Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2002, 14:03   #1  |  Link
iparout

Planet Of The Apes audio problem

Hi there.

I am trying to rip Planet of The Apes (2001) into DivX however I am experiencing a problem with the audio of the DVD. I am unable to find the english audio track of the DVD. I used Smart Ripper to rip the movie and I have checked the INFO file which says that the English 6ch track is 0x80, however when I decoded this track with Vob2Audio I found out that it's the French track.

I have a region 2 DVD which is most probably a French one. I have tried to decode 4 out of the 5 tracks of the DVD but none of them seems to be the correct English track (they are either French tracks too or Enlgish Director's Commentary). I am sure I have ripped the correct angle of the movie cause I see no popups with the cast & crew discussing the film...

I have yet to try 1 track to see if that's the one I am looking for, however this track is DTS and DVD2AVI cannot decode or demux it...

Since I just read a few FAQs and found out that there's nothing that can be done with the DTS track, what can I do to get the English audio off the DVD ? Or should I just give up with this movie ?

To what it's worth, here is the INFO file SmartRipper produced :

* Stream Info *

Stream[001] X=[[0xE0] Video PAL 720x576] [] [] [] []
Stream[002] X=[[0x80] Audio English AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] [] This is NOT an English track. It's a French track. I don't know why SmartRipper reports it wrong.
Stream[003] X=[[0x81] Audio Français AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []DVD2AVI says this is a DTS track so I don't know if it's English or French.
Stream[004] X=[[0x8A] Audio Français SDDS(6Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []This is a French track.
Stream[005] X=[[0x83] Audio English AC3(2Ch) 48kHz Directors Comments] [] [] [] []This is English Director's Commentary
Stream[006] X=[[0x84] Audio English AC3(2Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] [] This is English Director'sd Commentary as well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by iparout; 17th November 2002 at 14:24.
iparout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2002, 14:31   #2  |  Link
iparout

UPDATE :

When I load the vobs into the File Mode of PowerDVD, the audio is the correct one (English) and it plays flawlessly ?!? When I right click on PowerDVD and select audio, it says Audio 1 (no other audios appear in the drop-down menu), it is ticked and greyed out...

How come PowerDVD recognizes the audio correctly ?
Old 17th November 2002, 15:27   #3  |  Link
JohnMK

Try demultiplexing the audio with DVD2AVI. Also,

Stream[002] X=[[0x80] Audio English AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ]

Is in fact English.
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2002, 16:29   #4  |  Link
iparout

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMK
Try demultiplexing the audio with DVD2AVI. Also,

Stream[002] X=[[0x80] Audio English AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ]

Is in fact English.
No, I already decoded Stream 002 0x80 with DVD2AVI and the track is *NOT English... It is French.
Old 20th November 2002, 09:50   #5  |  Link
specise_8472

Try using vobrator.
It has a function to demux dts as wave. I find it good for general demuxing , after coping vobs to hdd.