Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 10th May 2022, 12:40   #21  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcodem View Post
You ever tried avid?
LMAO.
I can relate so much here at work every day, it's one of the most bugged system ever xD
Still, like it or not, at work we have the whole infrastructure based on the AVID environment, so it comes in handy to have AVID Media Composer work with Interplay Access, Mediacentral etc. In a way or another, I got used to AVID, so it would be nice to have a Linux version of the Media Composer too instead of having it for Windows and OSX only.
I gotta give credit to the Blackmagic guys on this, 'cause they made Davinci work with Linux and they cared about the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
It can't even get through setup because it keeps crashing to desktop.
Davinci needs specific hardware acceleration with the GPU, otherwise it's not gonna work. If you have an integrated Intel GPU (within the CPU), for instance, it won't work. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, then good luck with that 'cause it won't work with the Nouveau drivers and you're gonna need to use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers with all the bugs they have and you need a specific kernel version 'cause they won't work with every kernel but only with those tested by NVIDIA engineers themselves, given that they're closed source (the drivers, that is), unlike Intel and AMD ones.
Ah and if you're on Wayland, it won't work, you need X11 with Xorg.
Love it or hate it, Linux is not an OS for everyday's people; you need to know its peculiarities and get used to them and overcome the issues it has. If you have time and will, everything is gonna work, otherwise if you just want something that boots and works, Linux is not the OS for you.
I've been using Fedora on a daily basis since Fedora 25 (I'm now on Fedora 35).

Last edited by FranceBB; 10th May 2022 at 12:43.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 09:41   #22  |  Link
binaryflow

Why not using Linux native software instead? What do you people need video editors for?
binaryflow is offline   Reply With Quote