Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 14th January 2007, 06:34   #741  |  Link
beaups

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post
Okay, congrats to those who have won round one and yes--the keys are on the disk, but they are encrypted keys on the disk. We still need an (unrevoked) player to decrypt new keys for us or even play old encrypted disks. If your player is revoked, it's end of round one; you won't even be able to play old titles! Here's why: Take a look at Fig. 4-1 of AACS_Spec_Common_0.91.pdf. It appears that the drive holds a Host Revocation List and the host holds a Drive Revocation List. Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems that the first time you place a disk that contains any given player in its revocation list into the drive, that player will forever more no longer function with that drive--even after a fresh reinstall of the player software. Drive firmware hacks may soon be useful.
What would prevent somebody from modifying their "player key" so that it is unique and not in the "revocation list"?....
beaups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:38   #742  |  Link
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups View Post
What would prevent somebody from modifying their "player key" so that it is unique and not in the "revocation list"?....
Nothing except for the fact that the player will no longer be able to decrypt anything to play it.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:41   #743  |  Link
beaups

warren can you please explain why the software player would no longer work?
beaups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:50   #744  |  Link
OverlordQ

http://www.thedarkcitadel.com/svn/BackupHDDVD/

Public checkouts, passworded commits.
OverlordQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:52   #745  |  Link
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordQ View Post
http://rapidshare.com/files/11616301/BackupHDDVD.rar

2 'requested' features added:

1) Will report the calculated Disc Hash
2) If Hash not found in key file, will add it after prompting for the name of the movie.

Given I don't have neither HDDVD Drive nor any HD Movies, I'll need bug reports from somebody on if these work or not

Also, this was compiled against Java 5.0 so if it gives errors, try:

http://rapidshare.com/files/11615854/BackupHDDVD.rar which was compiled as 1.4 compat.

works great here to show the hash thx

Code:
Backup HD-DVD V1.00 (OQ Mod 0.1) Starting
Testing source
Found valid HD-DVD source.
Disc Hash: 0E75082678AAD5CD4410A28A662D6832D21EB325
Look for this movie in my database
Found movie: King Kong
Start backup on Sat Jan 13 21:50:06 PST 2007
Scaning video directory
Processing BLACK.EVO key = 3
also i have waterworld i havent done yet and yes it asked for the name and added it to the key list with the hash etc...

Code:
B5DE266362701D2E7C36A5F389855F2B7DB6A17F=waterworld                                   |V|0/13/2007|00000000000000000000000000000000
but as i havent got the hang of getting the vlk from the memory myself i have no waterworld key yet.

Last edited by woah!; 14th January 2007 at 07:03.
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 07:02   #746  |  Link
melakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups View Post
warren can you please explain why the software player would no longer work?
If you change the device key arbitrarily, it won't be able to obtain the media key, which is needed to get the title keys. The value would have to be changed to a different Kd_i.

3.1 Device Keys
Each compliant device is given a set of secret Device Keys when manufactured. These Device Keys, referred to as Kd_i (i=0,1,…,n-1), are provided by AACS LA, and are used by the device to process the MKB to calculate Km (Media Key).

1.8 Terminology
Media Key
A key that is used to unlock the Title Keys stored on a media that contains Titles protected by AACS. The Media Key can be computed by successfully processing a MKB.
melakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 08:57   #747  |  Link
OverlordQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by woah! View Post
works great here to show the hash thx

Code:
B5DE266362701D2E7C36A5F389855F2B7DB6A17F=waterworld                                   |V|0/13/2007|00000000000000000000000000000000
but as i havent got the hang of getting the vlk from the memory myself i have no waterworld key yet.
Meh, looks like I flubbed up the Month.
OverlordQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 09:50   #748  |  Link
popper

as a side note,i thought this was an interesting comment as regards HDDVD/BR
Flash will kill Blu-ray and HD DVD
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=36930

flash memory is all well and good but i find it iritating that the superslow USB became the standard for interfacing it. its about time we had a FAR faster interface so as to get far better read/write from any flash device ,it seems we need at the very least an updated far faster USB3 to be introduced and PDQ...

Last edited by popper; 14th January 2007 at 09:59.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 10:39   #749  |  Link
hajj_3

lets stick to uploading to sendspace.com, rapidshare is pants! wait times, things get deleted if they are reported etc.

keep up the good work adding features!
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:05   #750  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@popper

Apparently you do not read what Doom9 and I write. Strike issued.

Stick to the topic. "Interesting" things between BR/HDDVD do not belong in this thread.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:15   #751  |  Link
2bigkings

unable to access jarfile backuphddvd.jar error

hi guys,

first post here.
i don't like this java thing, everytime i try to start backuphddvd it says "unable to access jarfile backuphddvd.jar".
What i have to do? i have jre 1.4.2, jre 1.6.0 and jre 1.5.0.10 but everytime i get the same error. It would be helpful to make a tool without java!
thank you very much.

regards
2bigkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:12   #752  |  Link
Amir

About player revocation for when new discs are out...

I was wondering, how is a player identified as being that exact one?. if the version string is somehow sent back to the player then cant we simply edit the .exes resources to send back the vesion of the newly released player?.

e.g. if you use powerdvd6.5 and then 7 is released with 6.5 being the "revoked" one. Would it not be feasible to alter 6.5 to report back as 7?

I'm unsure if there are any checksums returned as part of the return message but was just wondering..
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:16   #753  |  Link
zeroprobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
About player revocation for when new discs are out...

I was wondering, how is a player identified as being that exact one?. if the version string is somehow sent back to the player then cant we simply edit the .exes resources to send back the vesion of the newly released player?.

e.g. if you use powerdvd6.5 and then 7 is released with 6.5 being the "revoked" one. Would it not be feasible to alter 6.5 to report back as 7?

I'm unsure if there are any checksums returned as part of the return message but was just wondering..
It's not the program revoked its the players key. So they will get a new key when they have fixed up there player.

BTW has windvd responded to anything yet lol?
zeroprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:19   #754  |  Link
Amir

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroprobe View Post
It's not the program revoked its the players key. So they will get a new key when they have fixed up there player.

BTW has windvd responded to anything yet lol?
Whoops sorry you are right, this thread is so long stuff at the beginning is getting forgotten :-o
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 13:08   #755  |  Link
JackSnap

I was wondering about that, is it not possible to create a revocation list, with say one player key in it that no one cares about, and set the version number to the highest possible allowed by the structure, then in theory no player will bother importing anymore files as it will always think it has the latest.
JackSnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 13:27   #756  |  Link
zeroprobe

my god, again software players have KEYS which are used to get the volume, title keys.

if this players key is on the revocation list on the hddvd its not going to work.
zeroprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 13:47   #757  |  Link
He-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordQ View Post
http://rapidshare.com/files/11616301/BackupHDDVD.rar

2 'requested' features added:

1) Will report the calculated Disc Hash
2) If Hash not found in key file, will add it after prompting for the name of the movie.

Given I don't have neither HDDVD Drive nor any HD Movies, I'll need bug reports from somebody on if these work or not

Also, this was compiled against Java 5.0 so if it gives errors, try:

http://rapidshare.com/files/11615854/BackupHDDVD.rar which was compiled as 1.4 compat.
Just wondering, isn't the movie title stored somewhere at the HD-DVD disc (maybe the disc title itself, a folder name or in some unencrypted text file) so you can automatically extract the movie title along with the hash value and date?
Old 14th January 2007, 13:53   #758  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
I successfully ripped the entirety of King Kong to my drive with the volume key supplied in this thread. I do not have an HD copy of WinDVD, as I do not want to buy the jap copy. I do have the HD ver of Power DVD 6.5, and I can play everything except the feature film in it just fine. On Vista Ultimate x86, I can play the universal logo and various menu files after they are ripped, but attempting to play the FEATURE_1/2.evos causes PDVD to crash. Same goes on an XP Pro box with entirely different hardware. What I found interesting is that the Vista box I am on now only has a 3.0ghz P4 and 1024mb PC3200 and a meager Geforce 5200, and plays back on a 1280x1024 monitor without hiccups. Pretty sweet, but I wish I could get the feature to play.
Same thing for me on King Kong (XP only), but Serenity plays fine.
What could it be? Different Key?
Tried it twice, once with the new modified version.
Any thoughts as to what else to try?

Mark
Old 14th January 2007, 15:07   #759  |  Link
hajj_3

can someone upload the rapidshare file to sendspace.com please. rapidshare.com isnt working very well for uk users at the moment.

thanks.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 15:09   #760  |  Link
blanchg

Revocation facts from: http://www.aacsla.com/specifications...ommon_0.91.pdf

MKB has three methods of revocation, two specifically for PC's with separate devices/playback software and is described in detail in Section 4 of above document.

Summary here:

1. Device Revocation List (DRL): Each device (i.e. XBOX360 HDDVD Drive) has an id attached to it in a record that has been signed by AACS_LA private key (Section 4.1) and is verified as having not been modified by the Host using the AACS_LA public key. This is versioned inside the MKB which is also signed by the AACS_LA private key (Section 3.2.5.8) and checked it is not modified before use. This pretty much discounts modifying the device id or setting the version of the DRL to it's maximum. (unless we have the AACS_LA private key which is nearly impossible to get/brute force)

2. Host Revocation List (HRL): This is the software running on the pc i.e. (PowerDVD, WinDVD) has it's own id again in a record that has been signed by the AACS_LA private key (Section 4.2) and prevents the same kind of attacks as per the DRL above.

3. Key revocation via Subset-Difference Tree or NNL-Tree: (Seciton 3) This is used both to calculate the Volume Key used by BackupHDDVD and to revoke DEVICE KEYS. Again this is part of the AACS_LA signed MKB and can't be altered. The interesting part of this is that each device calculates the same Volume Key for each disk with the same MKB (this will usually be the same for each "title" in a particular batch as has been proved).

Hope that dispels some of the incorrect information/questions being posted.
blanchg is offline   Reply With Quote