Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th February 2018, 20:04   #49101  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If you can make an ICC profile you should be able to make a 3DLUT which should be an even better solution than an ICC profile.
I find your statement confusing. It's not a "better solution", it's just that some applications (Photoshop, Windows 7 photo viewer, probably Gimp) use the full contents of the ICC profile to generate a 3DLUT on the fly, while other applications (madVR) need the 3DLUT to be pregenerated in advance and manually configured. The application doesn't give you a choice, so it's pointless to say that one is better than the other.

Last edited by e-t172; 20th February 2018 at 20:12.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 22:39   #49102  |  Link
Asmodian

The 3DLUT is is a better solution, technically, than it would be if madVR used the full contents of the ICC profile.

Also what is in an ICC profile, beyond the simple 1D LUTs, varies wildly. Often they contain simple measurements that can only be used to do a rough conversion with little or no user control over how it is done. madVR's 256x256x256 3DLUT allows full control of the conversion with very fine grained corrections being possible.
Old 20th February 2018, 23:20   #49103  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
The 3DLUT is is a better solution, technically, than it would be if madVR used the full contents of the ICC profile.

Also what is in an ICC profile, beyond the simple 1D LUTs, varies wildly. Often they contain simple measurements that can only be used to do a rough conversion with little or no user control over how it is done. madVR's 256x256x256 3DLUT allows full control of the conversion with very fine grained corrections being possible.
I couldn't said it better, I totally agree.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 23:29   #49104  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
If you can make an ICC profile you should be able to make a 3DLUT which should be an even better solution than an ICC profile.
My calibration software does not have the ability to create a 3DLUTs, unfortunately
SEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 23:39   #49105  |  Link
mytbyte

@SEX: I already proposed displayCAL twice, I think
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 23:45   #49106  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
@SEX: I already proposed displayCAL twice, I think
I tried it. Does not recognize my colorimeter.
Old 21st February 2018, 00:04   #49107  |  Link
huhn

it may be possible to take the readings and create a 3D LUT with it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 00:09   #49108  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it may be possible to take the readings and create a 3D LUT with it.
I think that the DisplayCAL can't do this
Old 21st February 2018, 00:30   #49109  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEX View Post
My calibration software does not have the ability to create a 3DLUTs, unfortunately
ArgyllCMS can (at least in principle) generate a 3DLUT from any ICC profile using the collink -3m command. See the documentation, especially the section about madVR at the end of the section.

Last edited by e-t172; 21st February 2018 at 00:33.
Old 21st February 2018, 01:00   #49110  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
ArgyllCMS can (at least in principle) generate a 3DLUT from any ICC profile using the collink -3m command. See the documentation, especially the section about madVR at the end of the section.
This information would be useful in the madVR's help. It's terrible to imagine how many people see not flawless colors
Old 21st February 2018, 01:13   #49111  |  Link
huhn

why? windows can load icc files too. they are generally of bad quality but...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 01:25   #49112  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
This information would be useful in the madVR's help. It's terrible to imagine how many people see not flawless colors
Most people do not have a colorimeter or even know what a gamut is to begin with, so while I do agree with you in principle, I think you are mistaken about people's priorities

Quote:
Windows cannot "load" ICC files, per se - or at the very least it would be quite misleading to say so. It can load the vcgt (GPU gamma ramps) that's within an ICC file (and even then, only if you tick the right checkbox), but that's only a small part of the data contained within the profile, and it can only be used for basic gamma and white point adjustment - not for gamut mapping. It's the responsibility of each individual application (e.g. Photoshop) to load the full profile and come up with a proper color space transformation.

Last edited by e-t172; 21st February 2018 at 01:29.
Old 21st February 2018, 01:32   #49113  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Сonfusion with the purpose of the settings in the madVR, especially "disable calibration controls for this display" and "this display is aleready calibrated" does not give an idea of the actual situation
Old 21st February 2018, 01:44   #49114  |  Link
Asmodian

Hmm, pehaps we are too close to it but the "disable GPU gamma ramps" should clue you in if you understand how calibration works in Windows. Those options are designed for those who are familiar with Windows calibration because they are the only ones who ask for the feature at all.

It can be very difficult to come up with short descriptions that are clear to everyone. With the knowledge that madVR does not reference ICC profiles everything else should be clear. Please check out the link in my signature and let me know if anything does not make sense to you.
Quote:
I tried it. Does not recognize my colorimeter.
Does it not? DisplayCal supports the common meters, X-rite or Spyder. Which meter are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
That doesn't support a lot of possible ICC profiles, I couldn't get it to work using ICC profiles created by X-rite's i1Profiler.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st February 2018 at 01:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 02:08   #49115  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Hmm, pehaps we are too close to it but the "disable GPU gamma ramps" should clue you in if you understand how calibration works in Windows. Those options are designed for those who are familiar with Windows calibration because they are the only ones who ask for the feature at all.

It can be very difficult to come up with short descriptions that are clear to everyone. With the knowledge that madVR does not reference ICC profiles everything else should be clear. Please check out the link in my signature and let me know if anything does not make sense to you.

Does it not? DisplayCal supports the common meters, X-rite or Spyder. Which meter are you using?

That doesn't support a lot of possible ICC profiles, I couldn't get it to work using ICC profiles created by X-rite's i1Profiler.
Just based on madVR options, there can be a persistent feeling that it will use the ICC profile, simply as EVR do. I think that the warning that this is not so, will be useful.

I use NEC MDSVSENSOR
Old 21st February 2018, 02:16   #49116  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Personally I think it would be nice if madVR could load say LCMS as an external dll or something and generate its 3DLUTs on the fly from the monitor's ICC profile for each target color space. The resulting 3DLUTs (which could be cached somewhere) would presumably be of somewhat lower quality than using ArgyllCMS' collink, but I think it would significantly increase the number of people receiving color correction (even if they did still have to download LCMS separately due to licensing or whatever).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 02:51   #49117  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Just based on madVR options, there can be a persistent feeling that it will use the ICC profile, simply as EVR do.
Wow, EVR uses an ICC profile in Windows 10 now? That is new and great news, it is almost weird having Windows finally support color management. I remember recently thumbnails started being corrected but Windows assumed you had an sRGB display so it would convert anything tagged something besides sRGB to your profile as if your profile was sRGB (counter productive on my DCI-P3 displays). I need to do more experimentation with 1607.
Old 21st February 2018, 03:02   #49118  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Wow, EVR uses an ICC profile in Windows 10 now? That is new and great news, it is almost weird having Windows finally support color management. I remember recently thumbnails started being corrected but Windows assumed you had an sRGB display so it would convert anything tagged something besides sRGB to your profile as if your profile was sRGB (counter productive on my DCI-P3 displays). I need to do more experimentation with 1607.
No. If I use the "Use Display ICC Color Gamut Correction" in the PotPlayer, then the colors match in the PotPlayer, but only for EVR, does not work for madVR
Old 21st February 2018, 03:05   #49119  |  Link
SEX
system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Personally I think it would be nice if madVR could load say LCMS as an external dll or something and generate its 3DLUTs on the fly from the monitor's ICC profile for each target color space. The resulting 3DLUTs (which could be cached somewhere) would presumably be of somewhat lower quality than using ArgyllCMS' collink, but I think it would significantly increase the number of people receiving color correction (even if they did still have to download LCMS separately due to licensing or whatever).
It would be fantastic!
Old 21st February 2018, 03:19   #49120  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
No. If I use the "Use Display ICC Color Gamut Correction" in the PotPlayer, then the colors match in the PotPlayer, but only for EVR, does not work for madVR
Ah, it is just PotPlayer hacks then.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling