Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 17th January 2013, 02:24   #2841  |  Link
rica

Tomorrow, I will upload a sample. Today, Internet connection is corrupted.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 02:25   #2842  |  Link

Thank you for the sample, and sorry to hear about your internet problems. I know how frustrating it can be.

It appears that CUVID doesn't support this profile/level (3.3) with resolution (1280x1440), but I want to confirm this with nVidia.

Last edited by Guest; 18th January 2013 at 02:35.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 20:41   #2843  |  Link
rica

Thanks,

I gave it a go with 1920*2160 @Level 4 as well; the same result.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 18:14   #2844  |  Link
Selur

How to:
a. select specifc PGCs
b. select specific angles ?
I know older DGIndex didn't support it but since http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=109119 doesn't mention, I guess support for PGC and angle selection was added, wasn't it?
If it still isn't possible to do a.&b. are there any plans to add support for a. and b. ?

Cu Selur
Old 20th January 2013, 20:23   #2845  |  Link

PGC and angle selection are not supported nor do I have any plans to do so. You need to use your ripper to rip the correct things.

Angle selection for BluRay MPLS files *is* supported, however. It was an easy thing to do when I added MPLS file support.
Old 21st January 2013, 09:49   #2846  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
PGC and angle selection are not supported nor do I have any plans to do so.
Thanks for clearing that up. It might then be a good idea to add this to the 'Known Issues and Limitations'-list.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:10   #2847  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
It might then be a good idea to add this to the 'Known Issues and Limitations'-list.
Why? The description for this program reads "DGDecNV is a decoder/frameserver for AVC, MPEG2, and VC1 streams...". It does not claim to have features for parsing a DVD structure.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 10:44   #2848  |  Link
Selur

Because, the 'Known Issues and Limitations'-list refers to DGIndex which is initially was based on DVD2AVI. But okay, than the user manual should at least mention that DGIndex(NV) can open vobs but has no clue about PGCs and angles. Like always this is only my opinion, nobody is forcing DG to anything.
Old 21st January 2013, 14:17   #2849  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Why? The description for this program reads "DGDecNV is a decoder/frameserver for AVC, MPEG2, and VC1 streams...". It does not claim to have features for parsing a DVD structure.
So a multi-angle DVD is NOT a MPEG2 stream? Whatsoever, this is only a short introduction to the program, not a list of supported or not supported features. And that is exactly the reason why most developers/publisher have a "known issues" list.
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:10   #2850  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
So a multi-angle DVD is NOT a MPEG2 stream?
That is correct, a multi-angle DVD is not an MPEG2 stream.

Anyway I'm happy to add a clause to the limitations if it will prevent any possible confusion. I will do that right now. Thank you for suggesting it, Selur.

EDIT: I added this disclaimer:

Quote:
4. While DGDecNV can open VOBs it does not include any code to parse IFO
files and therefore any preprocessing needed to parse multiangles, etc.,
must be done at ripping time using the capabilities of your ripping tool.

Last edited by Guest; 21st January 2013 at 15:22.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:29   #2851  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

A multi-angle DVD is (a little more than) an MPEG2 Program Stream (which makes the VOB file) containing several multiplexed MPEG2 Video Streams, where the additional video streams are meant to be an alternative to brief parts of the first video stream. Video encoders have quite strict limits when creating multi-angle compliant video, e.g. the GOPs have to match in structure across all parallel angle streams.

When you play a DVD with the second angle selected, it plays the first video stream where there is only one, and plays the second for the scenes where there are (at least) two alternative video streams in parallel. DVD Rippers will cut-and-stitch it in the same way to one single continuous video stream.

I only got one DVD so far which used multi-angle, that was the german "Shrek" DVD production, where the intro replaced original english cast screens by german versions; the whole rest of the movie was a single video stream.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:37   #2852  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
A multi-angle DVD is (a little more than) an MPEG2 Program Stream (which makes the VOB file) containing several multiplexed MPEG2 Video Streams, where the additional video streams are meant to be an alternative to brief parts of the first video stream. Video encoders have quite strict limits when creating multi-angle compliant video, e.g. the GOPs have to match in structure across all parallel angle streams.
That is what i meant. It's not like H.264 AVC and H.264 MVC.

Quote:
I only got one DVD so far which used multi-angle, that was the german "Shrek" DVD production, where the intro replaced original english cast screens by german versions; the whole rest of the movie was a single video stream.
I only have one too: japanese DVD of Princess Mononoke. First angle is the original movie and second angle is the whole movie but as story board drawings.

Afaik multi-angle is only useful for exactly one usage: switching "playlists" while playing the movie but if that is not required creating playlists is much easier (theatrical cut vs. director's cut).
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:46   #2853  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Ehm, no, there is at least one more use for "multi-angle", the purpose which gave its name: When the same scene was filmed from multiple angles by several cameras in sync.

I was a professional DVD authorer when our company made a DVD of the opera "Turandot" with multi-angle scenes (indicated by a "shining moon" symbol).

And I believe there are many more MA productions in the adult movie sector...

New German Gleitz board
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:00   #2854  |  Link
an3k

Quote:
Ehm, no, there is at least one more use for "multi-angle", the purpose which gave its name: When the same scene was filmed from multiple angles by several cameras in sync.

I was a professional DVD authorer when our company made a DVD of the opera "Turandot" with multi-angle scenes (indicated by a "shining moon" symbol).

And I believe there are many more MA productions in the adult movie sector...
Yes, you're right. What i meant was that multi-angle is just like a playlist but with one difference: you can't switch between angles instantly while being in the middle of content. A playlist starts from the beginning.

Think about a movie. Theatrical cut and Director's Cut. To make it easy the Director's Cut only have an alternative ending. With multi-angle the viewer can instantly jump between original and alternate ending. He can't do that if playlists were used. However, neither for playlists not for multi-angle you need to save both cuts completely on disc, just the different parts.

Or did i miss something?
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:15   #2855  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Yes. Multi-angle is not at all related to different content. You would have a continuing audio stream, just different videos to the same audio. If you have different endings, you would have different audio per ending, and this can't be solved by multi-angle.

There is a different technique: "seamless branching". A little more complex. Tries to avoid breaks at branch points but allows different content for both video and audio. I don't remember in detail how it works; maybe imagine it like interleaved PGCs.

New German Gleitz board
Old 11th February 2013, 15:52   #2856  |  Link
Selur

btw. is there a method in DGIndexNV to handle soft telecine material like DGIndexs 'Force Film' option? Or should I simply use TIVTC and be happy.
Old 11th February 2013, 15:57   #2857  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

"Soft Telecine" means that the material is stored progressively with FILM framerate (24000/1001), and the (DVD) player has to apply the 3:2 pulldown on-the-fly to display it with NTSC framerate (30000/1001).

Means: There is no IVTC necessary. The video is already progressive. The decoder should "ignore the pulldown flag".

New German Gleitz board
Old 11th February 2013, 16:03   #2858  |  Link
x265

Is there an option for that?
x265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:30   #2859  |  Link
Selur

okay, so writing something like:
Code:
clip = ( FrameRate (clip) ) == 23.976 ) ? clip : tfm().tdecimate()
should work ?
Old 11th February 2013, 16:31   #2860  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Oh, sorry, I didn't check DGIndexNV.exe thoroughly ... no, it doesn't seem to have an according option.

I just created a small test M2V with HCEnc 0.26, it is always decoded with Telecine.

Selecting the option "PureVideo Deinterlacer › Use progressive_frame" does not force the decoder to ignore the Soft Telecine flag.
__

@ Selur:

No; remember the precision of float values. 24000/1001 is not exactly equal to 23.976! (clip.FrameRate < 25.0) may work.

If Donald knows a way to set up the PureVideo decoder to ignore this flag, this would certainly be the preferable solution.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 11th February 2013 at 16:40.