Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 16th November 2018, 04:52   #1  |  Link
Vitality

Still seeing interlacing after IVTC?

I'm dealing with a SpongeBob DVD with a mix of hard and soft telecine. Some are progressive scan, but with 2:3 Pulldown and hard telecine. Some episodes just are hard telecined. So what I'll do is, try to apply IVTC. If the framerate goes from 23.976 to 19.181, I'll overwrite the D2V with a new one that honors pulldown flags (to make it 29.970), and then IVTC back to 23.976. If it's just hard TC I just IVTC and nothing else. However, I've noticed some interlacing in some parts of the video, mostly on the mouths. And then the interlacing will stop. Is this a mastering error? Shouldn't IVTC have fixed this?

(from my processed/IVTC'd video)

Demuxed .M2V from the VOB (this one appears to be just hard telecine). I still noticed interlacing after IVTC, but not as bad as the VOB.
https://mega.nz/#!K3ZGCIZa!Tgd-6iQVB...O07vaOlkKrixZ4
Vitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 06:43   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

With your source DGIndex sees 86,52% film.
I have encountered such streams in many NTSC cartoon DVDs.
These are DVD-legal, no mastering error.
DGPulldown can apply such kind of pulldown to get a fieldrate of max 3 times above the source framerate.
There must be a software that studios use to apply pulldown past fullframe encoding at arbitrary places
which will set TFF, BFF, RFF flags in DVD-legal patterns to fit a given animation sequence timing into available fields.
In such speedup-cuts you may end up with more than 1 consecutively interlaced frames.
Maybe in such cases I would use TGMC and bob up to 59,94p to have all fields as frames.
It depends on what you intend to achieve.

Last edited by Emulgator; 16th November 2018 at 06:58.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 09:52   #3  |  Link
manono

Make all the D2V files using "Honor Pulldown Flags". Then make your IVTC script something like:

TFM(D2V="Video.d2v")
TDecimate(Mode=1)

It'll IVTC the hard telecined places and leave alone the soft telecined places. Sort of. In cases with leftover interlacing in small places, you can lower the CThresh in TFM. The default is 9. Sometimes you might have to go down to 5 or so to make sure you catch all the stray interlacing. But you should be aware that by lowering it, frames will begin to be deinterlaced that shouldn't be. You might consider changing the deinterlacer to a better one. It's all explained in the included docs.

Alternatively, after the basic IVTC, add Vinverse which is a pretty safe way to remove the residual interlacing. I didn't look at the sample.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 16:22   #4  |  Link
SaurusX

It's just that the sensitivity of your TFM settings aren't turned up high enough to detect the remaining interlacing. Either turn up the sensitivity, in which case you might end up with more deinterlaced rather than IVTC'd frames, or create an override file and manually match the fields yourself. The latter is far more difficult, but will produce better results if you don't go insane first.
SaurusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 02:08   #5  |  Link
Vitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
It's just that the sensitivity of your TFM settings aren't turned up high enough to detect the remaining interlacing. Either turn up the sensitivity, in which case you might end up with more deinterlaced rather than IVTC'd frames, or create an override file and manually match the fields yourself. The latter is far more difficult, but will produce better results if you don't go insane first.
How to turn up the sensitivity?
Old 17th November 2018, 05:37   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

See manono's post above. He tells you the parameter to tweak.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 21:25   #7  |  Link
Vitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Make all the D2V files using "Honor Pulldown Flags". Then make your IVTC script something like:

TFM(D2V="Video.d2v")
TDecimate(Mode=1)

It'll IVTC the hard telecined places and leave alone the soft telecined places. Sort of. In cases with leftover interlacing in small places, you can lower the CThresh in TFM. The default is 9. Sometimes you might have to go down to 5 or so to make sure you catch all the stray interlacing. But you should be aware that by lowering it, frames will begin to be deinterlaced that shouldn't be. You might consider changing the deinterlacer to a better one. It's all explained in the included docs.

Alternatively, after the basic IVTC, add Vinverse which is a pretty safe way to remove the residual interlacing. I didn't look at the sample.
What about using QTGMC Slower, but "Progressive Full Repair"?
Old 18th November 2018, 00:39   #8  |  Link
manono

Why bob it when the framerate is 23.976fps? Why filter the video when it can be IVTC'd with no change to the source?

If you want to take advantage of QTGMC's cleaning abilities, you can use a dedicated cleaner. I don't know what "Progressive Full Repair" is. Is it progressive input (InputType=1)? If so, that's not what it's designed for.

Last edited by manono; 18th November 2018 at 00:41.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 06:49   #9  |  Link
Vitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Why bob it when the framerate is 23.976fps? Why filter the video when it can be IVTC'd with no change to the source?

If you want to take advantage of QTGMC's cleaning abilities, you can use a dedicated cleaner. I don't know what "Progressive Full Repair" is. Is it progressive input (InputType=1)? If so, that's not what it's designed for.
It doesn't bob it. Kept it at 23.976. I tried it and it seemed to fix some of the stray interlacing.