Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2009, 18:31   #8601  |  Link
honai

No post in this thread from madshi for a while. Does this mean he sold the rights for eac3to to SlySoft for their new HD transcoding app?

Old 25th March 2009, 19:29   #8602  |  Link
rik1138

@Madshi
I've discovered (well, I've been told about, technically) an issue with eac3to recognizing original, unused DTS-HD files. By unused, I mean the files created by the DTS-HD Master Audio Suite (the software that the studios use to actually create the DTS-HD MA audio). The DTS software creates files with an extra 140 bytes of header information at the beginning of the files. This information is stripped off when the DTS is used on a final disc, so if you rip DTS off a Blu-Ray disc, this data is not there. Thus, eac3to doesn't recognize a DTS file with this information... The header isn't vague, the first 8 characters are DTSHDHDR. It would be great if the software could be updated to recognize DTS files with this header information still attached.

I encoded a 7.1 test stream for someone else on the forum, and a member discovered the problem when trying to use eac3to on the file. The files are here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mz71xx

There's a DTS-HD High Resolution stream (I don't see this used very often, basically DTS that can go up to a 3mb bitrate), and a DTS-HD Master Audio stream included.

Thanks, Rik
Old 25th March 2009, 19:34   #8603  |  Link
3ngel

Hi,

just one question.

How i tell eac3to to use the maximum compression for a .flac destination encoding?

If it is not possible can a swith be added to do the thing?

Thank you very much
Old 25th March 2009, 19:51   #8604  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ngel View Post
How i tell eac3to to use the maximum compression for a .flac destination encoding?
It already does.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:30   #8605  |  Link
3ngel

No, because i've recompressed the flac from eac3to, with SoundOut avisynth plugin and the result is 500meg smaller, so i think the default is to use "medium" compression.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:38   #8606  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quick question about eac3to and audio delay in Matroska files: The other day I ripped a DVD and then muxed it directly to Matroska without re-encoding, planning to encode it later. I checked the audio delay with DGIndex before muxing and applied the proper delay at mux. eac3to, when run without any options against the Matroska file, reports the audio delay as -301 ms. This sounds like too much of a delay, but off hand I can't remember what the audio delay reported by DGIndex was. Does anyone know how accurate eac3to's parsing of matroska delay values is?

Eduit: Mkvinfo -v shows that the audio starts 16ms after the video, which jogs my memory and I think was the delay I applied at muxing. What's going on here?

Last edited by Inspector.Gadget; 25th March 2009 at 20:49.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:48   #8607  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
No, because i've recompressed the flac from eac3to, with SoundOut avisynth plugin and the result is 500meg smaller, so i think the default is to use "medium" compression.
perhaps the source was a 24-bit file and that plugin only compressed it to 16-bit?
Old 25th March 2009, 20:49   #8608  |  Link
3ngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
perhaps the source was a 24-bit file and that plugin only compressed it to 16-bit?
No, checked. 24bit in, 24 bit out.
81% from eac3to, 68% from SoundOut.
Old 25th March 2009, 23:48   #8609  |  Link
StephenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlord View Post
How do I disable the 2nd pass? I have a file with discontinuities. Eac3to doesn't care and finishes processing. The result has minor picture and audio dropouts I can easily live with. However, eac3to erroneously sees an audio delay and starts a second pass. Afterwards the audio is no longer in sync from the first discon on. I am pretty sure this would not happen without the second pass. But that is automatically executed and I don't know how to prevent that.
Unfortunately the newest version without automatic 2nd pass (2.80) stops at the discons (even with -ignorediscon switch).
I would also like a switch that suppressed the second pass.
Old 26th March 2009, 00:08   #8610  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=7316
Old 26th March 2009, 01:26   #8611  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
Got an issue with Terminator, the SaraConnor Chronicles. eac3to failed to detect an entire episode. There are three on there and eac3to only found 2. I managed to demux the m2ts file for the episode, but it lacked a chapter file.

PLAYLIST and CLIPINF folder can be found here.

Thanks madshi for all your work.
Disk 2 is even worse. It doesn't list any independent episodes.

CLIPINF and PLAYLIST files for disk 2 here
Old 26th March 2009, 07:49   #8612  |  Link
3ngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
The sense of that post is the opposite. Madshi doesn't want to add "less" compression, 'cause "speed is good enough".

In this sense i think Madshi didn't use a "Ultra" level to do a speed/compression balancing.

But in my case (and i think in other cases too at this point), 500 megs smaller are more than a weight difference.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:44   #8613  |  Link
dev84

Hi, simple question:

Quote:
DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
(core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...
does it mean that source file is decoded as lossless or only as lossy core?
thx
Old 26th March 2009, 10:29   #8614  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev84 View Post
...does it mean that source file is decoded as lossless or only as lossy core?
ArcSoft decode DTS-MA as lossless.

With -libav only the core.
Old 26th March 2009, 13:48   #8615  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
The sense of that post is the opposite. Madshi doesn't want to add "less" compression, 'cause "speed is good enough".

In this sense i think Madshi didn't use a "Ultra" level to do a speed/compression balancing.

But in my case (and i think in other cases too at this point), 500 megs smaller are more than a weight difference.
Madshi's post suggests he's using flac's --best compression level.

If you de-compress the flac files produced by eac3to and SoundOut are the resulting wav files identical?
Old 26th March 2009, 14:34   #8616  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
but isn't "max compression" max compression already?
Old 26th March 2009, 15:17   #8617  |  Link
dev84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
ArcSoft decode DTS-MA as lossless.

With -libav only the core.
Thank You
Old 26th March 2009, 15:33   #8618  |  Link
DoomBot

Any update on being able to extract forced subtitles only?

I would love to see this feature added it would make things so much easier.

Last edited by DoomBot; 26th March 2009 at 22:00.
Old 26th March 2009, 18:58   #8619  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
I just ran two test encodes of a small 6 channel wav file. The first encoded to flac using eac3to and the second using the flac CLI encoder with the --best switch.

The resulting flac files were (very nearly) the same size. Perhaps there's a problem with SoundOut? It's not truncating the output file is it? I know that the flac CLI encoder can't cope with large files.

Last edited by TinTime; 26th March 2009 at 18:59. Reason: Typo
Old 26th March 2009, 19:38   #8620  |  Link
rik1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
@Madshi
I've discovered (well, I've been told about, technically) an issue with eac3to recognizing original, unused DTS-HD files. By unused, I mean the files created by the DTS-HD Master Audio Suite (the software that the studios use to actually create the DTS-HD MA audio). The DTS software creates files with an extra 140 bytes of header information at the beginning of the files. This information is stripped off when the DTS is used on a final disc, so if you rip DTS off a Blu-Ray disc, this data is not there. Thus, eac3to doesn't recognize a DTS file with this information... The header isn't vague, the first 8 characters are DTSHDHDR. It would be great if the software could be updated to recognize DTS files with this header information still attached.

I encoded a 7.1 test stream for someone else on the forum, and a member discovered the problem when trying to use eac3to on the file. The files are here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mz71xx

There's a DTS-HD High Resolution stream (I don't see this used very often, basically DTS that can go up to a 3mb bitrate), and a DTS-HD Master Audio stream included.
Follow-up to this:

There's more to this than I thought. Apparently the header info is different sized depending on the type of DTS file you've encoded... The header includes the 8 bytes following the string STRMDATA, that seems to be consistent with all the files I've encoded so far.

Rik
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to