Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 12th October 2004, 03:34   #81  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by RadicalEd
Found the source. Keyframe distances > 64 cause the problems mentioned above to occur in increasing magnitudes. The resolution I'm using is 352x288 at 29.97 fps. The other two encoding params are default (400000 and 30 I believe). I think the problem is generic, but if you still need a sample I can provide.

Btw, the printout for OOoggstat.exe with no params is "Usage: OOOggDump <filename>"
Actually no, no need to send me a sample yet... the information you gave should be enough for me to reproduce it.

I think i see one potential problem already... i think i didn't account for drop-frame fps's like 29.97... i think it's probably trying to round it to the nearest integer.

Thanks for the info about oooggstat... i'll change that.... (most of the OOOxxxxx tools are pretty much identical, so some of the code was copy pasted)

Cheers,

Zen.
illiminable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 03:50   #82  |  Link
RadicalEd

Bingo. 30 fps playback is flawless.
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 20:21   #83  |  Link
bond

cool seeing things going on
these filters are really cool stuff, sad that i dont have much time to do some testing myself

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 05:33   #84  |  Link
Yong

Bug report here:
Recent bulid DShow can't play the FLAC v1.1.1 encoded OggFLAC.
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 09:56   #85  |  Link
illiminable

Yeah... the new flac encapsulation spec came out after that build... i have it in the next build... however there is a problem i'm waiting to hear from Josh about.

The new version of flac doesn't conform to it's own spec, so i need to find out whether to try to detect files made by flac.exe and correct the error plus produce files from my code that confrom to the spec (but won't be able to handled by the flac tools), or whether he's going to just change the spec to be inline with the implementation (my preference).

I just want to find out before i do a release, as i don't really want to make the problem any worse by having two different imlpementations that don't work the same.

One of the header fields is incorrectly set.

Last edited by illiminable; 13th October 2004 at 10:00.
Old 13th October 2004, 11:34   #86  |  Link
Yong

Thanks for the reply, i'll continue to test this DShow filter and report if it's have bug(hope no bug in future release).
This DShow filter is Great!!
Old 13th October 2004, 20:44   #87  |  Link
bond

btw zen, you asked on the theora maillist why ffdshow only outputs to .avi. the reason is that ffdshow's encoder is a vfw encoder, which can be used in virtualdub, which outputs to .avi (of course in virtualdubmod you can also output with it to .ogm, but guess what, not in a .ogg compatible way...)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 21st October 2004, 13:35   #88  |  Link
illiminable

Another update just went up 0.66.8063

Fixed up the explorer bug, and it supports the new Ogg FLAC format... also fixed quite a few memory leaks... so it's not such a memory hog !

http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/
Old 21st October 2004, 15:32   #89  |  Link
RadicalEd

What's the status of fractional framerates in this build? :O
Old 21st October 2004, 15:47   #90  |  Link
illiminable

The fractional framerate works for mpegs... but for some reason it seems a lot of AVI's at 29.97 still come out, out of sync... even though the time stamps are properly corrected for the fractional rate.

I can't really see whats going on with that... i just wanted to get this one out, because it has teh new support for ogg flac 1.1.1 in it.

With the AVI's they seem to be out by a constant amount... rather than drifting as you'd expect if from a rounding bug.

I'm still looknig into it.
Old 21st October 2004, 20:35   #91  |  Link
RadicalEd

Interesting reports on the new version.
Foremost, FFDShow decoding now works with illiminable output, whereas with the last version it didn't at all. I'm not sure whether the change was on the ffds side or yours.
The seek bar is now enabled in WMP 6.4, but seeking in it and WMP 10 freezes the player with ffdshow or illimiable decoding. Seeking in graphedit works with illiminable decoder but freezes with ffdshow. VLC works as usual.
Old 22nd October 2004, 08:35   #92  |  Link
illiminable

Hmmm... dunno why the seek bar is enabled in WMP 6.4 it's not for me ! Must only be when ffdshow is decoding.

The change was on their side.

Are you saying that theora fails to seek at all even with my decoder in all cases ?

I'm fairly sure it will fail with ffdshow decoding as i'm guessing they are using different seek signals.
Old 22nd October 2004, 22:22   #93  |  Link
RadicalEd

Now THIS is odd...
The seek bar was enabled with illiminable decoders and freezing as I said. However, to make sure it was *only* the illiminable and default directsound/video renderer filters running, I also disabled ac3filter, and crashing stopped... however, something else also happened: seeking worked 0_0
So, somehow, seeking now works in wmp 6.4 (and all other players), with illiminable or ffdshow decoding. Cool?

On the downside, I tried encoding last night and the odd desynch problem is now present no matter the fps (30, 24, 23.976)... unless that was ac3filter too ¬_¬ ...
edit: bug confirmed not to relate to any other filters

Last edited by RadicalEd; 22nd October 2004 at 22:47.
Old 24th October 2004, 10:30   #94  |  Link
Yong

Finally i can play the OggFLAC with the DShow-based player, Thanks Zen. AFAIK there is only a few audio player can support this kind of format.

Feature request:
That will be nice if this filter set can retrive file info similar like this while playing the file:

Code:
New logical stream (#1, serial: 0000546c): type Theora
New logical stream (#2, serial: 00004348): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 2, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20030909 (1.0.1)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 95.681000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        ENCODER=ffmpeg2theora 0.10.2
Logical stream 1 ended
Vorbis stream 2:
        Total data length: 1393747 bytes
        Playback length: 2m:10.011s
        Average bitrate: 85.761507 kbps
May be you should consider combine the OOOggCommentDump.exe, OOOggStat.exe, OOOggValidate.exe and ogginfo.exe(from vorbis-tools-1.1.0-win32), make this filter set more complete.
Old 24th October 2004, 10:58   #95  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Feature request:
That will be nice if this filter set can retrive file info similar like this while playing the file:
Yeah... i'd like to, but the problem is, there's not really anywhere to show it in media player.

I really need to write a custom UI plug-in for WMP to do this kind of stuff... all the information is available internally... there's just nowhere to show it at the moment.

Those command line tools are pretty incomplete... they are mainly just examples. BUt at some point, i'll make them do something a bit more useful !
Old 25th October 2004, 12:29   #96  |  Link
Yong

Show the informations in the wmp9/10 may be too hard, how about show it in the filter propeties page(others media player)? Costum-UI? Console style already enough(that's mean display text only).

Last edited by Yong; 26th October 2004 at 12:03.
Old 10th November 2004, 12:33   #97  |  Link
Yong

New Version (0.67.8171) - 05/11/2004 dshow filter update
The author say he is busy, so i help him to update this post.
Old 2nd January 2005, 22:49   #98  |  Link
bond

zen, when doing a quick test with the theora encoder filter i noticed that the option sliders in the settings are a little bit cut visually at the bottom

also because you wrote about implementing ogg writ support: the specs seem to be up again in the wiki, also there now seems to be a reference writ encoder/decoder available here

keep up the good work with the most complete ogg tool available

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th February 2005, 02:16   #99  |  Link
bond

illi, i noticed two things lately:

1) when muxing one flac .ogg and one vorbis .ogg together with your muxer, the output .ogg is very big (oggzinfo tells me 4 EOSes, all using the flac's stream serial)

2) is it right that your decoders can only be used once in the graph? it seems as if mutliple vorbis streams arent supported (only one is played, altough the ogg parser outputs two vorbis pins)
playing a file with flac and vorbis together works fine (as every audio decoder is only used once it seems)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th May 2005, 16:53   #100  |  Link
bond

other issues:

- seeking doesnt seem to be to keyframes only, as your decoder shows typical "missing keyframe" artefacts after seeking
- your parser seems to have problems with ffdshow as theora decoder (very slow playback, picture freeze after a few seconds)
- this sample shows green artefacts at the beginning, as if the first keyframe isnt recognized/there
- when importing the vorbis decode filter in graphedit and than going to the filter properties i get a crash in dsvorbisdecoder.dll (doesnt happen when the filter is used in a full graph)
- i dont see the codec settings in the vorbis encoder filter

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 5th May 2005 at 17:11.