Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th March 2018, 15:58   #49841  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Which GFX card are you using?

I dont think its that anyway as that would also affect the EVR renderer, on mine I only get blown out reds in MADVR, no issues at all with other renderers, I think there is a bug with MADVR but only when using AMD RX cards.
asus 1060 with newest nvidia drivers, didnt notice any color issues, just getting confused what shall i set in nvidia rgb or YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit ?

On hdmi label full range rgb is way to dark but the same settings over pc label looks like YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit on hdmi label, hope it make sense heh
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 16:19   #49842  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
asus 1060 with newest nvidia drivers, didnt notice any color issues, just getting confused what shall i set in nvidia rgb or YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit ?

On hdmi label full range rgb is way to dark but the same settings over pc label looks like YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit on hdmi label, hope it make sense heh
NVIDIA cards dont have the issue I have with blown out reds, issue, only RX cards, I tested my spare GTX 1050 and it was fine.

Your issues suggest to me that your TV is invoking a a separate profile for each setting which is correct, you may not have noticed that one of them is set incorrectly, you may have set HDMI level to LOW instead of HIGH or vice versa for instance.. maybe?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 16:21   #49843  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
how do you even get EVR to use the AMD HDR API?
you cant, my blown reds issue is on SDR material.
Old 26th March 2018, 21:02   #49844  |  Link
Sunset1982

@madshi:

Do you know if madvr's madTPG works with the new autocal feature on the new 2018 lg oled tvs?
Old 26th March 2018, 22:43   #49845  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post

This was covered in great length over the past couple of days. Set it to RGB to avoid color conversions and the loss of chroma upscaling when anything besides 4:4:4 is sent.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 22:53   #49846  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Short update on my HDR situation - the convo above between tyrindor and maxkolonko123 got me thinking about reg entries, so...

I ran DDU and cleared all reg entries and rebooted and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver, and without tempting fate, it has solved my HDR woes.

Go figure now the Nvidia HDR API and the OS HDR toggle look the same.

K
Wish I could say the same about the resizing issue. Just ran DDU myself and it still happens.

Ah well, at least everything works, gonna just have to learn to close windows before watching 4k HDR if I don't want them resized.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 12:27   #49847  |  Link
ashlar42

I've read the past few pages and, as a current plasma owner and most likely future LG OLED owner, I have to say you all managed to scare the hell out of me with all this HDR, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, OS HDR, NV HDR... jeez... stuff could get more complicated only by actively trying.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 12:30   #49848  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatKnight View Post
I've been doing further testing and managed to capture better screenshots (download and present them at 1:1 resolution) to exemplify my findings:

NV HDR triggered by madVR (output 10 bit) BANDING
NV HDR triggered by madVR (output 8 bit) NO BANDING
I clearly see the banding difference (look at the sky), but I don't understand why 8 bit is brighter than 10 bit. Do you know the reason?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 13:21   #49849  |  Link
njfoses

New Nvidia driver 391.35 is up.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 13:35   #49850  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
New Nvidia driver 391.35 is up.
Yep, and still nothing done about broken Custom Resolutions.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 13:40   #49851  |  Link
takenori

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yep, and still nothing done about broken Custom Resolutions.
are you referencing to your post here ?https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=49376
because i have the same problem with my tv (2013 sony fhd) but not with my monitor (1440p chg70 samsung)
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 13:42   #49852  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenori View Post
are you referencing to your post here ?https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=49376
because i have the same problem with my tv (2013 sony fhd) but not with my monitor (1440p chg70 samsung)
Yes, this! It looks like the issue might be only with HDTV's and not PC monitors. I reported the issue to nvidia with each driver release, 4 driver releases after nothing is fixed.
Maybe more people need to report this for nvidia to notice.

Last edited by FDisk80; 27th March 2018 at 13:50.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 14:14   #49853  |  Link
mclingo

Out of interest, why are people setting custom resolutions in NVIDA when they can be created in MADVR without any fuss, is it so you can create custom bit rates and colour space as well, I dont know much about the NVIDIA side of things though.
Old 27th March 2018, 15:29   #49854  |  Link
Axelpowa

Hi everybody!

I've been doing some tests lately with madvr and an oppo203 a friend let me few days.

Something very strange happens to me and I don't know if this is normal or not.

First of all, at the options for calibrating display in madvr, if I set a power curve gamma, the deeper I set the value in the Gamma field the more washed out it gets the image.
So far I know, the higher the gamma, darker it should get.

I use a JVC with a 2.4 gamma at the proyector settings. If I set a gamma of 2.2 in madvr it gets darker and if I set a 2.4 it washes out, if I set 2.6 it washes more.

Aslo regarding to sdr2020 conversion I detected something strange also. I like to test my settings with the last film of Harry Potter.

At arround 1h35 there is some scenes of high hdr content. Very bright images with lots of highlights.

With the oppo doing sdr2020 in this scenes there are a little magenta tones in the highlights.
In madvr this tones dont show up when doing sdr2020 and setting display calibrated to bt2020 , but if I set the display is not calibrated this tones show up exactly as the oppo does.

Also have detected this with faces and with yellow explosions or fire. At the oppo the magenta tint (very subtle) is present and in madvr sdr2020 with display calibrated to bt2020 they are missing.

Also with the color of Bumblebee in Transformers 5, it shows like a yellow lemon desaturated the tone and in oppo it shows a deeper yellow with more magenta mixed, the same as if I turn of the display calibration settings in madvr.

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 17:32   #49855  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
Hi everybody!

I've been doing some tests lately with madvr and an oppo203 a friend let me few days.

Something very strange happens to me and I don't know if this is normal or not.

First of all, at the options for calibrating display in madvr, if I set a power curve gamma, the deeper I set the value in the Gamma field the more washed out it gets the image.
So far I know, the higher the gamma, darker it should get.

I use a JVC with a 2.4 gamma at the proyector settings. If I set a gamma of 2.2 in madvr it gets darker and if I set a 2.4 it washes out, if I set 2.6 it washes more.

Aslo regarding to sdr2020 conversion I detected something strange also. I like to test my settings with the last film of Harry Potter.

At arround 1h35 there is some scenes of high hdr content. Very bright images with lots of highlights.

With the oppo doing sdr2020 in this scenes there are a little magenta tones in the highlights.
In madvr this tones dont show up when doing sdr2020 and setting display calibrated to bt2020 , but if I set the display is not calibrated this tones show up exactly as the oppo does.

Also have detected this with faces and with yellow explosions or fire. At the oppo the magenta tint (very subtle) is present and in madvr sdr2020 with display calibrated to bt2020 they are missing.

Also with the color of Bumblebee in Transformers 5, it shows like a yellow lemon desaturated the tone and in oppo it shows a deeper yellow with more magenta mixed, the same as if I turn of the display calibration settings in madvr.

Regards!
What did you set HDR under devices to? This could alter the image as HDR -> SDR conversion is possible. I'm not sure if the Oppo does this. The image should be identical with native content.

Is it possible your display is calibrated to Rec.709 in SDR mode? When calibration controls are disabled, I think it defaults to Rec.709, but this has not been made clear. No display can do Rec.2020. It would be DCI-P3 at best. As for the gamma, any mismatch would alter the brightness. If you choose the correct value, it should be fine. But again, I think disabling calibration control defaults to a gamma of 2.20, so this is not clear either.
Old 27th March 2018, 17:54   #49856  |  Link
Axelpowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
What did you set HDR under devices to? This could alter the image as HDR -> SDR conversion is possible. I'm not sure if the Oppo does this. The image should be identical with native content.

Is it possible your display is calibrated to Rec.709 in SDR mode? When calibration controls are disabled, I think it defaults to Rec.709, but this has not been made clear. No display can do Rec.2020. It would be DCI-P3 at best. As for the gamma, any mismatch would alter the brightness. If you choose the correct value, it should be fine. But again, I think disabling calibration control defaults to a gamma of 2.20, so this is not clear either.
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Im setting in madvr hdr to sdr with pixel shader.
At my jvc I have a dedicated slot with gamma 2.4, color temperature 6500 and color profile bt2020.

Its just strange the thing with the gamma power curve.

With the oppo comparing with madcr who knows, they could use different algorithms sure, but to achieve the same result I have to tell madvr as if my display was rec709 instead of bt2020.

Regards!
Old 27th March 2018, 18:33   #49857  |  Link
StinDaWg

GTX 960. Latest drivers, latest Win10.

I set up a custom 2160p23 resolution in madVR. This gives a perfect 23.97600 with 1 frame drop every 1 day+.

After I reboot my pc and play a video the framerate changes to 23.978 and composition is listed as 23.980. I am using windowed fullscreen.

If I change madVR to full screen exclusive then the framerate goes back to the correct 23.97600. This is so frustrating. It will not play the correct framerate in windowed mode no matter what I do. I prefer windowed mode.

Is this an Nvidia bug? madVR? Windows?

Has this happened to anyone else?
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 18:57   #49858  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Im setting in madvr hdr to sdr with pixel shader.
At my jvc I have a dedicated slot with gamma 2.4, color temperature 6500 and color profile bt2020.

Its just strange the thing with the gamma power curve.

With the oppo comparing with madcr who knows, they could use different algorithms sure, but to achieve the same result I have to tell madvr as if my display was rec709 instead of bt2020.

Regards!
Did you enable gamma processing? According to Asmodian's guide, the gamma setting only matters if you enable gamma processing. This should be turned off.
Old 27th March 2018, 19:21   #49859  |  Link
Axelpowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Did you enable gamma processing? According to Asmodian's guide, the gamma setting only matters if you enable gamma processing. This should be turned off.

I think not, but Im not sure right now.

So far I remember I have nothing active at the tab of color and gamma.

Regards!
Old 27th March 2018, 20:26   #49860  |  Link
SamuriHL

I've been away for a while, but, I wanted to report back for those that care that the latest Windows 10 build (which is potentially going to be RTM) and today's nVidia driver have solved my 3D playback issues that I reported a few months ago when I started messing with insider builds. I still get frame drops which is sadly normal for my setup, but, the UI is no longer broken when playing a 3D movie. Hurray...I guess

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling