Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Yesterday, 13:21   #53921  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
- recent versions of madVR do not output higher than 8 bit per color when using nvidia drivers
What was the exact condition for this and which madvr version introduced it? Thanks for mentioning
I don't remember it, I tried to look through the changelog but I couldn't find it.
I currently use fullscreen windowed mode on Win10 (nvidia).
Old Yesterday, 20:33   #53922  |  Link
KoD

huhn, chros: it does not work with FSE or windowed mode since some version of madVR. The OSD says "D3D11 exclusive (8bit)" or "D3D11 windowed (8 bit)". So, even if you have (10 bit, RGB, full) on the display line, madVR is only outputting 8 bit, and then the driver resamples this up to 10 or 12 bit and sends it to your TV or monitor.

I remember the reason madshi gave back then was that the nvidia driver was introducing banding when outputting more than 8 bits. He then deliberately disabled 10 bit ouput in madVR on nvidia cards.

I don't know if when using the proprietary NV HDR API it's also 8 bit content that madVR is outputting. If it is, then it can't be good since 8 bit is not enough to cover the larger colorspace used for HDR.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:52   #53923  |  Link
edigee

Quote:

I remember the reason madshi gave back then was that the nvidia driver was introducing banding when outputting more than 8 bits. He then deliberately disabled 10 bit ouput in madVR on nvidia cards.
So ,what is the last version with 10 bit output?
edigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:12   #53924  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
huhn, chros: it does not work with FSE or windowed mode since some version of madVR. The OSD says "D3D11 exclusive (8bit)" or "D3D11 windowed (8 bit)". So, even if you have (10 bit, RGB, full) on the display line, madVR is only outputting 8 bit, and then the driver resamples this up to 10 or 12 bit and sends it to your TV or monitor.

I don't know if when using the proprietary NV HDR API it's also 8 bit content that madVR is outputting. If it is, then it can't be good since 8 bit is not enough to cover the larger colorspace used for HDR.
8-bit works just fine for HDR. It gets sent with dithering and the display doesn't know any different. Those with LG OLEDs seem to be getting better results with 8-bit output than 12-bit output.

The most recent build should output 10-bits in windowed mode with Windows 10.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:20   #53925  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
8 bit really is fine for HDR, in fact try setting madVR to 7 bit to see what effect lowering madVR's output bitdepth has. The difference between 8 bit and 10 bit is 1/2 the magnitude of 7 to 8 bit. 7-bit does not cause banding, it is just a bit more noisey but even that is pretty subtle, especially with ordered dithering. The tiny bit of extra dithering noise might even hide banding in the source.

Test with your eyes, don't simply assume 10 bit is always better than 8 bit. It is definitely worse on my system (LG C7 OLED).

At the same time; for an HDR source we do need at least 10 bit, this is because lossy compression does not preserve dithering.

Last edited by Asmodian; Today at 03:59.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:33   #53926  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Thanks, I forgot it, since I wasn't affected with my old optimus laptop.

Quote:
it does not work with FSE or windowed mode since some version of madVR. The OSD says "D3D11 exclusive (8bit)" or "D3D11 windowed (8 bit)".
OK, so the OSD provides this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The most recent build should output 10-bits in windowed mode with Windows 10.
That's correct, and it's working indeed but only when the player window (mpc-hc/be) is fullscreen (doesn't have to be exclusive mode):
- the OSD says "D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10 bit)"
- "10 bit (or higher)" is set in madvr under Devices > device > properties > native display bitdepth
- 12 bit is set for the TV in nvidia control panel; there's no such setting for my 1080p monitor using dvi cable (it also works on my monitor)
- currently using madvr-measure28 (from avsforum)
- 1080p displays! (see my signature for the rest)
- checked with 1080p and 2160p hdr content as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What was the exact condition for this?
I asked this, because there are tons of condition that can modify this behaivour as well.
Do you have a 4k display? If so, maybe nvidia driver is tricking you (there's not enough bandwidth for 4k 60Hz 12bit). If that's the case then @Manni provided couple of simple steps how to trick the driver.

Last edited by chros; Today at 11:37.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:59   #53927  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
That's correct, and it's working indeed but only when the player window (mpc-hc/be) is fullscreen (doesn't have to be exclusive mode):
- the OSD says "D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10 bit)"
- "10 bit (or higher)" is set in madvr under Devices > device > properties > native display bitdepth
- 12 bit is set for the TV in nvidia control panel; there's no such setting for my 1080p monitor using dvi cable (it also works on my monitor)
- currently using madvr-measure28 (from avsforum)
- 1080p displays! (see my signature for the rest)
- checked with 1080p and 2160p hdr content as well
Sounds normal to me.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling