Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 30th March 2007, 01:27   #1  |  Link
morph166955

What tests should I run on my 8-Core X5355 Setup for everyone?

For those who saw my posts in some other threads asking questions and wondering just how fast this bad ass is going to be, I thought I would open up a thread for anyone and everyone to offer up suggestions and/or requests for benchmarks or whatever else you all come up with. Below is a post I made in the MeGUI CPU Test thread that I'm moving to here in terms of specs and stuff.

Quote:
2x Intel X5355 2.66GHZ 1333MHz FSB Quad Core Xeon's
4x Crucial 1GB DDR2 667 FB-DIMM's
Asus DSBF-D12 Motherboard
Western Digitial WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000RPM Raptor (OS Drive)
2x WD5000YS 500GB 7200RPM (Video Scratch Drives)
NEC AD-7170A DVD Burner (18x DVD SL Write, 8x DVD DL Write)
Antec 2U26ATX400XR-2 2U Case (I'm aware of the power supply problem with this being that its not the proper one, I'm looking for a power supply now...If anyone has an suggestions for a sweet 2U Power Supply thats SSI EEB 3.61 which i believe means EPS12V compatible I'm very interested to know)

Depending on when the CPU's/RAM ship (I ordered them about 20 mins ago), I should have some nice results for you guys some time late next week/early the week after depending when I get it all done (I'm going to Florida at the end of the week so thats going to be the real time determiner). Anyone want to take any guesses on what my results are going to be? My guess is ~195FPS on my first pass and ~75 on my second pass (assuming im running it in XP, I'm under the belief that my freebsd setup will run even faster then that).

So other question. Is there any reason I have to run XP over 2000? Running 2000 on this means I don't have to activate it and deal with all of that. Is there any reason for me to be running XP64 vs XP32 for this either? I know the newer version of x264 can utilize ssse3 which I believe requires XP64. While your test uses an older version, I think I'm going to run a test with both to see some speed differences.

Anything else anyone wants me to try? I'll probably start another thread once its in/built for me to run some different tests with seeing as this is probably the fastest system on here at this point thats setup to specifically do video encoding/editing.
If anyones got suggestions for things I should do software/setup wize when I do it, let me know. As of now I'm going to dual boot it, XP (probably XP64 unless I get any reasons not to use 64, also as said above possibly Win2000 if that will handle this to avoid activation problems or w/e else XP decides to throw at me) and FreeBSD 6.2 built with SMP configured into the kernel. BSD will be the primary OS/Bootloader since I like it more and I think that I can manage it easier remotely plus I can shut off a whole hell of a lot more things servicewize on BSD that I can't do on windows. Imagine how much processing power I'm going to save alone not running a GUI or ANYTHING else for that matter that requires resources PLUS having a streamlined & SMP Optimized kernel built specifically for this system (maybe even with core2/ssse3 options used by gcc 4.3...we shall see...). I have to look into freebsd's 64-bit support but im pretty sure its in there and all nice looking now at version 6.2.
morph166955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 01:46   #2  |  Link
morph166955

On a side note, I also wanted to say a big THANKS again to everyone who offered up info and insight into things in the past week or so while I've been planning this system out. You all definitely helped me out a great deal so please give yourselves a big pat on the back from me and if any of you have any benchmarks and/or tests you want me to run, I'll be sure to put you guys at the top of the list!
Old 30th March 2007, 02:51   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

insert bit of rabid jealousy here.

That said, please please don't run XP64 It's crap. Well - strike that. The OS is fine, but the existing 64 bit video encoding software isn't really up to snuff, at least not the last time I tried it. x264.exe is very good, but AviSynth etc are not all there. Resizers are still painfully slow IIRC, and most of the plugins aren't ported. Squid_80 is doing a great job, but I think he's all by himself, and thats a big job.

XP32 should be faster overall, if you plan on using AviSynth in any way.

If you're running mencoder / ffmpeg and x264 directly, then 64 bit SMP BSD should be terrifyingly fast. RAID up those hard drives

As far as tests, the MeGUI tests that have been floating around are very standardized at this point. Still, that means AviSynth, so if you want to see what your system is capable of, let's just see a pure x264 encode, maybe some 1080p sources if you can..

~MiSfit
Old 30th March 2007, 03:16   #4  |  Link
morph166955

I had to sell TWO of my servers to get this thing and im just breaking even. One of which had a 2.0TB drive plus 4GB Ram and an assortment of other things. I realized that with the current cost of dvd storage having 2.0TB of space to store my media is worthless. and as for raid, ive actually found that my raid array is very slightly slower then a single drive when doing video encodes. I am however contimplating running everything on ramdisc's if I can for this encode to see if that will speed it up being that its the new FB stuff and all that jazz.

I'm not an avisynth man...nothing wrong with it I just never got into it. I've been using freebsd to do all my encoding and trying to run avisynth under wine is a headache I've thus far avoided. I'll be running x264 that im custom compiling with gcc 4.3 using core2/ssse3 optimization plus the ssse3 optimizations that x264 now has. I have a working mingw/msys that has 4.3 running and can successfully compile x264 with core2/ssse3 so I'm hoping that will be blistering fast. I'll use gcc 4.3 in bsd also to make some very fast versions of everything as well (saddly mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg refuses to work with gcc4.3 & core2 but i can at least use prescott/ssse3 for that part of it.

As for content...lets just say I have some VERY high quality 720p and 1080p source to use...thats first up on my list after i do some benchmarks and run that megui benchmark in this forum since some of those guys helped me out on designing this bad boy.

I'm trying to figure out which version of freebsd 6.2 to use. the options are i386 & ia-64. problem is i believe ia-64 is for itanium/itanium2 and not for what im running. in fact i dont believe that ia-64 will even work with my setup. I'll figure it out at some point once im home this weekend before the cpu's all come in. Its going to probably take a week or more to get this thing running at peak and to get everything all compiled where its close to how fast it can be, and then a good 2-3 months to get it perfect. The whole system is going to be in a constant state of flux...and then once i get it exactly how i want it, back it all up, format it to get any misc stuff leftover from the testing process that could be causing a slight slowdown, and loading it all 100% perfectly knowing its best setup.

My big problem tonight is power supply...i gotta buy a 2U EPS12V power supply tonight so that it ships out for this thing to use asap. It also has to be a front mount supply that has the cord running to the back like the one thats in there now. I'd really enjoy a modular powersupply where i can add the wires i want (my buddy got this guy a few months ago and said it was sweet http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect2-uvblue.html ...i want something similar in idea, althoguh i can deal with less blue lights). recommendations are welcome and encouraged!
Old 30th March 2007, 03:31   #5  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Good thoughts. Getting that power supply is crucial!

Also, ia-64 is Itanium only IIRC. The instruction set for hybrid x86/x64 chips is x86_64, which all new AMD and Intel chips support.

~MiSfit.
Old 30th March 2007, 03:43   #6  |  Link
morph166955

yes im aware of the x86_64...its a matter of I cant find anything on it (havent really looked that hard so it very well could be there). the only images i could find is under their i386 title.
Old 30th March 2007, 03:56   #7  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html

the name is misleading.. I guess people are referring to anything that does x86_64 as AMD64 now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
Old 30th March 2007, 05:08   #8  |  Link
morph166955

powersupply is now ordered...i took the easy route out since i needed the front mount and ordered a spare eps supply direct from antec that they use in their 3U case (i checked the dimensions and screw configs, as far as i can tell they use the same size for both...go figure.)

As for that amd64 thing...thats plane stupid on their part. anyone who doesnt specifically look would think its an amd only thing. im downloading the iso's now and im going to load it on my laptop (it has a core2 so it should work the same). thanks though for the info though! much appreciated.
Old 30th March 2007, 16:58   #9  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
For a laugh, what about DivX SD encoding? Since that's multithreaded, though I can't remember how many cores it supports, it'll be interesting to see just how fast that'll go! x264, SD resolution would be interesting, to see if you could get that at least real-time.
Old 31st March 2007, 02:59   #10  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Wait, does XP even support 8 cores? I'm pretty sure Windows 2000 doesn't, unless maybe the server version.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 04:04   #11  |  Link
morph166955

very good question! i know it can do 4 cores since we've seen it already...i guess we will find out!

wanna talk about aggravating delays...the motherboard, case and drives are in...the cpu and ram arent due till tuesday...and im still waiting for the power supply to ship! this thing is going to be sitting in the corner staring at me for like a week until i can even turn it on! lol im going to go crazy
Old 31st March 2007, 06:05   #12  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post
Wait, does XP even support 8 cores? I'm pretty sure Windows 2000 doesn't, unless maybe the server version.
Sure does, as long as it's 2 sockets. (Unless you hacked in the server kernel, but you might as well use server in that case.) I've seen benchmarks of 2 dual-core 5010 Xeons with hyperthreading on XP, but might have been XP64. The task manager graphs were very, very thin.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 06:46   #13  |  Link
morph166955

lol if they were thin with 4...im going to love 8! Im sitting looking at all the parts now...it never occured to me how HUGE an extended atx board is (12x13!!!). like that sounds like its big but until you see it and just like admire its size you just dont get it.
Old 1st April 2007, 15:52   #14  |  Link
Bigmango

As you seem to prefer custom compiling everything to match your hardware for performance, why don't you install Gentoo Linux ?

This is the best OS for custom compiled systems as it has all the tools, especially portage like BSD, but more software available.

Just set your cflags for your core 2 and let the rig install the whole system by itself, built with ggc 4.3 from the ground up. All the tools you will ever need like x264, etc... are in portage so once your system wide cflags are set everything is 1 emerge away...

Anyway, this is of course personal preference, BSD is nice, but with Gentoo you get the same, if not more flexibility and on top of that you get much more software...

Best wishes, looking forward to seeing your benchmarks
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 18:20   #15  |  Link
morph166955

While I agree using ports/portage is easier, it generally misses things and/or adds things I dont want/need and/or doesnt use the specific version of the software that I may want to use (say x264 gets a new revision that does something I want (which is usually always)...the ports/portage version may not get updated for a few days and that can be annoying). I've been using freebsd now as my *nix os for give or take 8-9 years so I'm very familiar with it. I've written some scripts to auto cvs/svn specific software I use to install the system for me (stuff like bash, gcc, etc). As for the rest, well I actually enjoy hands on installing and configuring of the software myself. Thanks for your input though as that was definitely a good point.
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:05   #16  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Originally Posted by morph166955 View Post
While I agree using ports/portage is easier, it generally misses things and/or adds things I dont want/need and/or doesnt use the specific version of the software that I may want to use (say x264 gets a new revision that does something I want (which is usually always)...the ports/portage version may not get updated for a few days and that can be annoying). I've been using freebsd now as my *nix os for give or take 8-9 years so I'm very familiar with it. I've written some scripts to auto cvs/svn specific software I use to install the system for me (stuff like bash, gcc, etc). As for the rest, well I actually enjoy hands on installing and configuring of the software myself. Thanks for your input though as that was definitely a good point.
Yes BSD is a great OS.

Regarding new versions not in portage (you have been at home with bsd for almost 10 years so I'm not trying to convert you, just handing over some more information): you can setup a personal local portage tree with your ebuilds. In your example, it would take 10 seconds to edit the x264.ebuild and change the version number (it's a variable that goes up to the file name/remote server dir name, etc..., so you just change it in 1 place); then "emerge x264.ebuild" will fetch the file from the x264.nl server, build and install the new version

As for cvs/svn : you can make the ebuilds fetch the source from cvs/svn. So everytime you "emerge myebuild-cvs.ebuild" it will fetch the latest cvs source and install it. This is also the better way for keping track of installed things and makes uninstalling things easier.

The bottom line is that Gentoo is an OS that was made from the ground up to be built from source, so it has the best tools in the industry to do and automate source installs.

Well, portage was made after ports so both systems have a lot in common.
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:25   #17  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post
XP 64 does I think, it is a striped down Server 2k3 after all

though if you want a million cores theres always Solaris
supports up to 72 twin threaded CPUs
if you have about 4.5M USD for the 25k server
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 21:08   #18  |  Link
HookedOnTV

The MeGUI test in this forum would be great to see.
HookedOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:03   #19  |  Link
morph166955

the MeGUI test is among the first to be run.

and for those wondering when this all arrives...i just got the final shipping confirmation...all the remaining parts will be in tomorrow! hopefully I can get it all built and partially installed tomorrow night, possibly leave it running installing overnight and then maybe do some runs on wednesday/thursday if its all done by then. otherwise you will all have to wait till im home on sunday from a family wedding for me to start having this thing do some "forced hard labor"
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:16   #20  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
"Forced"? We said nothing about forced.