chain to the encoders leg.

There is a reason it's a mf script.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 20:27   #14  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
Adding vmtoon or mftoon to the avisynth script creator is like attaching a battship with a chain to the encoders leg.

There is a reason it's a mf script.
I can do with scripts like that as I'm a n00b...

Last edited by ~bT~; 6th March 2007 at 19:13.
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 21:06   #15  |  Link
berrinam

I'm not necessarily saying we should add mftoon to the script creator, just that it should be accessible via templates.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:33   #16  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

The artifacts you get in a capture are very dependant on the capture setup itself, so it's not simple to get a general script.

Now that I think about it, denoising for normal and anime mostly differs in how thresholds are set, you can use the same denoisers most of the time.

Light, fast:
removegrain(mode=1).degrainmedian(mode=3)
(can use rg mode=2 and dgm mode=1 for anime)

Moderate:
frfun7().deen()?
(frfun needs its lambda lowered for non-anime, deen probably does as well)

Slow, Heavy:
lremovedust_yv12()

Sharpening:
WarpSharp for fast, LimitedSharpen for strong.

An interesting idea: Once you choose the denoise family, have a slider for strength, which can then linearly map its value to the denoise parameters, raising or lowering all of them in the script based on the slider. I could come up with useful ranges if it sounds good. That might be the best compromise between configurable and easy to use, but it could be a lot to code, I'm not sure.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 15th June 2006 at 13:35.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 05:12   #17  |  Link
Leergutdieb

So are there any more audio profiles?
Those already posted in this thread are down.
Leergutdieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 15:22   #18  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

I created a collection of the most useful presets for audio profiles.
It's still not complete, but it will satisfy most users.
Link: http://mirror05.x264.nl/Sharktooth/M...rofiles_V1.zip

Import them using the MeGUI import profiles function or let MeGUI auto-update...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th November 2006 at 15:32.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 19:02   #19  |  Link
Leergutdieb

Thanks a lot, just what I've been looking for.
Leergutdieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 04:48   #20  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Thanks for the profiles, Sharktooth!