Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2010, 17:28   #2401  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I don't think I can afford the hourly rate of a professional coder on my own..and madshi already said that he didn't plan on making mVR shareware anytime soon. The waiting game continues
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:20   #2402  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I don't think I can afford the hourly rate of a professional coder on my own..and madshi already said that he didn't plan on making mVR shareware anytime soon. The waiting game continues
You can pm madshi and talk about an amount you could "donate" to him.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:36   #2403  |  Link
allak

Quote:
An end-user shouldn't care less whether free software is GPL...that's none of his business IMHO

[....]

Reclock and madVR are essential pieces of code in my book
Just my two ecents: I'd say that we can all assume that MPC-HC and ffdshow are another two essential pieces of code in many people book, and maybe even yours, correct ?

Well, both are project that have been created by someone, then abandoned, then picked up by someone else with the will and the skills to bring them forward.

If they had not been under the GPL or another opensource license that would not have been possible, and the "end-user" would be stuck with a 3/4 years old program, with old bugs, new incompatibilities, and no recent features - or more probably he would have switched to something else.

Now, Madshi is an very skilled developer. What he chooses to do with is time and is ability is obviously his choice, and I am quite grateful for what he has chosen to donate so far to other people. In no way I am saying that he has to opensource madVR. This, again, is completely is choice.

Moreover it is also quite possible that, should he opensource it, nobody else will pick it up and start adding features or bugfixes.

But I know one this: sooner or later he will lose the motivation to work on MadVR, and, if he will not opensource it, it will stagnate, and in time become irrelevant. But if he will, there is at least the possibility that it will continue to evolve, as MPC/MPC-HC and ffdshow have done.
allak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:03   #2404  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR 0.12 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* rewrite of about 75% of the code
* loads of bug fixes
* improvements for DVD playback (macrovision complaints etc)
* improvements for frame stepping during paused playback
* re-added rendering stats to OSD
I hope that v0.12 will still do all that v0.11 did, just without all the stability problems. I've noticed, though, that on my NVidia 9400 HTPC, v0.12 was a tiny bit more GPU hungry than v0.11. Hopefully that won't affect things with faster GPUs.

Please note that since v0.12 is basically a rewrite, there may be some new bugs. That is to be expected, but should be fixable quickly.

Can anybody tell me all the nasty details about subtitle rendering? What exactly does madVR have to do to be fully subtitle capable? I've no knowledge in this area...

Last edited by madshi; 3rd May 2010 at 12:05.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:17   #2405  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yay, will look into it and report back!
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:28   #2406  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thanks for the update, have been looking forward to it!

Will test it when i get home and report back any potential problems (if any)!
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:08   #2407  |  Link
chuuey

sweet, thanks for the update works fine on my work machine with a 5870, can anyone test 24hz output with this version since i won't be home till friday
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:43   #2408  |  Link
Mike5

Tested on a DVD from disc. It still gives DVD: Macrovision Fail.

I don't have a DVD ripped on disk at work.
Mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:50   #2409  |  Link
noee

Some quick observations....MPC-HC, HD2600XT CCC10.3, Playback of SD material (mkv/avc)

Aero ON, w/reclock (vsynch off), 24Hz no tearing. If I turn Aero OFF, tearing is present.

With .11, I was using Lanczos4 (up) and SoftCubic100. With .12, it appears Lanczos is now too resource hungry for playback (jumpy), but Spline36 appears to work better (chroma=SoftCubic80).

Will keep playing around and will get to some HD source material next.

Thanks for the update to this fantastic renderer, regardless of the "issues" as the tool progresses, I always find myself going back to madVR.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:17   #2410  |  Link
torpedo

New version 0.12 comes! madshi, Thx for your great work!
torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:56   #2411  |  Link
namaiki

Bloody brilliant so far. Rock stable. I haven't had to kill my media player once.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:56   #2412  |  Link
fastplayer

Bug in 0.12?

madVR uses 50% CPU of my dual-core when pausing a video. Unfortunately, it happens randomly and is not easily reproducible. So far it happened with MP4 and MKV files. Once playback continues, CPU load drops to normal levels. Here's a screenshot of Process Explorer:
http://i40.tinypic.com/nvt9ub.png

Edit: Even when the video is paused and the CPU is idling, CPU load randomly goes up to 50%.
Edit2: I created a dump file. I can upload it if necessary.

Setup:
Athlon64 X2 3800+
Radeon HD4670
Windows 7 32-bit
Haali Media Splitter 1.10.120.15
ffdshow rev3370
MPC-HC rev1825

Last edited by fastplayer; 3rd May 2010 at 16:15.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:22   #2413  |  Link
flanger216

Can confirm that 0.12 works with the latest nVidia drivers.
flanger216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:31   #2414  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanger216 View Post
Just clarifying, but were you one of the people who was experiencing issues before?
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:57   #2415  |  Link
Steveo08

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanger216 View Post

well madvr 0.12 isen't working for me on my gt 220 and latest nvidia driver.
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:58   #2416  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
madVR uses 50% CPU of my dual-core when pausing a video. Unfortunately, it happens randomly and is not easily reproducible.
ditto, I've sometimes had a frozen core while pausing(on a Q9450/8800GS/XP SP3).

OTOH, no freeze on seek/close, everything works fine...so far, no error msg in the event viewer when closing KMP either.

catching the VSYNC fliptime properly w/ KMP+Reclock in 96hz is still a hit or miss, but you said D3D exclusive mode might be the only solution to this? FWIW, Beliyaal's EVR CP always seems to catch it spot-on IME. I really wish mVR could be as bullet-proof as his EVR CP(in windowed mode) for this last issue, if any possible

Last edited by leeperry; 3rd May 2010 at 17:05.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:10   #2417  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
ditto, I've sometimes had a frozen core while pausing(on a Q9450/8800GS/XP SP3).

OTOH, no freeze on seek/close, everything works fine...so far, no error msg in the event viewer when closing KMP either.

catching the VSYNC fliptime properly w/ KMP+Reclock in 96hz is still a hit or miss, but you said D3D exclusive mode might be the only solution to this? FWIW, Beliyaal's EVR CP always seems to catch it spot-on IME. I really wish mVR could be as bullet-proof as his EVR CP(in windowed mode) for this last issue, if any possible
Try disable ReClock vsync correction. Though you're not running Aero.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:18   #2418  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
Tested on a DVD from disc. It still gives DVD: Macrovision Fail.
Argh. Which exact OS are you on? Does the problem only occur with madVR? Does it work with all other renderers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
With .11, I was using Lanczos4 (up) and SoftCubic100. With .12, it appears Lanczos is now too resource hungry for playback (jumpy), but Spline36 appears to work better (chroma=SoftCubic80).
I might have an idea why v0.12 is a bit more GPU hungry. Might be able to revert that to v0.11 levels in the next version. Or not, we'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Bloody brilliant so far. Rock stable. I haven't had to kill my media player once.
How about smooth motion? Is it still as smooth as v0.11 for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
madVR uses 50% CPU of my dual-core when pausing a video.
Does that problem only occur during pause? If so, I think a fix should be easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo08 View Post
well madvr 0.12 isen't working for me on my gt 220 and latest nvidia driver.
What happens exactly when you try to play a video with v0.12? Do you get a crash? Or a freeze? Or something else?

Quote:
catching the VSYNC fliptime properly w/ KMP+Reclock in 96hz is still a hit or miss, but you said D3D exclusive mode might be the only solution to this?
I don't know for sure. I still don't know what the exact issue is to start with. But I do have some future improvements in store, even for windowed mode. Anyway, have you only tested stability with v0.12? Or did you also test whether playback is still as smooth as v0.11?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:20   #2419  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does that problem only occur during pause? If so, I think a fix should be easy...
Yep, at least so far. Sometimes a simple maximizing resp. minimizing of MPC triggers it.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:25   #2420  |  Link
JarrettH

Do you still think SoftCubic is still the best looking one madshi? There's just so many choices

Thank you for 0.12

Last edited by JarrettH; 3rd May 2010 at 17:38.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling