Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 10th July 2004, 19:50   #41  |  Link
BoNz1

illuminable, any chance you could release a directshow encoder build using the experimental theora encoder? http://svn.xiph.org/experimental/derf/theora-exp/ there were some people who were quite excited about it and I sort of want to see what it can do .
BoNz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 20:15   #42  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
illuminable, any chance you could release a directshow encoder build using the experimental theora encoder?
I'm getting stuck into a few other things at the moment... but i'll have a look at it soon, i'm not really sure if that's ready though !

So long as it uses the same public api, it shouldn't be too much trouble... to be honest, i haven't even looked at the code.

BTW illiminable as in subliminal rather than illuminable as in illuminate !

Cheers,

Zen.
illiminable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 20:21   #43  |  Link
savage747

Quote:
Originally posted by BoNz1
there were some people who were quite excited about it and I sort of want to see what it can do .
The encoder is broken. Although it produces valid files, quality is really horrible. The exciting thing about this codebase is that itīs a build from scratch starting point for future quality enhancements.
savage747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 22:42   #44  |  Link
BoNz1

Quote:
Originally posted by savage747
The encoder is broken. Although it produces valid files, quality is really horrible. The exciting thing about this codebase is that itīs a build from scratch starting point for future quality enhancements.
Dunno about that because honestly I haven't tried it. But this is what was said when it first was checked into the xiph subversion. That was a couple months ago already. There have been some changes to the code since.
BoNz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 22:46   #45  |  Link
savage747

Quote:
Originally posted by BoNz1
Dunno about that because honestly I haven't tried it. But this is what was said when it first was checked into the xiph subversion. That was a couple months ago already. There have been some changes to the code since.
I have tried

Those changes were fixes for the decoder (the first decoder for Theora supporting the whole spec - the libtheora alpha3 decoder is not complete and therefore wonīt be able to play all future Theora-streams).
savage747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2004, 18:10   #46  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by illiminable
Yeah... libtheora can only sucessfully encode 4:2:0 YUV (YV12), there is some support for 4:2:2 (YUY2) and 4:4:4, but encoding using these formats at the moment is not very successful.

So what the filter does is downsample any YUY2 to YV12, but i haven't written any way to translate any other formats.
Because one of the options exposed on the ffdshow pin in YV12, and it still won't connect, I would consider it a bug. As long as there is at least one compatible type between the two connections, it should work. But in this case, it fails.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2004, 18:34   #47  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Because one of the options exposed on the ffdshow pin in YV12, and it still won't connect, I would consider it a bug. As long as there is at least one compatible type between the two connections, it should work. But in this case, it fails.
Ok... i didn't understand you properly... can you give me some more details about the input format/file to ffdshow ? And a copy of the text on the ffdshow input and output pin property page, with all the video information, size etc.

I haven't seen this happen before with ffdshow, the only time i have seen it happen is with a dvd, trying to put the theora encoder where the overlay mixing filter should be, and the dvd filter output pin is querying for an interface during the connection process and even though the video types are the same it still rejects the connection because it doesn't offer the interface it wants.

I suspect this is what is happening.

EDIT: Oh and if anyone is trying to get to my site right now, the servers are in the process of moving data centres so it's down at the moment Was only supposed to be down for 4-6 hours, but it's been over 12 now... so hopefully not too much longer !
Old 11th July 2004, 18:52   #48  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

From the ffdshow raw video filter output pin:
Code:
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  YV12 - Format:  YV12 320x240, 12 bits,
Aspect Ratio: 320x240,
Interlace format: Frames
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  YUY2 - Format:  YUY2 320x240, 16 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  YVYU - Format:  YVYU 320x240, 16 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  UYVY - Format:  UYVY 320x240, 16 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  RGB32 - Format:   RGB 320x240, 32 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  RGB24 - Format:   RGB 320x240, 24 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  RGB555 - Format:   RGB 320x240, 16 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Major Type:  Video - Sub Type:  RGB565 - Format:   RGB 320x240, 16 bits,
rcSrc=(0,0,320,240)
rcDst=(0,0,320,240)
Here is an image of the graph.
Old 11th July 2004, 19:01   #49  |  Link
illiminable

Thanks,

I actually haven't seen that filter before ! So i haven't tested with it... where did that come from ?

There's so many different builds scattered about in various places... but none of those i've seen had anything other than the decoder filter in them !

Which is the official download site now ? The stuff on source forge is like years old now !
Old 11th July 2004, 20:15   #50  |  Link
Bogalvator

ffdshow builds by athos:
http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/

Builds by Andy2222:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ieggei2/ffdshow/

Thread where I found the links:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=48511
(good luck!)

By the way, your website is down at the mo'
Bogalvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2004, 20:39   #51  |  Link
illiminable

Thanks very much for the links...

Quote:
By the way, your website is down at the mo'
Yeah, i know... the server is moving home... it was only supposed to be down for about 4-6 hours... but it's been about 15 now I guess these things happen

Hopefully the truck didn't crash I'm hoping it comes back in the next few hours.
Old 15th August 2004, 18:51   #52  |  Link
illiminable

Another update (0.61.7571) has been uploaded with the following changes...

* Fixed seeking crash problems with theora
* Fixed FLAC playback
* Added a FLAC encoder filter
* Added a very simple .NET media player called DNPlay
* Added a .NET directshow playback library

This is now the full range of codecs with encoders and decoders.

You can download here http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/ I've also put the zipped version of the source (contains C, C++, C++.NET and C#.NET parts) on there too. You need VS2003.NET to build them.

Or it's in xiph svn at http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/oggdsf/ (browsable via the web)

Unless you have a great need, you should download the zip file (7MB) rather than checking out from svn (25MB)... there's no gaurantees the head branch of the svn tree is in working order at any particular time, and it will save your bandwidth to get the zip !
Old 18th August 2004, 22:16   #53  |  Link
bond

cool stuff, keep up the good work

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 22:36   #54  |  Link
illiminable

And another update...

A new version (0.62.7673) is now online at www.illiminable.com/ogg also at www.illiminable.com/ogg/sse_builds.html you'll find two different experimental builds, one using SSE and one using SSE2 for all 37 libraries and applications in the distribution. Use these only if you are sure your processor supports the appropriate extended instruction set. More information is on the page.

I also fixed the network streaming that i broke in the last release... it now caches the stream in your TEMP directory as specified in your environment variables. Works a lot better now... though it's still not perfect, and still doesn't pre-buffer to account for user having bandwidth
less than the stream bitrate.

I also removed all the .NET sample applications for those who don't ever run windows update and still don't have the framework.. because of the way the nstaller works it wouldn't let you install until you downloaded it. Later
on, i'll package them as a seperate distribution... they are not really anything more than examples so i doubt anyone actually used them anyway.

And changed the installer to make you click through the BSD licenses, and include an informational dialog so users know where to go for new versions... as many download shell sites are linking directly to the files without any link to the website where people can see known bugs and install
instructions or even know if they are getting the latest version.

Enjoy...

Zen.
Old 2nd September 2004, 02:01   #55  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Good news! I've been watching your commits and was wondering when a new version was coming.

Any update on if/when these filters will work with the Matroska filters?
Old 4th September 2004, 11:08   #56  |  Link
illiminable

I'm still working on a few compatability issues... it's still not working to 100%... i'm finding a few problems with a version of Tobias's filters still being partially installed and conflicting, particularly in mpc.

But once i can narrow down and correct these things, i'll be able to spend some testing with the matroska stuff... i haven't looked closely at the matroska filter, but i suspect at the moment i'm using a different timing scheme.
Old 13th September 2004, 15:33   #57  |  Link
illiminable

And another update... 0.63.7755

http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

You can play theora in WMP9 and 10 now (but can't seek in these two players)... also fixed some bugs that were stopping people creating theora+speex files... which now work.

Cheers,

Zen.
Old 17th September 2004, 09:59   #58  |  Link
tiki4

Hi,

this latest version is the first one that doesn't crash for me every player when playing Ogg Theora + Vorbis. So far, so good. I tried to mux video and audio from a Theora Ogg and a Vorbis Ogg file, but as with previous versions Graphedit closes after a few seconds and leaves an incomplete file. The file that I was able to play was created with ffmpeg2theora from an uncompressed source AVI.

Thumbs up for this project, though.

tiki4

Last edited by tiki4; 17th September 2004 at 11:43.
tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 11:29   #59  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by tiki4
Hi,

this latest version is the first one that doesn't crash for me every player when player Ogg Theora + Vorbis. So far, so good. I tried to mux video and audio from a Theora Ogg and a Vorbis Ogg file, but as with previous versions Graphedit closes after a few seconds and leaves an incomplete file. The file that I was able to play was created with ffmpeg2theora from an uncompressed source AVI.

Thumbs up for this project, though.

tiki4
I suspect the reason that previous versions wouldn't play for you is that the video was high-res... there was a bug where the buffers were too small, and it would just bomb, if it got a large frame.

When you say tried to mux a theora ogg and vorbis ogg file... can you be more specific ?

Was the graph like this...

Ogg Demux --> }
} Ogg Mux
Ogg Demux --> }

???

Or were you transocding or encoding for a raw source ? If so what was the graph setup ?

Cheers,

Zen.
Old 17th September 2004, 11:45   #60  |  Link
tiki4

Muxing was somthing like:

Code:
Ogg Demux--|
           |->Ogg Mux
Ogg Demux--|
The first Ogg file contained Theora video encoded with your filter suite in Graphedit from an AVS source. The second was an audio only Ogg Vorbis file produced from AC3 with BeSweet.

Cheers,

tiki4
tiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote