Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st May 2019, 17:05   #56401  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by distobj View Post
Hi. After just upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers (after being stuck at 385.28 forever), I've been unable to get HDR working satisfactorily in fullscreen mode in either Potplayer or MPC-HC, despite working perfectly in (non-fullscreen) windowed mode in both players.

MPC-HC exhibits the most curious behaviour, as HDR will enable if I move the mouse on to the screen, or let the control panel appear at the bottom; once I hide the panel/mouse, HDR disables again.

Potplayer gets stuck in a perpetual loop once entering fullscreen mode, making viewing the content unwatchable.

I've tried with and without the "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" options (the above is the behaviour without it set). The behaviour differs slightly when enabled, with MPC-HC behaving as Potplayer does as described above.

I'm using the latest MadVR with Nvidia 430.86 drivers for my 1060 6GB card, and an LG B7 TV.

Thoughts? TIA.
If it works with 385.28, why don't you stick to it ?

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 18:15   #56402  |  Link
distobj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
If it works with 385.28, why don't you stick to it ?
Games. World War Z crashes on it, and Nvidia Experience stopped working several weeks ago.
distobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 18:20   #56403  |  Link
garson

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
is this screen pause? the OSD show very odd numbers.
Yes, it is paused.
I will take another screenshot with movie playing.
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 19:32   #56404  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by distobj View Post
Games. World War Z crashes on it, and Nvidia Experience stopped working several weeks ago.
Oh, I understand

Just in case you can't figure out how to make everything work with the same drivers (and we all agree that would be the ideal scenario), dual boot might be an option. Sometimes it's easier to keep two completely separated Windows setups for different uses. I tried for hours to make a single setup work with both my LG C8 TV and Sony projector. With a dual boot and two separate Windows installs, it took me under an hour to achieve that...

Just my two cents

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Last edited by Charky; 31st May 2019 at 19:34.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 20:43   #56405  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I think most people with overclocked 2-series and above i7 can push 4K on CPU if they know what they're doing, leaving GPU just for scaling..
No need to push "4k on CPU", because decoding is not done by gpu shader ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 22:01   #56406  |  Link
SirMaster

Is there any way with madVR to crop the edges off a video without causing madVR to zoom the resulting crop to the screen edge? Does that make sense?

I am using a projector with an anamorpic lens and the image spills off the screen, I just want to crop off some of the video with black and the projector being used doesn't have this option, so I was hoping madVR could do it.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 22:02   #56407  |  Link
hotripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisssj2 View Post
I am still experiencing mini stutters with my RTX 2080 after going to 430.86 and using the nvidia profile.
Can any RTX user confirm they have solved it?
Im on previous driver. Still stutters. Will try latest now. Im certain there will not be any difference. Eventually stutters always return after a fresh install. Wonder what the major issue is, I dont think it is just madvr as I get stutters with EVR as well
Old 31st May 2019, 22:15   #56408  |  Link
garson

Quote:
is this screen pause? the OSD show very odd numbers.
Here's new screenshot, while movie is playing.

Old 31st May 2019, 22:26   #56409  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I am using a projector with an anamorpic lens and the image spills off the screen, I just want to crop off some of the video with black and the projector being used doesn't have this option, so I was hoping madVR could do it.
If you configure your display as a projector, under devices, you can define a visible screen area to remove the spill over. It seems like you must already be using this if you are using an anamorphic lens, is there a reason you do not want to define the visible screen area?
Old 1st June 2019, 02:46   #56410  |  Link
grendelrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I have noticed the same issue recently. Yes it should work as a toggle. I haven't had a chance to debug it, but it definitely doesn't work as it should. It could be a change in madVR, as I haven't changed the OS or GPU driver (I'm testing 430.86 at the moment but I get this issue with 385.28 to).

Please could you report:

GPU & driver version
OS version and build
madVR version

Anyone else noticed this?
I tried 430.86 and 430.39
Windows 10 1809
Madvr build 78 I want to say
grendelrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 06:31   #56411  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If you configure your display as a projector, under devices, you can define a visible screen area to remove the spill over. It seems like you must already be using this if you are using an anamorphic lens, is there a reason you do not want to define the visible screen area?
Thanks for your assistance!

I feel like I have tried the right option, but I don't know how to describe what's not seemingly working correctly. So instead I have taken a video.

Hopefully you can see what's going on.

So essentially, the video spills over the left and right sides of the screen. I want to simply crop in the sides so that black is spilling over the sides rather than image data, because it's a very bright laser projector and you can see the spill even over black velvet.

When I use the "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders" it does bring in the sides, but all it's doing is shrinking the entire video, and that is also affecting the top and bottom of the image as well. It seems to be maintaining the aspect ratio, when what I want is to crop in the sides only, therefore changing the aspect ratio.

The video shouldn't change size at all, all that should happen is the spill over on the sides should be black rather than be active video.

At least that's what I want to do. Not sure how to make that happen but I feel like there should be a way. Normally I would use a feature on the projector itself called masking, but this projector has no masking option.

https://youtu.be/nL9pcxm9phM
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 10:27   #56412  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah, yes. Unfortunately madVR does not have a manual crop option, it can only remove black bars or crop up to 7 lines from all sides.
Old 1st June 2019, 11:40   #56413  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Ah, yes. Unfortunately madVR does not have a manual crop option, it can only remove black bars or crop up to 7 lines from all sides.
Manual crop would be a good feature
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 12:39   #56414  |  Link
elraffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I tried 430.86 and 430.39

Windows 10 1809

Madvr build 78 I want to say
does 0.92.17 the last madvr version? where can I download new builds?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk
elraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 12:44   #56415  |  Link
ryrynz

You don't want the new builds, they're for testing HDR to SDR conversion, a final isn't that far off just grab 0.92.17.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 15:23   #56416  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Thanks for your assistance!

I feel like I have tried the right option, but I don't know how to describe what's not seemingly working correctly. So instead I have taken a video.

Hopefully you can see what's going on.

So essentially, the video spills over the left and right sides of the screen. I want to simply crop in the sides so that black is spilling over the sides rather than image data, because it's a very bright laser projector and you can see the spill even over black velvet.

When I use the "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders" it does bring in the sides, but all it's doing is shrinking the entire video, and that is also affecting the top and bottom of the image as well. It seems to be maintaining the aspect ratio, when what I want is to crop in the sides only, therefore changing the aspect ratio.

The video shouldn't change size at all, all that should happen is the spill over on the sides should be black rather than be active video.

At least that's what I want to do. Not sure how to make that happen but I feel like there should be a way. Normally I would use a feature on the projector itself called masking, but this projector has no masking option.

https://youtu.be/nL9pcxm9phM
Isn't it correct for a 2.40:1 movie to have black bars when shown on a 2.35:1 screen? Otherwise, you would lose image data.

Edit: I think the only possible solution I can think of is to set up a 2.35:1 profile in screen config with the top and bottom of the image cropped to get a 2.35:1 aspect ratio and then check zoom big black bars away to see if the 2.40:1 movie (I assume that is Lucy on UHD Blu-ray) is zoomed beyond the borders of the media player window with some cropping at the screen edges.

Last edited by Warner306; 1st June 2019 at 18:15.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 16:07   #56417  |  Link
bcec

@madshi:

there's been an influx of 4k remasters with teal+orange color grading that looks awful. do you think it would ever be possible to add something like a de-teal/orange at all?
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 19:53   #56418  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by garson View Post
Here's new screenshot, while movie is playing.
i can't see anything odd except for the decoder queue it higher then it should be.
the issue could even be the file it self.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 22:38   #56419  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
@madshi:

there's been an influx of 4k remasters with teal+orange color grading that looks awful. do you think it would ever be possible to add something like a de-teal/orange at all?
Could you list some examples of teal/orange movies?
Old 1st June 2019, 23:22   #56420  |  Link
garson

Quote:
i can't see anything odd except for the decoder queue it higher then it should be.
the issue could even be the file it self.
Thanks huhn.
Anything I can do to change/fix this (decoder queue being high)? This is CPU queue size in madvr general settings, right?
Default is 12, I increased it to 16 (saw some recommendations).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling