Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 2nd March 2007, 08:31   #581  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by rig99 View Post
The error clip says
Error initializing audio stream decompression:
The requested conversion is not possible.
Check to make sure you have the required codec.
(d:\dvd\lkj\preview.avs, line 68)

On line 68 I have "myclip = AVISource(video)" where video is path to the video.
So the video fails to open one time, but opens okay the second time, without messing with codecs or anything? That's weird, usually if it won't open at once, it won't open at all; it's the AVIStreamSource and System Exceptions that tend to be ephermal.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 05:40   #582  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

There seems to be a little problem with the image saving; trying to save a 256x256 will instantly crash the program.
Old 5th March 2007, 07:26   #583  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
There seems to be a little problem with the image saving; trying to save a 256x256 will instantly crash the program.
I tried saving a frame from the script "Version().BicubicResize(256, 256)", didn't have any problems. I also tested some avi files, rgb, yv12, etc. Does this crash occur for you on all videos, or just some specific videos? Does the crash also occur if you tried the same thing with vdub?
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 08:05   #584  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Hmm, it only seems to happen in RGB mode, now that I'm testing further. Not all the time, but the smaller it is the more often it seems to crash. I can't get it to reliably happen, though, and there's a good chance the underlying problem is avisynth's; it's doing that annoying disappearing crash every so often while changing around how I crop Version(). I guess I'll have to make a debug avisynth.dll again.

Feature request: Ability to turn off asking about saving tabs. It's nice that it does it, but when you like having 10 unsaved (or unnamed) tabs open, it gets a little overbearing. I love temporary scripts, I don't know how I ever got on without them. >.>

Oh yeah, another thing I was wondering about was single instance, if it's possible. A global mutex (or the budget version, exclusive open file lock) would prevent it from running in multi-session systems, but then again you could add the session ID to the test.

ps, I replicated the crash outside AvsP, it's a memory corruption thing, sorry for the bad report.

Minor bug: In the default function definitions, ConvertToBackYUY2 should be ConvertBackToYUY2. =p

Last edited by foxyshadis; 6th March 2007 at 13:27.
Old 7th March 2007, 07:16   #585  |  Link
jubilex

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
Okay, the fact that the window resizes to the appropriate size implies that the avs script is being loaded. If not even the simplest of scripts display anything (try a script like "Version()", or try doing a preview of no text at all), there may be a refresh issue (I'm stretching, I know). Try posting a screenshot of the entire program so I can see the script and the video preview, and also make sure you don't overlook any error messages (they might pop up in a separate window).
Was this problem ever solved? I am having the same thing happen to me -- no video preview at all, but the preview pane is sized correctly, slider works, etc. Works fine when I use external preview. Version() and avisynth errors DO display in the preview pane. And like the other guy, the preview USED to work for me (and still does on another machine). Not sure when or why it stopped working.
jubilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 09:53   #586  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Feature request: Ability to turn off asking about saving tabs. It's nice that it does it, but when you like having 10 unsaved (or unnamed) tabs open, it gets a little overbearing. I love temporary scripts, I don't know how I ever got on without them. >.>
No problemo, it'll be in the next release (coming very soon...).

Quote:
Oh yeah, another thing I was wondering about was single instance, if it's possible. A global mutex (or the budget version, exclusive open file lock) would prevent it from running in multi-session systems, but then again you could add the session ID to the test.
It's possible, but when I tried implementing it a while ago I needed to import the socket library in python, which added about a megabyte to the program size. I'll look into it some more. In reality I don't know much about mutex and socket stuff, so any help here is appreciated .

Quote:
Minor bug: In the default function definitions, ConvertToBackYUY2 should be ConvertBackToYUY2. =p
Whoops . It'll be fixed in the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilex View Post
Was this problem ever solved? I am having the same thing happen to me -- no video preview at all, but the preview pane is sized correctly, slider works, etc. Works fine when I use external preview. Version() and avisynth errors DO display in the preview pane. And like the other guy, the preview USED to work for me (and still does on another machine). Not sure when or why it stopped working.
This is pretty difficult to understand, I can't imagine why it would work one day and not the next. I'll be releasing a new version sometime today or tomorrow, the display code's changed a bit, so be sure to try it out and let me know if the problem's still there.
Old 7th March 2007, 17:04   #587  |  Link
jubilex

Just solved it (finally). I believe the thing that fixed it was setting the Raw Video in FFDShow to All Supported. No idea how that would have gotten switched off (assuming I had it on before, which I'm pretty sure I did), but preview is working now.

Thanks for a fantastic program.
jubilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 20:36   #588  |  Link
qwerpoi

New version 1.3.7, get it from the download page or from the mirror. Windows 98 users should download from here (win98). The download's a little bigger this time (5.1 MB), but only because I included an offline copy of the website as documentation. Here's the (huge) changelog:
Quote:
* make up/down/left/right video shortcuts editable (suggested by Alain2, avid_avs_user)

* removed modifier restrictions for keyboard shortcuts (suggested by avid_avs_user)

* allow language translation for Ctrl, Alt, Shift (suggested by Henrikx)

* added menu items for trim selection start/end (suggested by avid_avs_user)

* added ability to export/import individual filter presets (suggested by krisq)

* added pixel position and color information to status bar (suggested by nibbles, jmac698)

* added macro to get filter info from avisynth (needs Avisynth 2.5.7+) (contributed by tsp)

* added ability to label user slider separators (suggested by R3Z)

* added ability to free all script videos from memory (suggested by foxyshadis)

* use the source filename as default in the file save dialog (suggested by Zarxrax)

* updated extension-based templates with .dga files and AVCSource() (suggested by unskinnyboy)

* added option to not prompt to unsaved scripts on program exit (suggested by foxyshadis)

* added several help menu items linking to website documentation

* improved subwindow layout management

* improved calltip displaying during window focus/motion

* minor changes to the display code

+ fixed issues with syntax highlighting default style (thanks Alain2)

+ fixed bug with unicode characters in script (thanks Spuds)

+ added workaround for top-level variables in macros (thanks tsp)

+ fixed minor bug when switching from zoom fit to regular zoom

+ fixed several subwindow positioning issues
This release probably has more subtle improvements compared to the last one, but they're very important changes in my eyes. The most important change is that the window layout management has been greatly improved. The video and slider windows are now positioned on a tab per tab basis, the slider window is automatically hidden if the script has no sliders, I squashed some annoying bugs which caused strange window layout when the program changed size, etc, etc. Just try it out, you'll see things run smoother with respect to managing windows.

Another major change is that I reworked the entire way the program registers keyboard shortcuts. This doesn't mean much to most users, but now you can finally edit the prev/next frame/sec/min shortcuts. This also means that language translators can finally translate the Ctrl/Alt/Shift names (bet you thought I forgot about that ). I also removed the shortcut modifier restrictions, you can now assign anything you want as a keyboard shortcut - just don't come complaining to me when you find out you can't enter the letter "a" in a script anymore .

There's also a new macro contributed by tsp, the "Update Function Definitions" macro. This is very cool - if you're running AviSynth 2.5.7 or above, try running the macro. You'll find that every single plugin you haven't added to AvsP's function definition list (which controls syntax highlighting, autocompletion, and calltips) will now magically be there, along with the function arguments. Amazing! Basically the macro is pulling the information directly out of AviSynth, powerful stuff. It's been discussed before, but this macro doesn't depend on additional dlls and isn't version specific (although as I mentioned you'll need a recent version). Actually, I plan to fully integrate this into the program once everything is streamlined, in theory it's possible you'll never have to manually update filter names and arguments in AvsP again. Again, big thanks to tsp for the contribution.

On a related note, you can now export your filter customizations to a file, which you can give to someone else to import. It's a little different then simply giving someone your filters.dat file, here you can choose specific filters to export, they can choose specific filters to import, they can choose to only update but not overwrite, etc. This is useful if you've set up a lot of presets for filters, which is currently the best way for storing user sliders per filter, and you want to share them with others. Anyway, you can read more about it here.

There's some new info on the status bar now, when the video is focused you can move the mouse over regions of the video to see the pixel xy coordinates and color. The color format shown is defaulted to hexadecimal, but you can change the format to rgb or yuv in "Options -> Program settings..." under the "Video 1" tab. The pixel coordinates and colors should be accurate regardless of the video preview zoom or scrolled position. Note that I realize this isn't quite optimal as a full-blown color picker, I'm still considering the best way to put a feature like that together.

Some other smaller stuff that needs discussion. You can now stop AvsP from prompting to save files on program exit (it's not needed since AvsP automatically saves all scripts as a session on exit), go to "Options -> Program settings..." and uncheck "Prompt to save scripts on program exit". Another feature requested a while ago - when you save a new script, AvsP will try and guess the filename of the first source and use that as the default directory and name in the Save As.. dialog. For example, if you make a new tab and enter "AviSource("C:\movies\test.avi")", then when you save the file the dialog box starts in the directory "C:\movies" and the initial filename is "test.avs". The detection is not extremely sophisticated, basically AvsP finds all the strings in the script, and uses the first string that's both an existing file and has a source file extension (as defined by the extension-based templates). Finally, you can now have labels for user slider separators, looks nicer than I thought it would, check out the screenshot and read more here.

Other than that, you'll notice that I updated the website finally, and as I mentioned before an offline version is now included with the download (in the "help" directory). The help menu in AvsP now links to some of these pages, it will open the online urls if it can't find the offline version. I changed the home page to include the changelog, and added an about page (with some testomonials from this thread ). I still need to update the flash tutorial, though. If you notice any other inconsistencies or things which need explanation, let me know. Anyway, be sure to report back with any new bugs or feature requests.
Old 7th March 2007, 20:39   #589  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Thanks for making the best avisynth gui text editor even better
Downloading now.

Interesting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi
added ability to free all script videos from memory (suggested by foxyshadis)
That's very nice/useful right there. This should speed things up after say, previewing a script that consumes a lot of memory such as mvdegrain2 with a blksize of 4, fft3d, mcbob, eedi2, or Didée's motion compensated denoising script.

Last edited by Terranigma; 7th March 2007 at 20:53.
Terranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 23:09   #590  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

qwerpoi,
1. can you provide old 1.3.6 version of _translation.py file ?
2. how I can add link to Russian readme.txt without replacing english file?
Old 8th March 2007, 00:07   #591  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizick View Post
qwerpoi,
you can download version 1.3.6 (which includes your requested file) here
Old 8th March 2007, 01:53   #592  |  Link
Spuds
dumber every day

Just finished the downloading and initial test ... First the Update Function Definitions macro is too sweet ! Is there a way to set the initial doc path/url for the function help file or could it remember the last path searched ?

On the unicode characters error I have good and bad news. The good is I don't get the error when I back over them after loading the script, the bad is the program still abends when I load the script - exit - restart, I can see the python pop up for a split second but can't capture it to tell you what it says.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 03:06   #593  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilex View Post
Just solved it (finally). I believe the thing that fixed it was setting the Raw Video in FFDShow to All Supported. No idea how that would have gotten switched off (assuming I had it on before, which I'm pretty sure I did), but preview is working now.

Thanks for a fantastic program.
Thanks for finding that out. I'll try and compile an FAQ for the website, this will definitely be on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranigma View Post
That's very nice/useful right there. This should speed things up after say, previewing a script that consumes a lot of memory such as mvdegrain2 with a blksize of 4, fft3d, mcbob, eedi2, or Didée's motion compensated denoising script.
Heh, you should thank foxyshadis for that, it's a kind of strange feature request, one I wouldn't have thought up myself, but as you mention it certainly can be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizick View Post
qwerpoi,
2. how I can add link to Russian readme.txt without replacing english file?
1. Sure, download from here (right click and save as).

2. Actually, I took the link to the readme.txt in the Help menu out of this version, since it's pretty out of date compared to the website docs, sorry. But the issue's still there with the new links to the website docs, so I'll try and make those paths configurable in the next release. Actually, if anyone is interested in translating the website, let me know, I can give you the raw text source to translate, which I can then convert to html. However, it's a really huge amount of text so I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a lot of time on your hands .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Just finished the downloading and initial test ... First the Update Function Definitions macro is too sweet ! Is there a way to set the initial doc path/url for the function help file or could it remember the last path searched ?
Good point, in the next version I'll have it default to the avisynth program directory, and possibly have it remember the last path searched as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
On the unicode characters error I have good and bad news. The good is I don't get the error when I back over them after loading the script, the bad is the program still abends when I load the script - exit - restart, I can see the python pop up for a split second but can't capture it to tell you what it says.
Hum, that's disappointing news. I've never gotten the error popup on startup, could you be more descriptive with what's happening? Does the error close AvsP on startup? One thing to make sure of is that you don't use a session file from the new version with an old version, that's likely to cause an error. Does anyone else notice this issue?
Old 8th March 2007, 03:30   #594  |  Link
Terranigma
*Space Reserved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
Does anyone else notice this issue?
Yes, it closes AvsP on startup. Now I haven't encountered this problem with 1.3.7 just yet, but I did encounter it with 1.3.6 and 1.3.5. I could'nt pinpoint exactly why it was erroneously crashing. It would, however, sometimes say something about the avisynth script containing unicode characters.

Last edited by Terranigma; 8th March 2007 at 03:33.
Old 8th March 2007, 04:54   #595  |  Link
Eggroll

Looking for more functionality in macros

Just recently discovered avsP and starting to seize the potential of this application in script editing.

I was wondering if there was a possiblity to store (and access) global variables in a macro so another macro could use a global variable stored in a previous macro?

It could take the form of a key/value dictionary in avsp object that would allow different macros to access the same dictionary and fiddle with previously saved values.

Thanks in advance, keep on the good work.
Eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 05:08   #596  |  Link
Spuds
dumber every day

Finally got a capture of that allusive startup error window !! As Terranigma noted is closes AvsP on startup.

Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 10:40   #597  |  Link
krisq

Excellent work qwerpoi, as always .
Something cool came to my mind lately. When you make a preset like
Code:
LeakKernelDeint (order=0, threshold=6, sharp=true, map=false)
it would be nice if we could do something like
Code:
LeakKernelDeint (order=%C, threshold=6, sharp=true, map=false)
where %C is the cursor so that way we could immediatley edit this value without scrolling to it. What do you think?
Old 8th March 2007, 10:55   #598  |  Link
Henrikx

@qwerpoi

Update German Translation 1.3.7
Old 8th March 2007, 13:37   #599  |  Link
khs81

Hi!
At first, I want to thank qwerpoi for the nice job.

Second: we prepared an italian translation for the tool (for the version 1.3.6). You can find it here
khs81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 13:44   #600  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Excellent work qwerpoi, as always .
Something cool came to my mind lately. When you make a preset like
Code:
LeakKernelDeint (order=0, threshold=6, sharp=true, map=false)
it would be nice if we could do something like
Code:
LeakKernelDeint (order=%C, threshold=6, sharp=true, map=false)
where %C is the cursor so that way we could immediatley edit this value without scrolling to it. What do you think?
Could be done by shifting to macros, but certainly not half as convenient. Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't even realize AvsP had presets. Guess I'm skimming the changelogs a little too fast!