Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 11th August 2009, 20:02   #9181  |  Link
jj666

It would be easier to do the same route as Neuron2 and make it payware.

-jj-
Old 11th August 2009, 23:38   #9182  |  Link
M-Blaster

hello I want to downmix a song from the credits of a mkv movie file.
Soundstream is 1,5 mBit DTS 5.1 with 24 bits.
I splitted the credits with mkvtoolnix.

Code:
eac3to e:\moviecredits.mkv e:\credits.flac -down2 -mixlfe
eac3to e:\moviecredits.mkv e:\credits.flac -down2
eac3to e:\moviecredits.mkv e:\credits.flac

Problem is that the classical song of the credits is ok, but when the song from the artist begins the sound is totally centered on the left.
I tried with the 3 parameters.

I don not habe arcsoft dts so that "libav" was used.
Old 12th August 2009, 00:11   #9183  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj666 View Post
It would be easier to do the same route as neuron2 and make it payware.
The donation I require is modest but it does give me an ongoing incentive to continue development and support. It doesn't earn me a fortune but it pays for my web hosting and some hardware/software purchases.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:30   #9184  |  Link
jmvh

Back to getting the best decoders for use with eac3to under Windows 7 x64...I can confirm the earlier posts that eac3to can work with the the TMT 2.0 codecs on Windows 7 x64 RTM. My PC originally had eac3to working with Nero 7 and TMT under winXP. I copied the required files from my winXP installation into the eac3to directory and used the Regserv32 command under Windows 7 x64.

All is good for DTS-MA using TMT. However, for the life of me, I can not get Nero 7 decoders to install. Despite successfully installing in my winXP, and activating with by BD/HD-DVD plugin, I can not repeat that under Win7. I've installed Nero as admin and normally, I've activiated the plug-in. But Showtime doesn't work (errors saying can't build graph on any content - DVD blu HD - and doesn't seem to recognize that BD is active since it doesn't have the BD enabled skin).

Anyone have success with Nero 7 win 7 x64 and care to share how you accomplished that feat?
Old 14th August 2009, 17:42   #9185  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvh View Post
Back to getting the best decoders for use with eac3to under Windows 7 x64...I can confirm the earlier posts that eac3to can work with the the TMT 2.0 codecs on Windows 7 x64 RTM. My PC originally had eac3to working with Nero 7 and TMT under winXP. I copied the required files from my winXP installation into the eac3to directory and used the Regserv32 command under Windows 7 x64.

All is good for DTS-MA using TMT. However, for the life of me, I can not get Nero 7 decoders to install. Despite successfully installing in my winXP, and activating with by BD/HD-DVD plugin, I can not repeat that under Win7. I've installed Nero as admin and normally, I've activiated the plug-in. But Showtime doesn't work (errors saying can't build graph on any content - DVD blu HD - and doesn't seem to recognize that BD is active since it doesn't have the BD enabled skin).

Anyone have success with Nero 7 win 7 x64 and care to share how you accomplished that feat?
How important is nero just for DD+ decoding? libavcodec will also decode DD+ by default with eac3to.

I've already ripped my HD-DVDs when my machine was vista now that it's 7 and I'll probably never rip any quantity of HD-DVDs again I'll live with libavcodec.
Old 14th August 2009, 21:56   #9186  |  Link
nurbs

libavcodecs dd+ support is not complete, but nobody ever provided sample files for the features that aren't supported so it's probably safe to assume there are no HD-DVDs that use them.
Old 15th August 2009, 02:02   #9187  |  Link
Revgen

^DD+ 7.1 audio is virtually non-existent. HD-DVD's never used it and Blu-Ray never will have it since the discs can hold up to 50gb. 7.1 audio typically uses True-HD or DTS-HD.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:27   #9188  |  Link
Fiffy

The libav E-AC3 codec does support 7.1, so that is not the problem. The concern is whether the decoder (which is still quite new) works correctly. Apparently it produces different output than the Nero codec (which is Dolby certified). Also take a look at this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145636
Old 16th August 2009, 22:08   #9189  |  Link
xxx666yyy777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post
I normally use v3.14 because latest version has some type of problem where the last line of output to stdout is not present, so my front end cannot parse certain data.

But I have also tried v3.16 and get the same issue.

Apparently, my AV receiver is highly sensitive to a TrueHD stream. Unless -keepDialnorm is used, TrueHD output is very distorted.

It is no big deal, I have dialogue normalization turned off on the AV receiver anyway.
SomeJoe - how do you turn if off? which receiver?

Thx
Old 17th August 2009, 16:20   #9190  |  Link
<><

I have retail version of Arcsoft TMT 2.0 installed on Win7 (with latest patch/update), added the bin path the path Environment Variable, but it still says that it is not installed when running the -test command....any ideas?
Old 17th August 2009, 16:41   #9191  |  Link
Revgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
The libav E-AC3 codec does support 7.1, so that is not the problem. The concern is whether the decoder (which is still quite new) works correctly. Apparently it produces different output than the Nero codec (which is Dolby certified). Also take a look at this thread:

libav does not support EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) 7.1. Only 5.1. It supports 7.1 for Dolby True-HD aka MLP.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...04#post1313704

AFAIK, there are no 7.1 EAC3 Blu-Rays or HD-DVD's. Discs that use 7.1 are usually Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.

Last edited by Revgen; 17th August 2009 at 16:45.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:48   #9192  |  Link
jruggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post

Both AC3 and E-AC3 use random noise as part of the decoding process. From the tests I have done so far, the difference between the output of libavcodec and Nero is approx. the same as the difference between using 2 different types of random number generators in the libavcodec decoder. The type of RNG used is not defined in the specification. It even says that the level of the noise, which should be 0.707, can be approximated to 0.5 and still be compliant.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:39   #9193  |  Link
RonaldoSan

I always extract the best audio track to wav (better source material, better encoding result), unfortunately some Scandinavian Blu-rays only offer the standard AC-3 track (The Departed for instance). I noticed I was getting some large wav files from those tracks (compared to TrueHD tracks).

I'm not very confident in the Scandinavian publisher, besides lacking quality audio tracks on Blu-rays, The Dark Knight has a separate AC-3 track that is exactly the same as the embedded AC-3 track.

Code:
The Dark Knight

3: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz
4: TrueHD/AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 48khz
   (embedded: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz)
Anyway, I extract the TrueHD and AC-3 tracks to wav and the output looks like this:

Code:
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
[a03] DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
[a03] Writing WAV...
--------------------------------------------------------------
[a04] Extracting audio track number 4...
[a04] Extracting TrueHD stream...
[a04] Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
[a04] Writing WAV...
--------------------------------------------------------------
AC3.wav    - 6912 kbps 7,34 GB
TrueHD.wav - 4608 kbps 4,89 GB
TrueHD is lossless and AC-3 is compressed. When you extract to wav I assume you don't loose any information, so how come the AC-3 extraction is much bigger?
Old 18th August 2009, 00:12   #9194  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoSan View Post
AC3.wav - 6912 kbps 7,34 GB
TrueHD.wav - 4608 kbps 4,89 GB[/CODE]

TrueHD is lossless and AC-3 is compressed. When you extract to wav I assume you don't loose any information, so how come the AC-3 extraction is much bigger?
You decode to wav (not extract).
This TrueHD track seems have 16 bitdepth (audio samples with 16 bits), when decode from compressed audio you obtain 24 bitdepth then the size is 24/16 = 1,5 greater.

Of course the TrueHD.wav is the exact source audio.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:24   #9195  |  Link
RonaldoSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
You decode to wav (not extract).
This TrueHD track seems have 16 bitdepth (audio samples with 16 bits), when decode from compressed audio you obtain 24 bitdepth then the size is 24/16 = 1,5 greater.

Of course the TrueHD.wav is the exact source audio.
I see. Thanks for clarification.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:57   #9196  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

I have demuxed my Harry Potter 3 HD DVD with eac3to and got a TrueHD track with a delay of 2002ms.
I got a file named: "feature_1 - 4 - TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz DELAY 2002ms.thd".
As a next step I wanted to transcode this file with eac3to into dts (using SurCode).
From what I understand eac3to first decodes this TrueHD track into several WAVE tracks and feeds them to the Surcode Encoder afterwards.
Is there a way to get rid of this delay during this process?
Old 18th August 2009, 07:58   #9197  |  Link
nurbs

Look at the first post. I assume adding +2002ms to the command line would do the trick.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:08   #9198  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
Look at the first post. I assume adding +2002ms to the command line would do the trick.
Ah thank you. I must have missed this as I looked into the command line options last night.

Why was the delay not removed during demuxing like for the E-AC3 tracks?
Old 18th August 2009, 13:03   #9199  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
Why was the delay not removed during demuxing like for the E-AC3 tracks?
I think eac3to can't apply delays to TrueHD tracks - that's why the delay is written to the file name.

However, as you're converting to DTS anyway why not go straight from the source EVOs to DTS, instead of demuxing the TrueHD track first? If you transcode then eac3to will apply the delay as needed.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:33   #9200  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
However, as you're converting to DTS anyway why not go straight from the source EVOs to DTS, instead of demuxing the TrueHD track first? If you transcode then eac3to will apply the delay as needed.
Because Nero AC3 Decoder does not allow to process more than one track at a time. That's why I first demux all the tracks I need (usually 2 E-AC3 tracks at least + TruHD) and process them afterwards.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to