Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 28th January 2008, 10:16   #3101  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
It's on it's way. I was a bit fast on reporting. Should test with earlier versions of eac3to first to rule out bad lpcm source. Sorry!

www.earselect.se/bugreport.txt

www.earselect.se/test.lpcm
The crash occurs while eac3to is testing whether this file is a VC-1 stream. This explains why the problem didn't occur with v2.13 because that version wasn't able to automatically detect raw VC-1 yet. Will fix this in the next build. BTW, I'm not sure which channel mapping the Haali Media Splitter (which is used by h264tsto) uses for PCM files. So I'd suggest that you double check whether the channels are in the correct order...
Old 28th January 2008, 11:26   #3102  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Could you please compare the length of the demuxed E-AC3 files v2.19 vs v2.20? I'm wondering whether v2.20 demuxes more or less than v2.19. Currently don't have time to look into this. Anyway, the difference should be minimal, so nothing to worry about...
Byte for byte they were the exact same size, the same goes for time. The funny thing is, I went and converted several tracks to flac (the same evo tracks converted to ac3) and different titles had the same error. I only converted to flac this round with 2.20, will try one of those two with 2.19 later today.
Old 28th January 2008, 12:45   #3103  |  Link
kmitalian

ill try

I'm gonna try it again now with that same method that has been tried with success,

i am getting a picture, the sound is perfect but it stutters, im gonna try to use the new eac3to and ill let you know, i do have POTO US Edition, and ill also try Harry Potter order of the Pheonix cause i couldnt demux that with EVODemux ok.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:08   #3104  |  Link
Jaja1

Quote:
With which decoder and which eac3to version?
Ah, for The Searchers I use both libav and sonic with eac3to 2.20 and earlier versions. Sonic creates
an ac3 track with clicks. However libav creates a clean ac3 track.

For Robin Hood, eac3to 2.20 and earlier, both sonic and libav gives me an ac3 track with clicks. I finally used the DVD audiotrack to mux into the mkv.

Both cases first audio track.

Regarding The Searchers, I don't know whether the file is really corrupt. As you already mentioned the eac3 track is okay and as I noticed, PDVD plays the file back fine. I got this via via from an vague acquaintance of mine, so can't rip it myself. Will ask him, but I don't know when this will be in my posession. I don't even know whether he's willing to do a rerip at all.

Quote:
With eac3to v2.16 I can remux this to MKV and the resulting MKV plays perfectly fine including audio
with no artifacts and no speedup. I had to edit the EVO a bit, though, cause it was cut in such a way that the
video started at the middle of a frame.
Okay, how do I recognize frame boundaries in a hex editor. That would make life easier.

The mkv of Unforgiven seems fine now after briefly watching some parts. Great! Unfortunately extracting the audiotrack gives the not a clean audio track error. I'll try to solve that with delaycut.

I read you made your own splitter. I don't know anything of the complexity of splitters and direct show, but could this be made into a DS version? In that case VC1 evo could be played directly in ZP or MPC I guess. However, I don't know what I'm asking for in terms of time, so read the request with a grain of salt

And do you ever sleep? I seldom saw such a devotion to make something work. Thanks a lot for that
Old 28th January 2008, 15:01   #3105  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
The crash occurs while eac3to is testing whether this file is a VC-1 stream. This explains why the problem didn't occur with v2.13 because that version wasn't able to automatically detect raw VC-1 yet. Will fix this in the next build. BTW, I'm not sure which channel mapping the Haali Media Splitter (which is used by h264tsto) uses for PCM files. So I'd suggest that you double check whether the channels are in the correct order...

Haali Media Splitter does not remap. So LPCM demuxed with h264tsto should be used with -blu-ray switch.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:23   #3106  |  Link
umaximus

madshi, hands down for such a great tool, would payout/donate anytime for this app..

Anyone that has done Million Dollar Baby with -skip2 option, did u maybe found out the correct delay for audio sync? how much frames does 'one skip' cut? Any good app out there, where could u import mkv video & audio in as seperates and then looking for lip sync on screen to find out correct delay needed?
Old 28th January 2008, 16:30   #3107  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaximus View Post
madshi, hands down for such a great tool, would payout/donate anytime for this app..

Anyone that has done Million Dollar Baby with -skip2 option, did u maybe found out the correct delay for audio sync? how much frames does 'one skip' cut? Any good app out there, where could u import mkv video & audio in as seperates and then looking for lip sync on screen to find out correct delay needed?
About -500ms. Mux audio and video with mkvmerge and then apply video delay in ffdshow. If using ffdshow for audio it important to have a preset that autoloads with diffrent codecs. AC3 will not go through ffdshow with same delay as uncompressed for example (I think).
Old 28th January 2008, 16:52   #3108  |  Link
umaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
About -500ms. Mux audio and video with mkvmerge and then apply video delay in ffdshow. If using ffdshow for audio it important to have a preset that autoloads with diffrent codecs. AC3 will not go through ffdshow with same delay as uncompressed for example (I think).
Could i re-process the audio with eac3to and apply 500ms of delay and them mux it with mkvmerge?
Old 28th January 2008, 16:56   #3109  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Could i re-process the audio with eac3to and apply 500ms of delay and them mux it with mkvmerge?
I think you should cut/remove 500ms from the the audio.
Don't know exactly what skip2 means in terms of delay. But there is a 133ms delay in the evo.

Last edited by rickardk; 28th January 2008 at 17:29.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:59   #3110  |  Link
umaximus

yes, my bad, i meant to apply -500ms (''--500ms'') with eac3to and them mux it together in mkvmerge..
Old 28th January 2008, 19:18   #3111  |  Link
nautilus7

If it's -500ms that is needed, then you have to put "-500ms" (not --500ms) as the original delay of +133ms is only applied when the -skip option isn't used (unless i missed something).
Old 28th January 2008, 19:32   #3112  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
Byte for byte they were the exact same size, the same goes for time. The funny thing is, I went and converted several tracks to flac (the same evo tracks converted to ac3) and different titles had the same error. I only converted to flac this round with 2.20, will try one of those two with 2.19 later today.
Hmmmm... I've an idea what could be going wrong. Will check that later...
Old 28th January 2008, 19:33   #3113  |  Link
umaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
If it's -500ms that is needed, then you have to put "-500ms" (not --500ms) as the original delay of +133ms is only applied when the -skip option isn't used (unless i missed something).
ay, i thought that '-' is the 'base' symbol for any operation eac3to is working with.. in case of Million Dolla Baby, you cannot exctract audio with eac3to in the first place, since audio is also damaged at the begining..

delaycut is showing last unsynchronized frame at 624ms, could that be the 'perfect' delay time for it?

Quote:
====== PROCESSING LOG ======================
Time 00:00:00.512; Frame#= 33. Crc error IGNORED: read = 21F3; calculated=4112
Time 00:00:00.528; Frame#= 34. Unsynchronized frame...REWINDED 558 bytes. Found new synch word
Time 00:00:00.544; Frame#= 35. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #41 and this frame
Time 00:00:00.544; Frame#= 35. Crc error IGNORED: read = B80B; calculated=86D4
Time 00:00:00.560; Frame#= 36. Unsynchronized frame...SKIPPED 1310 bytes. Found new synch word
Time 00:00:00.576; Frame#= 37. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #35 and this frame
Time 00:00:00.576; Frame#= 37. Crc error IGNORED: read = A5FD; calculated=76BC
Time 00:00:00.592; Frame#= 38. Unsynchronized frame...SKIPPED 16107 bytes. Found new synch word
Time 00:00:00.608; Frame#= 39. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #37 and this frame
Time 00:00:00.608; Frame#= 39. Crc error IGNORED: read = E6F1; calculated=F5ED
Time 00:00:00.624; Frame#= 40. Unsynchronized frame...SKIPPED 3819 bytes. Found new synch word
Time 00:00:00.640; Frame#= 41. Some basic parameters changed between Frame #39 and this frame
Number of written frames = 497182
Number of Errors= 12
Old 28th January 2008, 19:33   #3114  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitalian View Post
i am getting a picture, the sound is perfect but it stutters, im gonna try to use the new eac3to and ill let you know, i do have POTO US Edition, and ill also try Harry Potter order of the Pheonix cause i couldnt demux that with EVODemux ok.
Make sure that it's not your playback system (e.g. the decoder DirectShow filter you're using, or a too slow CPU) which is responsible for the stuttering. Not every stuttering needs to be caused by a bad remux.
Old 28th January 2008, 19:40   #3115  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
Ah, for The Searchers I use both libav and sonic with eac3to 2.20 and earlier versions. Sonic creates
an ac3 track with clicks. However libav creates a clean ac3 track.

For Robin Hood, eac3to 2.20 and earlier, both sonic and libav gives me an ac3 track with clicks. I finally used the DVD audiotrack to mux into the mkv.
With the Robin Hook sample you sent me decoding seems to work just fine for me with both Nero and libav. Can't hear any clicks. Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

Quote:
Regarding The Searchers, I don't know whether the file is really corrupt. As you already mentioned the eac3 track is okay and as I noticed, PDVD plays the file back fine.
My current guess is that PDVD is just more error tolerant. Meaning that a bad video frame is just skipped and doesn't impact the decoder. In contrast the MS VC-1 decoder when being fed from our usual DirectShow filters seem to go totally insane when there's a damaged frame somewhere in the stream. This might be the difference. Maybe there's really one bad frame and PDVD just breezes through it, hiding the problem well.

Quote:
Okay, how do I recognize frame boundaries in a hex editor. That would make life easier.
With VC-1 look for "00 00 01 0F" which is the beginning of a sequence header. Inside an EVO file there should be a "00 00 01 BA" some bytes before the sequence header, which is the EVO "pack header" structure. The "00 00 01 BA" should being on a multiply of 0x800.

Quote:
I read you made your own splitter. I don't know anything of the complexity of splitters and direct show, but could this be made into a DS version? In that case VC1 evo could be played directly in ZP or MPC I guess. However, I don't know what I'm asking for in terms of time, so read the request with a grain of salt
Just writing a DS splitter itself is not that much of a problem. I could probably do that. But there's more than just splitting. E.g. you need to support pausing, seeking and all that kind of stuff. That's the main problem I see in writing a splitter. And that's why I'm not keen on doing that. I prefer to work no creating perfect MKV files.

Quote:
And do you ever sleep? I seldom saw such a devotion to make something work. Thanks a lot for that
Ah well, I'm *trying* to limit my eac3to programming time on Sundays cause I cannot really afford to work on it on other days because otherwise it affects my real life job. Unfortunately sometimes I can't keep myself from working on eac3to on other days, too. But I shouldn't really do that........
Old 28th January 2008, 19:44   #3116  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
how much frames does 'one skip' cut?
"one skip" cuts one sequence header. There's no constant number of frames per sequence header. What I've seen it can be anything between 5-20 frames, with the average maybe being something like 8 frames. Not really sure, though. Didn't pay much attention to that. I believe there are also some movies where sequence headers are used less often. So in such cases the "one skip" might eat a lot of frames.

Quote:
Any good app out there, where could u import mkv video & audio in as seperates and then looking for lip sync on screen to find out correct delay needed?
Best way would probably be to mux the audio track into the MKV and then use MPC for delay finding. With MPC you can use the [-] and [+] keys in the numpad of the keyboard to adjust audio delay in realtime during playback. Helps a lot in finding the right delay.
Old 28th January 2008, 19:46   #3117  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
delaycut is showing last unsynchronized frame at 624ms, could that be the 'perfect' delay time for it?
That's seemingly the end of the corruption. It could match the end of the first two video sequence headers - or not.
Old 28th January 2008, 21:09   #3118  |  Link
Richum

SurCode Error

Code:
D:\EAC3>eac3to F:\FEATURE_1.EVO+F:\FEATURE_2.EVO 4: D:\MKV\cream.dts -1536
EVO, 1 video track, 2 audio tracks, 2:05:42
1: Joined EVO file
2: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001
3: RAW/PCM, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
4: DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz, dialnorm: -4dB
Extracting audio track number 4...
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)...
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Writing WAVs...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.C.wav"...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.L.wav"...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.LFE.wav"...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.R.wav"...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.SR.wav"...
Creating/writing file "D:\MKV\cream.SL.wav"...
Found Surcode DTS Encoder version 1.0.21.0.
Surcode sais/asks: "At least one valid source file must be specified to encode.".
Pressing the Surcode "Encode" button didn't seem to work...
Closing Surcode...
Why does this fail? Surcode sais/asks:

All the wav files are made but are immediately deleted by the program after this error is issued. Should the sais be says?
Old 28th January 2008, 21:31   #3119  |  Link
rory83

To date, I've had no success creating a working file from my US Phantom. Eac3to, current version, produces an mkv but all the players that I have on the PC cause the usual corruption beginning after the Warner title, basically I think because of the Haali splitter destroying Madshi's good work. I don't have a method that doesn't appear to use the Haali splitter to play back mkvs. No errors are reported during eac3to's processing.

I tried taking the first 100MB of the Phantom mkv to my Popcornhour, to see how that got on with it. It's running their current beta, which does have some mkv support but that can't handle the mkv either, the screen stays blank though the network's flashing away while the play is occurring.
My other HDDVD, American Werewolf, works well using the Evodemux method, and then into VirtualDub to produce an AVI.
It would be nice if, as others have suggested, Madshi might consider a freestanding splitter. At present it would appear that Phantom is the only disk with the problem that Madshi's discovered. But I assume it may not be the last.

So, I'm just going to have to buy a super long HDMI cable so I can watch Phantom on the TV, from the HDDVD on my PC in another room!

This is a link to the first 100MB of the EVO files, which play fine in PDDVD 3319a.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6soz6c

Last edited by rory83; 28th January 2008 at 21:38.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:30   #3120  |  Link
rickardk

Just watched Million Dollar Baby. Strange result.
From time to time it plays in slow motion. It looks like when you have the refresh rate set to 23.976 and tries to play 25 fps material.

If I press pause/play everything is fine again.
If I don't pause/play it will continue to stutter until scene change or massive motion in a scene. That solves the stuttering.

I can not reproduce this problem at the same place. It shows up from time to time. And when I rewind to watch the same scene its not there.

I will try to rewrite timestamps to see if it solves it.
Should also try to remux (with this new method in v2.20) a title that played back perfect before (Bourne Ultimatum).
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to