Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2003, 23:56   #1  |  Link
boden11

DVD vs CD--help me settle an argument

Well my roommate's dad came up to visit yesterday and being some upper exec at General Mills or something he decided to get all omnipotent on me and tell me how CD-R's and DVD-R's are basically the same thing. I went on to tell him how the error correction on DVDs are better (he said that DVD burnables are thicker cuz they need better protection from scratches and whatnot). He kept turning everything around into 'well the software is what corrects the errors, there's algorithms in the software which tell it what the data SHOULD be'

I know he's full of crap but I haven't been able to find some good information to show him just how wrong he is. I know the lasers to read DVDs and CDs run on completely different wavelengths and whatnot and that a lot of how a DVD functions is how the DVD itself is, not the software used. (He was trying to argue that CDs are limited to 700megs because of the quality of the materials inside the CD and the software used--as if to say you could fit 4.3 gigs on a CD-R if it was better quality and had proper software and hardware). He was really giving me a headache. Anyone got some pointblank information on how difft CD and DVD burnables are?? (And how it's not software)
boden11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 13:41   #2  |  Link
Kedirekin

I agree with you, but I don't know that I can be of much help.

I've seen a fair amount of information on the net on CD specifications. A search for cd red book will probably find you some good material, though you'll have to wade through quite a bit of worthless high level stuff to find a few good sites.

[FYI: red book is the name for one of the CD specifications, I don't remember which one - CD Audio or CD ROM. There are quite a few books; white book, yellow book, etc.]

Unfortunately I've never seen any information on DVD specifications on the net. This sort of makes sense; everything around DVD is so closely controlled - you practically have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to watch a DVD these days.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 13:44   #3  |  Link
Kedirekin

Oh BTW, I don't discourage you from looking into this to satisfy your own curiousity, but I wouldn't bother to talk to your roommate's father again. It's an excercise in futility - you won't convince him of anything.
Old 19th October 2003, 15:20   #4  |  Link
carthoris

General Mills Exec

You can never win against an adult set in his ways so change the subject. Put him on the defensive
Ask him why His company is under SEC investigation for illegal sales practices plus lots of other charges. You have to show them you are not just a neophyte student in the world. Respect is the only why to even the playing field.

Good luck

Cathoris

Dad to 3 college students
carthoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 23:09   #5  |  Link
Kedirekin

LOL! I love it.