Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th January 2012, 20:35   #7981  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Mav View Post
i dont get hardware acceleration on xvid standard definition files. gpu = gtx560 ti.
LAV Video doesn't support CUVID accelaration of MPEG-4 ASP files AFAIK.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 21:45   #7982  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Mav View Post
i dont get hardware acceleration on xvid standard definition files. gpu = gtx560 ti.
This isn't a major issue as your CPU can handle SD Xvid quite well I assume?
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 23:47   #7983  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
Working too hard lately...
Rev 20 has the files
That VC-1 file works with this revision

However I had to disable the VS option "Treat compiler warnings as errors" because there are warnings that weren't there before.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 01:47   #7984  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
LAV decoder supports ProRes and DNxHD..
I should have asked about the encoders Where are these available ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 02:03   #7985  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

^ ffmpeg can encode to both DNXHD and ProRes

( or at least the command-line "ffmpeg -codecs" says so :-P ).
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 07:25   #7986  |  Link
blexley

Can anybody get LAV audio working with crystalplayer as LAV video is working. ?
blexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 07:55   #7987  |  Link
skingery

Running Lav splitter, audio and video and MPD-HC. I just tried the new .44 version and when I enable hardware decoding with QuickSync I get nothing but stuttering. Doesn't matter if I use EVR CP or MADVR. I have an i3.
Any ideas? Could it be the version of MPC-HC?
skingery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 11:06   #7988  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
I should have asked about the encoders Where are these available ?
ffmpeg, ffmbc, Carbon Coder, Telestream Episode (if we talk about PC)

Last edited by kolak; 10th January 2012 at 17:29.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 15:59   #7989  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
That VC-1 file works with this revision

However I had to disable the VS option "Treat compiler warnings as errors" because there are warnings that weren't there before.
Yes, forgot to turn off static analysis on the standalone project. Fixed with rev21.
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 18:00   #7990  |  Link
Cyber-Mav

yes my cpu can handle xvid playback fine, i just thought i would test it to see if it works. i though the lavcuvid had mpeg4-asp hardware decode working.

could be my graphics driver, im using 275.33. may need to update not sure.
Cyber-Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 18:04   #7991  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

When the input is 4:2:2 (any bitdepth) and all 4:2:2 formats are unticked in the settings, LAV Video prefers downsampling to 4:2:0 instead of upsampling to 4:4:4 or RGB. I see the logic in this, but wouldn't it be better not to destroy any color information?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:29   #7992  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I suppose that can be argued, i don't care either way, easy enough change to prefer RGB.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:19   #7993  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

It'd be nice not to destroy any info, definitely.
Old 10th January 2012, 21:18   #7994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I'd suggest to use YCbCr 4:4:4 then, if checked and supported by the renderer. Otherwise I'm not sure if I would vote for RGB. RGB has the problem that most video renderers passthrough RGB untouched, ignoring their own "levels" option. So for most video renderers LAV Video Decoder would have to be configured to use either video or PC levels RGB output, depending on whether the display/TV/projector needs PC or video levels. I don't find it intuitive that the user has to setup a video decoder filter to satisfy a monitor's specific needs, especially not with native YCbCr content. So I think RGB output should only be chosen if the content is native RGB, or if no YCbCr connection is available at all. Just my 2 cents, of course. In the end it's not really important to me.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 21:33   #7995  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Nothing really supports 4:4:4 (AYUV), EVR claims to accept it, but on most hardware its using software emulation which is incredibly slow, which is why i'm reluctant to prefer it. In the end, if you turn off 4:2:2, its your own damn fault.
Sadly, i cannot make this dependent on the renderer, because i need to expose the media type before the renderer connects, and at least EVR is too stupid to allow me to switch pixel format after connection.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 10th January 2012 at 21:39.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 21:38   #7996  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
So I think RGB output should only be chosen if the content is native RGB, or if no YCbCr connection is available at all.
So you prefer 4:2:0 YUV over RGB coming from a 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 source?
Old 10th January 2012, 21:40   #7997  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

4:4:4 will always use RGB over downsampling chroma, fwiw.

The whole list of which format is preferred for what decoding format, see the table here:
http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=lavfsplit...3d;hb=HEAD#l58
Old 10th January 2012, 21:44   #7998  |  Link
dann23

now that there is support for hardware decoding using intel and nvidia gpu, can we hope for something similar for ati?
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 21:49   #7999  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
So you prefer 4:2:0 YUV over RGB coming from a 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 source?
You were talking about 4:2:2, not 4:4:4. Of course castrating 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 is even more painful than downconverting 4:2:2 to 4:2:0. I don't really think there's an ideal solution if the renderer neither supports 4:2:2 nor 4:4:4 YCbCr. Using YCbCr 4:2:0 has its pros and cons in this situation, so does RGB. Personally, for 4:2:2 content I'd still prefer YCbCr 4:2:0 over RGB, due to the RGB levels problem. Not sure what I'd prefer with YCbCr 4:4:4 content, though. Anyway, the real problem is that most video renderers don't treat RGB input correctly, IMHO. Passing it through untouched isn't a good idea, I believe. If LAV Video Decoder could simply output RGB without having to worry whether the user gets correct levels then choosing RGB output would be an easy choice for LAV Video Decoder with 4:2:2 YCbCr content, if the renderer doesn't support 4:2:2. But well, you know, we had this discussion before. You like video renderers to passthrough RGB untouched, I think it's a bad solution. We couldn't agree last time, so probably we won't this time, either...

Edit: Btw, did you ever check whether the RGB level autodetection works in the newer madVR builds? I believe it should be pretty much perfect now. I dare you to make it fail (without resorting to clearly broken setups like configuring ffdshow to output PC levels while letting an avisynth script convert to video levels at the same time).

Last edited by madshi; 10th January 2012 at 21:52.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 22:32   #8000  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
4:4:4 will always use RGB over downsampling chroma, fwiw.

The whole list of which format is preferred for what decoding format, see the table here:
http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=lavfsplit...3d;hb=HEAD#l58
Yep, that's why I was curious as of why did you put NV12 and YV12 over AYUV and RGB in case of 4:2:2.

Quote:
You were talking about 4:2:2, not 4:4:4.
Yes, but you said "if no YCbCr connection is available at all". Hence the question. The situation is the same thou. You'd be destroying information. And when you use one of these formats, it's because you have information to keep.

Quote:
Personally, for 4:2:2 content I'd still prefer YCbCr 4:2:0 over RGB, due to the RGB levels problem. Not sure what I'd prefer with YCbCr 4:4:4 content, though. Anyway, the real problem is that most video renderers don't treat RGB input correctly, IMHO. Passing it through untouched isn't a good idea, I believe. If LAV Video Decoder could simply output RGB without having to worry whether the user gets correct levels then choosing RGB output would be an easy choice for LAV Video Decoder with 4:2:2 YCbCr content, if the renderer doesn't support 4:2:2. But well, you know, we had this discussion before. You like video renderers to passthrough RGB untouched, I think it's a bad solution. We couldn't agree last time, so probably we won't this time, either...

Edit: Btw, did you ever check whether the RGB level autodetection works in the newer madVR builds? I believe it should be pretty much perfect now. I dare you to make it fail (without resorting to clearly broken setups like configuring ffdshow to output PC levels while letting an avisynth script convert to video levels at the same time).
Maaan, not again. I don't want renderers to do XXX or YYY, I asked for a simple option so we can do XXX and YYY, nothing more, nothing less. You refused so now I'm using EVR CP with some custom code that does everything I ever wanted madVR to do while consuming less power and producing less heat. Might consider going back if you offer the same thou

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter