Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2011, 18:13   #6941  |  Link
oddball

OK another problem. If I have a video that is just under 1920x1080 (Like 1919x1079) MadVR tries to scale it causing huge strain on my lowly video card (G210 in main PC and INtel HD in laptop). This makes some HD movies unplayable. The only workaround I have found is to set ffdshow to resize always to 1920x1080. Any other way around this other than getting a beefier graphics card for my main PC? Would I be able to have everything set high, 1079 upscaling and CUDA acceleration on a GTX 560 (Thinking of getting the Palit 2GB version) for instance?

I've gone back to 0.52 (missed 0.53 download) for now because of the secondary screen issue.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 18:19   #6942  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A GTX560 should have plenty power to do any kind of upscaling you need.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:19   #6943  |  Link
namaiki

If I get a video that is *just* under 1080p, I just play it at it's regular resolution and have black bars.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 18:32   #6944  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroo View Post
I have installed 0.54, but when I switch to fullscreen mode on secondary display, mpc-hc crashes.
Should be fixed in v0.55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
NVCPL Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames = 0 (I don't know why, but setting this to 0 seems to be a minor improvement over the default 3 for keeping Present/Backbuffer queues full)
Weird!

Quote:
Present Queue = 2 (setting >2 results in stuttering with and without frame drops and empty queues)
After Intermediate Render Steps = Flush & Wait (I'll need to test if Sleep vs Loop makes a difference, I'm somewhat suspecting it may but only at startup)
Everything Else = Flush or No Flush (I'll need to do some smoothness tests so see which is best)
Somehow your PC is always different to everybody else's...

Quote:
madshi, I'd still like to test a build where I can set the Present Queue to 1. Setting it to 3 is still unusable, and setting to 2 is an improvement but not great. Even though refresh rate calculation was fixed, nothing has improved in that regard. Using the flush settings above did help (I can use Mitchell-Netravali (Chroma) + Spline36 (Luma) resizing once again), but it's still not as stable as I'd like.
Ok, v0.55 allows you to choose a present queue of 1.

A general question: Does windowed mode still work better for you than the new exclusive mode?

Quote:
Does the present queue and the backbuffer need to be set the the same number?
Yes.

Quote:
Here are a couple mpc-hc crash on close logs with madVRcpu2
Thanks. But unfortunately madVR logs rarely help for crash problems.

Quote:
Did you want me to get the hang-on-close logs with madVRcpu2 or madVR 0.54 official. I assume madVRcpu2 since it still has more logging?
The logging is still in there. You can use v0.54 or v0.55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
- Only one Monitor (HDTV)
- Reclock does kicks of the display rate change so the graph is already built at this stage. Reclock "sees" the mismatch then changes the refresh rate
- madVR refresh rate keeps moving slightly all the time (eg it is not Frozen on one value).

Doing more testing I notice that the result is not always the same.
1) Black Screen at Refresh Rate change but Pause/Play fixes it: This is the most common with V45. Reclock does the Refresh Rate change and the screen goes to Black. A Pause brings it back to Windowed Mode and you see a still frame. Pressing Play starts playback and it goes back into Exclusive mode and plays on.
2) Exlcusive Mode fails hence the refreash rate change has no impact
3) Mismatch in Refresh Rate between madVR and Reclock - Less common and seems to occur more after frequent start /stops See pic but CCC agrees with madVR so Relcock is the odd one out...very odd!
Yeah, odd. Maybe v0.55 fixes this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
It did not make any difference regardless of the flush settings.
Too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
24fps at 60hz, 30fps at 60hz - still lot of presentation glitches even with new flushing tweaks (I tried almost every combination of flushing and also experimented with backbuffers and pre-rendered frames number but there was no difference at all)

24fps at 24hz, 60fps at 60hz - 0 presentation glitches with or without flushing tweaks
60fps at 60Hz works fine and 24fps at 60Hz does not!? That's extremely weird!! I've no explanation for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
perhaps a wise idea to set FSAA to use application settings.
Yes, definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
BTW I prefer the red OSD, that green is a pain to see sometimes.
Oh well. That's *exactly* what I feared. Now that I changed it to green, here come several votes to change it back to red. <sigh> Can't please everybody, I guess. Maybe someone should set up an official vote somewhere. Not me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm still having a ton of presentation glitches. The only way to stop them seems to be setting "after copy to backbuffer" to sleep or loop, but that then causes the other buffers to drop as they were doing previously.

I have a large collection of logs for you, and I hope the naming makes sense.
Checking logs is a very time consuming thing for me. So although I appreciate the time you took to make and upload the logs, I have to pass. I don't think there's much I can see, anyway. Presentation glitches are usually happening outside of madVR's control, so the logs won't tell me much except that there were glitches, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I am also seeing a large number of times when I quit MPC-HC (using your 3005 version) and the process does not exit and has to be closed via task manager.
I'm seeing that, too, and I think it's a bug in MPC-HC. But what can I say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Have you given any more consideration into a "reset to default" setting?
It's on my to do list. Like a million of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Could you define "presentation glitch"? Is it visible?
It should be visible but if your refresh is higher than the movie framerate it might not be too bad. A presentation glitch is a glitch that occurs outside of madVR's control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_ManPL View Post
Any plans for 64bit build ?
Can you give me one (only one) really good reason for creating a 64bit build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
please don't remove the old path just yet
Don't plan to. I wish I could, but it seems the old path works better for several people. Probably mostly those with high refresh rates, I'd guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
When I'm in exclusive fullscreen mode, I have 96 fps and at some moment the counter in fraps become 72 fps and the counter "presentation glitches" increase.
Try v0.55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Something broke with 0.54 my screen keeps flashing on and off (Nvidia). Tried on my laptop with Intel HD and it does the same. MPC-HC 3033 (Did it with 3011 too). Also MadVR is leaning heavily on my CPU. Typical CPU when decoding 1080p without MadVR is 30-50% on a E7600 decoding with CoreAVC software only (I have a few things in the chain like ffdshow filters amd ReClock). But with MadVR it's using nearly 100% CPU.
Try v0.55. Not sure where high CPU consumption should come from, though. Is that a new problem? Or did you have that with older madVR versions, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Is it correct that all people with these problems are playing their videos on a display with higher frequency, i.e. 24p at 60Hz?
Maybe not all, but most, it seems to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
I'm happy to say that v0.54 fixed all the issues for me (ATI 5450). Finally! Thanks!
In FSE mode CPU usage is about 15% even with FullHD 1080p/24 video (here I have to thank Cyberlink HAM also). No dropped/delayed frames and playback is smooth without notes.
Yey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
If I have a video that is just under 1920x1080 (Like 1919x1079) MadVR tries to scale it
madVR does what the media player tells it to. You can configure the media player to do no scaling. E.g. with MPC-HC right click on the video, then choose "Video Frame -> Normal Size".
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 18:35   #6945  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.55 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* a couple of bugfixes and improvements for dual monitor setups
* added new render option tab named "exclusive mode settings"
* moved some exclusive mode options from "general settings" tab to new tab
* added separate flush options for exclusive mode (old and new path)
It seems that I have to keep both the old and new exclusive mode rendering paths, at least for the time being. Because of that I've renamed the option in the settings dialog. The option to switch between old <-> new is now named after what it really does. The name of the option is now "present only one frame at a time". That's a description of the old exclusive rendering mode. It's disabled by default.
Old 15th April 2011, 18:49   #6946  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Oh well. That's *exactly* what I feared. Now that I changed it to green, here come several votes to change it back to red. <sigh> Can't please everybody, I guess. Maybe someone should set up an official vote somewhere. Not me, though.
SIGH. I know I like the green as do a few others. Sorry for those that liked the red. It really was hard to read for some of us and the green is a LOT better.

Quote:
I saw this on my laptop yesterday. It's very possibly what caused it to not work right and why a reboot "fixed it". I happened to notice after the fact that I had a bunch of MPC-HC instances still running. BLECK!

Quote:
It's on my to do list. Like a million of other things.
Ok, as long as you hadn't forgotten about it that's fine. I know you're busy with far more important things.

For those that want to default their settings, the following key should be removed from the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR

And delete the settings.bin. I think that'll do it, right?
Old 15th April 2011, 18:55   #6947  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
madVR v0.55 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* a couple of bugfixes and improvements for dual monitor setups
* added new render option tab named "exclusive mode settings"
* moved some exclusive mode options from "general settings" tab to new tab
* added separate flush options for exclusive mode (old and new path)
It seems that I have to keep both the old and new exclusive mode rendering paths, at least for the time being. Because of that I've renamed the option in the settings dialog. The option to switch between old <-> new is now named after what it really does. The name of the option is now "present only one frame at a time". That's a description of the old exclusive rendering mode. It's disabled by default.
There is still a problem but less important.

With madvr0.54, counter in fraps become 72fps instead of 96 fps and there are lots of presentation glitch.
With madvr 0.55 (even parameters :default parameters), Counter in fraps become 95 fps instead of 96 fps. Presentation glitch counter increase 1 by one each second.

screenshot here

Is there a difference between fullscreen exclusive mode of madvr 0.50 and fullscreen exclusive mode of madvr 0.55?

Last edited by ikarad; 15th April 2011 at 19:16.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:04   #6948  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Why do you try to fraps your video player, anyway? That seems terribly backwards
Old 15th April 2011, 19:09   #6949  |  Link
oddball

"madVR does what the media player tells it to. You can configure the media player to do no scaling. E.g. with MPC-HC right click on the video, then choose "Video Frame -> Normal Size"."

Heh! That just makes lower res videos shrink into the diaplsy with black bars all sides. I think the ffdshow trick works better and I have setup profiles to make that happen.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:09   #6950  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Why do you try to fraps your video player, anyway? That seems terribly backwards
And why not?

If you want to know, it's just to see if there is no problem with new version of madvr and also I have forgotten to turn off fraps after playing game. Moreover, I wouldn't see this problem if I didn't use fraps because presentation glitch counter is to little and light green is not very visible.

Maybe the problem seems lie to a problem with refresh rate or simliar thing. Fraps shows that there is a problem.

Last edited by ikarad; 15th April 2011 at 19:14.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:10   #6951  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Ok, as long as you hadn't forgotten about it that's fine. I know you're busy with far more important things.

For those that want to default their settings, the following key should be removed from the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR

And delete the settings.bin. I think that'll do it, right?
Here's a bat file for it. As always when editing the registry, BE CAREFUL!

Code:
@echo off
reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR /f
if exist "settings.old" (del settings.old)
rename settings.bin settings.old
pause
I called it DefaultSettings.bat. To get your old settings back, just rename settings.old back to settings.bin. Enjoy!
Old 15th April 2011, 19:16   #6952  |  Link
oddball

0.55 no worky.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:24   #6953  |  Link
Peekstra

I still can't get Zoomplayer get start in fullscreen mode on my second monitor using, for example, when running zplayer.exe /f:2 movie.avi the screen stays dark and Zoomplayer hangs. When I change the /f:2 to /f:1 it works fine.

Manually dragging Zoomplayer to monitor 2, loading the file and maximizing it works without any problems.

This also happened with all previous madvr versions which I tested.

W7 x64, XFX 6950,11.4, ZP 8.0 RC1

Last edited by Peekstra; 15th April 2011 at 19:26.
Peekstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:30   #6954  |  Link

Quote:
Checking logs is a very time consuming thing for me. So although I appreciate the time you took to make and upload the logs, I have to pass. I don't think there's much I can see, anyway. Presentation glitches are usually happening outside of madVR's control, so the logs won't tell me much except that there were glitches, unfortunately.
No problem, just thought it might have been useful.

Quote:
It seemed more prevalent than usual with 0.54, but it may also have been because I was doing a lot of tests in fairly quick succession. (quitting and restarting each time I made and changes to the flushes)

0.55 is completely freezing on me when I open a file. If it's set to only present one frame at a time, I get a black screen, if that option is disabled it freezes on the first frame of video.

If I start the video with MPC-HC opened first, which makes it open in a window, and then switch to fullscreen, it works. (but I have the same issues as before)

Here's a log if it's any use: http://www.mediafire.com/?pi76zccs6nvc6vc
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:33   #6955  |  Link
midiboy

Madvr 0.54 and 0.55 breaks playback in ZP

Hi madshi,

starting fullscreen playback on second monitor with Zoom Player crashes it (no video, just audio, have to kill ZP process)

This happens with 0.54 and 0.55. Previous versions worked fine.
See the logfile attached please.

Thanks for your help,
Alex
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - log.txt (140.6 KB, 37 views)
midiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:38   #6956  |  Link
iSeries

Also just getting a black screen with 0.55. Have to kill player via task manager. 0.54 works fine.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 19:49   #6957  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ok, will make a fix soon.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:54   #6958  |  Link
thuan

I'm also one of "60fps at 60Hz works fine and 24/30fps at 60Hz does not". By does not I meant presentation glitches is not zero as 60fps/60Hz. Another thing when I set every flush settings for exclusive mode to no flush, switching track using MPC next/previous hangs the program.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:54   #6959  |  Link
pdanpdan

0.54 and 0.55 display black screen on second monitor when started with D3D Fullscreen
0.53 works
Maybe it's because of different refresh rate between the 2 monitors?

0.55 has much lower CPU load than 0.53
if started on the same display everything works
pdanpdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:00   #6960  |  Link
Razoola

An observation.

It seems presently (from my opinion at least) that poor madshi is trying his upmost to get these new exclusive mode issues fixed. When fixes for some get sorted it introduces problems for others. When madshi fixes those issues the first people have problems again. It seems to me this could be more me due to problems in gpu drivers than anything else. Maybe it would be an idea to have everyone reporting issues with the new exclusive mode to use a set ati or nvidia driver revision of madshis choosing. I feel it could greatly help this situation.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling