Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 10th May 2017, 12:23   #5461  |  Link
dissory

I've been using MeGUI and found the one-click profile really helpful. One thing I noticed was that when transcoding audio e.g. FLAC -> AAC within video files, it doesn't retain attributes such as audio title name or language in the new video file with the transcoded audio. I'm not sure if the same happens with video but it does with audio.

Is it possible to make it so the attributes/metadata of the original audio stream are also transferred to the transcoded stream?
dissory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 15:36   #5462  |  Link
Zathor

Could you upload a sample file please?
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 23:00   #5463  |  Link
hello_hello

Zathor,
I've briefly played around with the test version of MeGUI 2737 you linked to.
So far it's been behaving itself in respect to locking files..... naturally.... but the new Worker setup (which I'm still trying to get my head around) appears to have broken the right click "run in new temporary worker" option, which is killing me, and a little request while you're at it if I may.....

When right clicking on a job in the queue, each right click options effect only the selected job(s), aside from Abort. It aborts all running jobs which has caught me out a few times because it's inconsistent behaviour and I've clicked through the prompt without thinking. I think the same applies to the buttons at the bottom of the queue window.

I'll keep playing, eagerly awaiting the addition of a "pause" button for encoding in the next update.

Cheers.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 23:22   #5464  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
So far it's been behaving itself in respect to locking files..... naturally.... but the new Worker setup (which I'm still trying to get my head around) appears to have broken the right click "run in new temporary worker" option, which is killing me, and a little request while you're at it if I may.....
Thanks for the feedback. The "temporary worker" issue is unintentional - I will have a look tomorrow and (hopefully) fix it.

Quote:
When right clicking on a job in the queue, each right click options effect only the selected job(s), aside from Abort. It aborts all running jobs which has caught me out a few times because it's inconsistent behaviour and I've clicked through the prompt without thinking. I think the same applies to the buttons at the bottom of the queue window.

I'll keep playing, eagerly awaiting the addition of a "pause" button for encoding in the next update.
Yes, I will have a look as well at the abort button. The confusion may be that abort is intended for the worker and the others for jobs. But as mentioned, I will check it.

Pause is a different story.
Old 11th May 2017, 00:05   #5465  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
awaiting the addition of a "pause" button for encoding in the next update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Pause is a different story.
+1 on the Pause button (many moons been wantin' that) , but, how you gonna pause eg x264.exe ?,

On Sinclair QL (circa 1984/85) a task could be indefinitely suspended, perhaps Windows has not yet reached that maturity.

EDIT: QL Rom, ~24->26KB[EDIT: Maybe 28KB], totally preemptive multitasking OS, with builtin Pascal like, Super Basic lang, and rudimentary
windowing system, totally written by one man, ie Tony Tebby, Sinclair's head engineer at the time (Later left Sinclair and started QJump software).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th May 2017 at 09:53.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 03:50   #5466  |  Link
dissory

Quote:
Could you upload a sample file please?
The files I have are somewhat large so it will take me quite long to upload.

Is it possible the input and transcoded output file mediainfos will help you?
dissory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 07:07   #5467  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissory View Post
The files I have are somewhat large so it will take me quite long to upload.

Is it possible the input and transcoded output file mediainfos will help you?
Let us try it.
Old 11th May 2017, 20:23   #5468  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
I had now the chance to test it myself. Temporary Workers still work as long as the rule set is fullfiled. I assume you want to overrule the rule set with temporary workers?
Old 11th May 2017, 22:04   #5469  |  Link
hello_hello

Zathor,
I don't know it it's my XP PC or not but if you'd care to look.....

Today I was opening a bunch of files in succession with the file indexer, pasting the same text into the script creator, and occasionally clicking the preview button before saving the script and adding it to the queue. I was indexing the jobs five at a time (in succession, so the result was five instances of the script creator open with a preview), pasting the desired text into each, clicking save to close and add to the queue, then indexing the next five. They were low resolution sources. I did that for 20 or so source files until MeGUI clapped out with an error message saying ffms2 couldn't be loaded due to lack of memory when I tried to index.

From there it'd do very little. It threw an out of memory error when I tried to save the log file and when I shut it down so it didn't write a log that was even remotely useful, but I did manage to manually copy a slab of entries from the "Avisynth" section and I checked a bunch of the previously opened source files and they were mostly locked. The Avisynth entries in the log specifying "closed" were few and far between (I should have taken a screenshot of that too). The part of the log file I copied doesn't seem to contain any.

If nothing seems obvious I wouldn't stress too much. This PC's overdue for a reformat. I could probably even use a downgrade to Windows 7 while I'm at it, but in case it's an obvious bug and fixable....

The zip file just includes the section of log file I managed to salvage and a screenshot. http://www.filedropper.com/meguilog
Old 11th May 2017, 22:07   #5470  |  Link
Zathor

New test build uploaded.
- temporary workers ignore now the worker rule set
- jobs can be suspended (and then resumed )

The suspend feature is a "quicky". While it does seem to work - I have tested audio & video encodings - any kind of deeper test or polishing is missing. E.g. currently it is only available from within the progress window. However any kind of feedback is appreciated!
Old 11th May 2017, 22:20   #5471  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I had now the chance to test it myself. Temporary Workers still work as long as the rule set is fullfiled. I assume you want to overrule the rule set with temporary workers?
Yeah. I'm just used to being able to switch to the job queue and right click to run a job regardless of the worker situation and what's already running. It'd be good if temporary workers continued to work independently of the normal workers, but maybe I just need to understand the new setup better. I right clicked as usual to see a "no jobs waiting" message (or something along those lines) instead of the job in question just running as it normally would, especially as I was just trying to run an analysis pass (to find a hybrid NTSC source) while an encode was running.

So the maximum parallel jobs for a particular type/worker (one that's running) limits the temporary worker's ability to run new jobs?
I haven't played with it much yet but what if I have a worker configured for 2 parallel encoding jobs. Is there any way to only run one using that worker so I can then run a second encoding job in a temporary worker at my leisure, or will I need to create another worker?
Old 11th May 2017, 22:21   #5472  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Today I was opening a bunch of files in succession with the file indexer, pasting the same text into the script creator, and occasionally clicking the preview button before saving the script and adding it to the queue. I was indexing the jobs five at a time (in succession, so the result was five instances of the script creator open with a preview), pasting the desired text into each, clicking save to close and add to the queue, then indexing the next five. They were low resolution sources. I did that for 20 or so source files until MeGUI clapped out with an error message saying ffms2 couldn't be loaded due to lack of memory when I tried to index.
Based on the screenshot you really run out of memory. However based on the log - if the last entry is the recent one - no avisynth thread was open at that time as the number of sessions was 0. It may be a memory leak in one of the avisynth plugins (e.g. ffms2). You can try to open again a number of avisynth threads and watch nearby the memory usage. When you close an avisynth thread the memory should go down again.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:23   #5473  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
So the maximum parallel jobs for a particular type/worker (one that's running) limits the temporary worker's ability to run new jobs?
I haven't played with it much yet but what if I have a worker configured for 2 parallel encoding jobs. Is there any way to only run one using that worker so I can then run a second encoding job in a temporary worker at my leisure, or will I need to create another worker?
No, as written above this was a not desired feature (or bug) and a new build is already available where you can start as many temporary worker as you would like ignoring the automatic worker rules.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:23   #5474  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
The suspend feature is a "quicky". While it does seem to work - I have tested audio & video encodings - any kind of deeper test or polishing is missing. E.g. currently it is only available from within the progress window. However any kind of feedback is appreciated!
I'll have to play with that one a bit later but personally the only type of job I'm particularly interested in pausing is a video encoding one. The rest aren't usually CPU intensive or time consuming enough that it's an issue to wait until they finish in order to do something else.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:28   #5475  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Based on the screenshot you really run out of memory. However based on the log - if the last entry is the recent one - no avisynth thread was open at that time as the number of sessions was 0.
Yeah, I shut the two open instances of the script creator down before taking the screen shot to see if I'd get any memory back.
Any hints in that log file regarding locked source files?

Quote:
It may be a memory leak in one of the avisynth plugins (e.g. ffms2). You can try to open again a number of avisynth threads and watch nearby the memory usage. When you close an avisynth thread the memory should go down again.
I'll give it a try, although that'll probably be a job for tomorrow so I can get something achieved today.

Cheers.
Old 11th May 2017, 22:49   #5476  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Any hints in that log file regarding locked source files?
Sadly not
Old 11th May 2017, 23:04   #5477  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Based on the screenshot you really run out of memory. However based on the log - if the last entry is the recent one - no avisynth thread was open at that time as the number of sessions was 0. It may be a memory leak in one of the avisynth plugins (e.g. ffms2). You can try to open again a number of avisynth threads and watch nearby the memory usage. When you close an avisynth thread the memory should go down again.
I've saved the log file to date and I'm running some encodes but would this be normal? Seems the trick might be to not add too many jobs in succession before starting an encode so I can have some memory back.

After indexing the first file (ffms2) and adding the job to the queue.

After indexing and adding the sixth job:

Immediately after starting encoding by right clicking on the last added job and selecting "run in temporary worker"

After MeGUI has added a job to the queue does the source file normally remain locked? I don't recall that being the case but the reason for the steps above was also to see if the files will be unlocked when encoding is done.... in an hour or so.... as according to Unlocker MeGUI has locked each one several times.

I'll report back....

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th May 2017 at 23:46.
Old 12th May 2017, 00:20   #5478  |  Link
hello_hello

Here's a full log file Zather, http://www.filedropper.com/meguilogs
after having encoded the sixth file I added to the queue in my previous memory tests. After encoding finished, I checked that file with with Unlocker:

If the log file doesn't tell you anything, I'll just keep giving Unlocker a workout.

PS. I had intended to index each job, save the script, then add it to the queue for encoding before moving onto the next one, but I forgot to add the first two scripts to the queue until I'd indexed the third source file because I was busy watching memory usage, if that helps clarify the order I did things.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Last edited by hello_hello; 12th May 2017 at 00:28.
Old 12th May 2017, 00:43   #5479  |  Link
hello_hello

Zathor, I had a quick play with the new "suspend" function..... WhoooooHooooo!!!

A couple of thoughts, although you've probably thought them already....
The clock should stop and the fps guesstimate should do likewise.

Actually I'd like to see the fps guestimate far more responsive to changes in encoding speed. Currently if encoding speed was to drop by 50% it'd take minutes to be reflected in the progress window, but anyway....

WhoooooHooooo!!! Thanks Zathor!
Old 12th May 2017, 11:08   #5480  |  Link
rhaz

Both latest builds from dev server of MeGUI x32 and x64 crash when applying m2PA=true to your avs script and hitting Preview. MeGUI eats 100% CPU until it crashes.

Most basic scripts e.g.
Code:
LoadPlugin("ffms2.dll")
FFVideoSource("video.mkv", cachefile="video.ffindex", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
LoadPlugin("TIVTC.dll")
tdecimate(mode=2, rate=25, m2PA=true)
How do I fix/debug this?
rhaz is offline   Reply With Quote