Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 12th November 2009, 23:24   #10441  |  Link
clsid

What about line 2288 in RTS.cpp?
Old 12th November 2009, 23:42   #10442  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

@gngn: The problem is that the subtitle code in MPC-HC is totally failed. The option to have "pre-buffered" subtitles with animations enabled was added, but in fact, this does nothing but waste lots of CPU cycles (more than without this "pre-buffering"). The reason checking "disable animations" fixes this is because it forces the old (functional) code path which isn't totally failed. There is a bug on the tracker about this.

Edit: Also, the subtitle rendering code lets you use animated subtitles in SRT and other simple formats, simply because it parses everything as ASS, so there are in fact no "always static" formats as far as the renderer is concerned.

Last edited by thewebchat; 12th November 2009 at 23:44.
Old 13th November 2009, 00:06   #10443  |  Link
Andy o

Hi guys, are the people who were having stuttering after 1311 still having problems with 1335? I am having stuttering when VSync is enabled and my card is set to 1080/60i output with everything after 1311.
Old 13th November 2009, 04:23   #10444  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Has there been any progress with regard to solving the slow loading bug that people are experiencing on Windows 7 when using EVR CP? Some people are getting delays up to 30 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
None of the dev's can reproduce this issue so its not being worked on.
I've noticed, that Win7 will cache directory listings and show their contents when browsing, even though the drive is in a powered down state. Then when accessing a file, it takes 10-15 seconds to spin up the drive. Perhaps this is a partial cause? I see it on my htpc.
Old 13th November 2009, 07:00   #10445  |  Link
Hypernova

Well, I have an opposite opinion on subtitle renderer. While it's not as good as I want it to be, it is the only way to get animated subtitle going smoothly with desktop resolution texture size. It maybe use more CPU cycle, sure, but it's far more than "doing nothing". Since there is a way to disable it, I don't really see a problem with it.
Old 13th November 2009, 07:04   #10446  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

Hypernova, your CPU usage will go down by about 10% and you will still get animations if you uncheck "prebuffer subtitles" or set "subpictures to buffer ahead" to 0.
Old 13th November 2009, 08:08   #10447  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
What about line 2288 in RTS.cpp?
That might help, but like thewebchat says, according to the people who really understand the subtitle renderer it does indeed have 2 unique codepaths, one that never animates and one that always animates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Hi guys, are the people who were having stuttering after 1311 still having problems with 1335? I am having stuttering when VSync is enabled and my card is set to 1080/60i output with everything after 1311.
Try resetting your settings, or at least the subtitle renderer settings, due to a change animation has been enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
I've noticed, that Win7 will cache directory listings and show their contents when browsing, even though the drive is in a powered down state. Then when accessing a file, it takes 10-15 seconds to spin up the drive. Perhaps this is a partial cause? I see it on my htpc.
Sounds plausible. Can you throw this idea into that thread about it?

See if the users can still reproduce if all hdd power saving options are disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Well, I have an opposite opinion on subtitle renderer. While it's not as good as I want it to be, it is the only way to get animated subtitle going smoothly with desktop resolution texture size. It maybe use more CPU cycle, sure, but it's far more than "doing nothing". Since there is a way to disable it, I don't really see a problem with it.
This probably works because that way the subtitles are rendered at the target resolution and don't require a last minute scaling step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebchat View Post
Hypernova, your CPU usage will go down by about 10% and you will still get animations if you uncheck "prebuffer subtitles" or set "subpictures to buffer ahead" to 0.
That's really bizarre, do you have any further information about this?

Last edited by tetsuo55; 13th November 2009 at 08:12.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:48   #10448  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebchat View Post
I tried that. That's why I said "it is the only way to get animated subtitle going smoothly with desktop resolution texture size." Since if I did what you said, I got an animated subtitle but the video will not play smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55
This probably works because that way the subtitles are rendered at the target resolution and don't require a last minute scaling step.
I don't think that's the case. I used 1920x1080 texture size sometime and it's even smoother than desktop resolution. Only at 2560x1600 that I have trouble with. I actually think it's more of a problem with the renderer rather than my CPU (or GPU) can't keep up because sometime it plays smoothly, some other time it's not, with the same file. That's why I said it's not as good as I want it to be.

However, anything below 1920x1080 texture size is smooth, and it is the only way to get it smooth with animation on. I didn't test it throughly but with zero-buffer size + disable animation, it's more of a problem with the hdd can't keep up more than the rendering can't keep up. In fact, not only I get skipping with animated subtitle, but with regular static subtitle too. I should've test this with SSD and see if anything is different. Anyway, this was the reason why I jumped to Beliyaal build quite sometime before his patch was merged to main SVN. I defend it here because I want the developers to keep it.
Old 13th November 2009, 11:02   #10449  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

In any case its clear that we desperately need someone to join mpc-hc and work on the subtitle renderer.
Old 13th November 2009, 11:08   #10450  |  Link
Casshern

Hi,

the 1312 code from beliyaal uses a different method for locking directx access in the vsync code. This causes problems for some people, myself included as the timing of the vsync code is affected (especially if one uses shaders and resizing). For the time being i stick with 1311. This has nothing to do with subtitles. I already got some screenshots and info to beliyaal - i hope this is getting resolved. I would advise using 1311 for the time being, if you have problems with stuttering and/or tearing with newer versions.

regards,
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Old 13th November 2009, 14:47   #10451  |  Link
donaldtone

Since the new suggestion link does not work, I have to post here.

The free container OGV includes Theora video, Vorbis audio and Kate subtitle.

Is there any plan to support this format, especially Kate subtitle.

mpc-hc with haali can decode theora video and vorbis audio, but it can not render Kate subtitle.
Right now the only software player which supports Kate subtitle is VLC (1.0.3 version).
Old 13th November 2009, 16:40   #10452  |  Link
Gamezcdr

Practical question: how to resume a DVD ???
Old 13th November 2009, 16:53   #10453  |  Link
bur

Regarding the Goto command not working, should I file a bug or is it a known issue?
Old 13th November 2009, 19:12   #10454  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
In any case its clear that we desperately need someone to join mpc-hc and work on the subtitle renderer.
But... Displaying subtitles... I thought it was something done by video renderer.
Is subtitle renderer another renderer or it just works thanks to renderer job ?

In fact, you mean MPC-HC needs someone to create subtitle support for EVR renderer, no ?
Old 13th November 2009, 19:35   #10455  |  Link
clsid

The video renderer only does the last step in the whole process: adding a subtitle image on top of the video.

The conversion from text to an image, using the right font, size and color, is done by the subtitle renderer. And that is just the 'easy' stuff. There is animation, positioning, line breaking, and other complex stuff to take care of as well.

But all that code is already in place. The problem is that it is inefficient and often does unnecessary calculations.
Old 13th November 2009, 20:07   #10456  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Yes clsid is right

On top of that there are some behavioural differences between internal/external renderer and some missing features here in there.

Mostly its the performance that needs some help
Old 14th November 2009, 09:34   #10457  |  Link
boiled_sugar
戦場ヶ原蕩れ

I'm sorry. The corruption turned out to be x264 bug. Now it's fixed.

Hi

I tried weightp, the new feature of x264, but MPC-HC can't decode the encoded video correctly with DXVA. ffdshow decodes the video correctly.

ffdshow

PNG

DXVA

PNG

My environment
* Windows XP SP3
* MPC-HC r1335
* Renderer is VMR9 Renderless
* Radeon HD 4670 + Catalyst 9.10

the encoded video and the source
the encoded video only
Attached Images

Last edited by boiled_sugar; 16th November 2009 at 02:48.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:47   #10458  |  Link
avivahl

boiled_sugar: Your sample actually works fine here. Both the internal H.264 DXVA decoder and Windows 7's built-in H.264 DXVA decoder show the video fine.
EVR-CP.
Windows 7.
Haali Media Splitter OR Windows 7's built-in mp4 splitter.
Geforce 8800GT (ForceWare 190.62).
Old 14th November 2009, 10:09   #10459  |  Link
Snowknight26

Might be an ATI only issue. I get corruption in that sample but not in a dozen encodes that I've personally done.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:00   #10460  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

i tested several samples succesfully but boiled_sugar's breaks for me too when the cat scene begins

i used 1337 on win7 x64

Last edited by tetsuo55; 14th November 2009 at 11:06.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc