Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 23rd February 2010, 00:23   #1  |  Link
crl2007

Guide for Blu-Ray Menu Editing

I. MOST JAVA MENUS

If you want to modify a menu, you should look in the JAR folder and edit the corresponding files there. Some of them are having png files, some a *.txt file, some of them are having all the files inside a *.jar file. You can open a *.jar file with 7-Zip and add the modified picture with 7-Zip too. Some of them are having *.xml files to modify.

Some menus are more tricky than the others. Here I will explain particular cases and solutions for them, that if I find one.

II. STRIPS OF FONTS

There are some java menus that are using strips of fonts instead of whole words. These are very tricky to edit and they are time consuming. I struggled for a month to find a solution for the menu I will present you here. You'll recognize these ones because they have *.hcf files in the JAR\00000 ( could be 00001, 2, 3 and so on ) folder. To edit these you must follow these steps carefully:

a) Backup your Blu-ray disc to hdd using AnyDVD HD.

b) Copy the contents of the BDMV\BACKUP folder to BDMV folder. Now you'll have the original structure.

c) Open 00000.jar ( could as well be 00001, 2, 3 and so on ) with 7-Zip and look for FS.QCO or langMap_res.qct ( only one of these files are containing the menu words ) and extract them wherever you want. Sometimes, the subtitle streams are in different files, like h.class or tblSU_T3_Sub_res.qct. Open them in a hex editor and find which one has the menu words declared.

d) Change the word you want in hex ( but be careful not to delete / add strings, you'll have to accommodate in the existing ones ) and save.

e) Open the 00000.jar again with 7-Zip and replace the file in there with the edited one.

f) Open ImgBurn and make an ISO from BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. It is described how to do it at step 12 from the guide above.

g) Insert the ISO in DAEMON TOOLS and decrypt it again with AnyDVD HD. ( versions previous to 6.8.0.0 because 6.8.0.0 doesn't fix java in unprotected discs anymore )

h) If you're lucky and edited well in hex, you'll have a fully working menu.

Thx goes to deank for his excellent idea.

III. IGS MENUS

Software needed:

1. BDEdit - free. Always check back for latest version.
2. Photoshop CS, CS2 or CS3 ( works best with Scenarist Designer PS ) - not free.
3. Scenarist Designer PS - not free

Let's get started. Read carefully and don't skip any steps.

1. Open your BDMV folder in BDEdit.

2. Go to CLIPINF Tab and look for your menu *.clpi file. Once you found it, press Menu.

3. In the MENU Tab, select the Objects Tab and identify the button or buttons you want to edit.

4. Save them on your hard-disk.

5. Save the buttons color palette.

6. Open all buttons in Photoshop and edit them with the language you want. Save them with the same name BDEdit saved them for you, but like this:

Edit and save all your button states like this. You will have 4 folders containing the final *.png files. Before saving in Photoshop, don't forget to merge all layers.

7. Go back to BDEdit, and in Objects TAB, replace the four button states from there with the ones you just edited. To replace an object, do the following:

8. After you have replaced all the button's states, press MUX, replace the original menu *.m2ts file and that's it.

9. Enjoy !

IV. JAVA MENUS THAT SHARE THE SAME *.PNG COORDINATES

These are menus that share the same *.png coordinates in both Audio and Subtitles menu. To edit these menus, we have to make our own separate *.png file and then load our coordinates in the menu code. Once you get the hang of it, these will seem pretty easy to edit. I will complete the guide one of these days, when I'll have some more time. This kind of menus have in the jar folder some *.txt, *.prop or *.prp files ( images.txt, menu_base.prop, menus.prp, regions.prp ).

1. We go to \BDMV\JAR\XXXXX and look for menu_base.prop or menus.prp and identify the language we want to replace, so we can know what coordinates to add in images.txt or in regions.prp.

As you can see, in the case of menus that have *.prp files, you have to look in 2 places, not only in one. Main menu and pop-up menu images are in two separate places in the file. We will replace the romanian subtitle text with test_subtitle_doom9.

2. We now open images.txt or regions.prp and press CTRL+F and look for the button coordinates from point 1.

In the regions.prp file case, we will add 2 new rows, regions 202 and 203 and we will edit the final line Regions=203. In the images.txt file case, we will copy the three rows and rename them as we want, as long as we use the same name style used in the original file. After doing that, we will have to create our new png file with the language we want to add, keeping the original menu fonts and for the *.prp files BD, we will have to add our language directly in the main composite png ( if you don't know which one it is, just read the second row from regions.prp ).

3. After adding our lines, we now have to calculate the coordinates. We do that with photoshop.

2 minus 4 must be equal with 2 minus 4 from the original language button. 2 minus 4 is the height.

4. We replace the coordinates from our files and we save them. Use Notepad2 for every Blu-Ray operation. Notepad from windows creates some discrepancies.

5. We now have to edit our menus.prp or menu_base.prop files, replacing the original button with our own.

As for the other operations, please use Notepad2. Just save. If you've done all ok, you will have a button similar and in the same position as the original one. If you didn't, then you will have to adjust some overlay options in menu_base.prop or menus.prp files, but this is not recommended, because it's something kinda forced. The new png file must be copied in the same folder where are all the others.

If you have questions or you don't understand something, post here. For feedback post here too.

Last edited by crl2007; 27th September 2011 at 09:20.
crl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 13:10   #2  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl2007 View Post
All the tests I've done point in the same direction. IGS menus can't be edited, only java ones.
How do you mean that?
Why the IGS menus can't be edited?
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 16:17   #3  |  Link
crl2007

Because there is no muxer for IGS elements. If you succeed with BDEdit, then I'll modify the guide accordingly. I hope you'll succeed.

Last edited by crl2007; 1st December 2010 at 10:20.
Old 25th February 2010, 03:46   #4  |  Link
rik1138

Well, you can 'decompile' the entire disc and modify it that way, but it requires commercial software, and might be more of a pain than it's worth depending on what you want to do... I did that to fix some major problems on a retail disc (audio/subtitle streams, screwed up menu navigation, etc...). It was worth it to me because I like the movie and wanted a proper disc, but it did take some time (and knowledge of HDMV authoring...)
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 08:25   #5  |  Link
crl2007

Yeah, and that commercial software is way to expensive just for home use. I have knowledge of authoring, but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend for backing up my Blu-Ray collection. Maybe Pelican9 will succeed to insert this function in BDEdit. He already works on this.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:04   #6  |  Link
crl2007

I've added a method to edit IGS menus.

Pelican9 for his work in creating a muxer for IGS elements.
Old 15th April 2010, 07:35   #7  |  Link
chompy

Thanks for your guides crl2007!!

One question, if I just want to remove a button in a IGS menu, what should be the best way? creating a blank button and replace the original with it? Then, what should I do to skip it during navigation?
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 08:51   #8  |  Link
crl2007

You just delete its navigation commands.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:54   #9  |  Link
chompy

And then, the buttons around it will skip it during navigation? ie, supose you have nine buttons in the following setup:

(1) - (2) - (3)

(4) - (5) - (6)

(7) - (8) - (9)

If I "delete" button 5, pressing right when I'm on button 4, will I get button 6 or will it still go to the deleted button 5? And the same vertically... been on button 2 and pressing down, will I go to button 8?
Old 15th April 2010, 15:26   #10  |  Link
crl2007

It will jump it if it has no commands.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:12   #11  |  Link
chompy

Ok, thanks!
Old 29th August 2010, 14:48   #12  |  Link
alluringreality

Can BDedit look at sub-menus? On my Encore projects it appears that each menu gets its own entries, but in this AVCHD from TotalMedia Extreme all the menu entries appear to be combined. If I play 00044.m2ts from the download I see all the menus, and I also see multiple PlayItems in 01200.mpls, but I only seem to be looking at the main menu from the Menu tab in BDedit. I tried changing IN_time to the values shown in the Playlist, but that didn't work. Is this maybe something that's specific to AVCHD menus?
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 18:59   #13  |  Link
crl2007

BDEdit can handle only out-of-mux igs menus. AVCHD, afaik uses in-mux igs menus.
Old 29th August 2010, 22:36   #14  |  Link
alluringreality

Thanks for the reply. Maybe that helps explain the behavior I've seen using AVCHD-Patcher or the multiAVCHD reauthoring. After an Encore HDMV is modified to look like AVCHD, PowerDVD ends up having black menus. The menus actually work in PowerDVD, but the video background from STREAMS is gone. It seems that Encore authors Mpeg2 menus, even if the Blu-ray project is set for AVC. I tried transcoding the Mpeg2 menu to AVC and that got the menu to show up again in PowerDVD, but I lost the controls with the transcoding. I guess Encore must store the IGS with the Mpeg2 video, and PowerDVD doesn't seem to like the Mpeg2 video on an AVCHD disc.

Edit: The above comments were about Encore CS4. It appears that Encore CS5 has went through some authoring changes and I was able to transcode the menus to AVC so that the multiAVCHD re-authored version would play.

Last edited by alluringreality; 30th August 2010 at 20:10.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 15:20   #15  |  Link
Diablo69_HUN

Hello crl2007,

Thanks for help last time. Now I have an other tricky menu, and you'd help me again, bacause I can't find anything usefull in JAR folder. I uploaded the compressed folder (5 MB) to here:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=l9kqxwh3lsd

Thanks for help, or any good idea!

Diablo69
Diablo69_HUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 17:15   #16  |  Link
crl2007

Hi,

In this cases you'll have to check the *.class files with a hex editor. In your archive, the subtitles streams are declared in h.class.
Old 8th September 2010, 18:50   #17  |  Link
Diablo69_HUN

Hi,

Nice, thank you very much crl!
Old 8th September 2010, 20:36   #18  |  Link
Diablo69_HUN

Maybe I do something wrong, but when I change the name of the stream (for example: Spanish => Magyarr), the disc doesn't work. When I write back the original, it's okay. What could be the problem?
Old 8th September 2010, 22:03   #19  |  Link
crl2007

You must follow the steps from point II.
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:56   #20  |  Link
007felix

Hi I have the same problem of Diablo69_HUN. Here's the JAR file (5mb): http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=lc2d85362lc

As I can know what the file. Class to modify the menu (I want to change the entire menu from Polish into English or Spanish if possible).

Thanks for your help! Sorry my english
007felix is offline   Reply With Quote