Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 15th June 2004, 03:54   #1  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Avisynth.org hacked

I've put up a temporary page while I restore things, but in case you guys know anything about the script kiddie underground the name of the group was "daemonoptik."
Old 15th June 2004, 22:32   #2  |  Link
Longinus

Yes... and they are from Brazil, just like me. But I have no idead who they are, and I never heard of this group. Brazil have a lot of defacements hackers... I don't know why.

[EDIT] I just noticed warpenterprise is still with the msg..
http://www.avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

If anyone is wondering what is says..

"DaemonOptik Still Alive.... Estamos só temporariamente parados por problemas pessoais do grupo ... Mas em breve voltaremos a ativa"

"DaemonOptik Still Alive.... We are only temporarily inactive because of personal group problems... but soon we'll be back in action"

Last edited by Longinus; 15th June 2004 at 22:35.
Old 16th June 2004, 04:08   #3  |  Link
sh03z
the encodenator

u need to patch your server =0

or avisynth does
Old 16th June 2004, 06:13   #4  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Tell me about it. What do I pay these incompetent retards for if not to keep their security fixes up to date? If you want to complain, go here.
Old 16th June 2004, 06:18   #5  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

Reward for prosecution of the defacers

To whomever defaced the site:

I hope you got your rocks of. I'm offering a reward of a 52x cd burner and $50 American dollars for whoever turns you in. I have a friend at the U.S. Dept. of Justice and the State Department who will make sure the American Embassy in Brazil gets your sorry ass prosecuted. You need to find something better to do with your time, like stepping in to oncoming busses for fun. Any of us with the intelligence to rip a dvd could deface hundreds of wiki sites. You are a waste of our oxygen and should be blamed for excess CO2 output, global warming, and the green house effect. In other words, the world would be a much better place without you.

To whomever knows the little shit who did this, email me at william at techwill.net upon procution of these little thugs I will mail an ASUS 52x cd burner and $50 USD cash. I'll make sure that this matter is taken care of.

When wrestling alligators the gator only has to win once.
Read my Adventures In HDTV Capture Blog.
Old 16th June 2004, 06:35   #6  |  Link
sh03z
the encodenator

removed... =P

Last edited by sh03z; 16th June 2004 at 17:10.
Old 16th June 2004, 09:07   #7  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

You know, I never really thought about the irony of hacking a server that hosts a completely open wiki. Hah.

Anyway, a quick Google reveals that these people defaced almost 1000 Linux-based websites in the last couple days -- at least it's nothing personal. I do think it would be healthy for some of these kiddies to see what a Brazilian prison cell looks like up close.
Old 16th June 2004, 10:02   #8  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

A Brazillian prison doesn't sound like any place I'd want to visit.

Old 16th June 2004, 18:04   #9  |  Link
Amnon82
Paldo-GNU/LinuxMaintainer

This shows also that linux isn't so secure as it sounds ...
Old 16th June 2004, 19:01   #10  |  Link
CraigBjorn

I don't think it neccesarily shows that Linux is insecure. Of course like all OSes it has it's insecurites, but not as many that go unfixed like M$. Rather I think it shows how many people use Linux for their servers.
Old 16th June 2004, 19:38   #11  |  Link
Longinus

I agree with CraigBjorn... if you look at the stats, FreeBSD will be the less hacked of all... .BUT you have very few of those servers around... Most of them are linux... so you get more hacks. Anyhow, linux servers are very vunerable too... you should keep it patched all the time, and admins sometimes don't care about this ("ooo it's linux, it's safe").. A shame really... but what can you do..

And for the prison cell... They wouldn't go to jail.. I haven't heard a single case of a hacker (that dind't steal money) go to jail. Especially when they are hacking a server in another country. It's very hard to track them down, because you would need cooperatition of many different people and companies.

And as Richard pointed out, a google search shows that they are a big defeacement group... if someone would cautght them, they would do this before..

One of my servers was hacked once, I restored, patched, and that is it... You can't do more than that...
Old 16th June 2004, 20:50   #12  |  Link
sh03z
the encodenator

I actually need some stuff from avisynth.org =0

anyone know when it's coming back online?
Old 16th June 2004, 21:31   #13  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Re: Reward for prosecution of the defacers

Quote:
Originally posted by smokeslikeapoet
I hope you got your rocks of. I'm offering a reward of a 52x cd burner and $50 American dollars for whoever turns you in. I have a friend at the U.S. Dept. of Justice and the State Department who will make sure the American Embassy in Brazil gets your sorry ass prosecuted.
Rant all you want. Laws dealing with virtual crime are still nearly non-existant here.

Even if you find the responsibe, the most that could happen to him is a police officer paying a visit to his parents and recommending they control what their son does on the internet.

An no, there's not a chance in hell of him going to a prision. If he is underage (most probable), the chances are smaller than 0.

Besides, I really doubt the american embassy here would bother to seek legal revenge after a script kiddie. They have more important "criminals" to worry about, like drug smugglers and murderers.

Quote:
To whomever knows the little shit who did this, email me at william at techwill.net upon procution of these little thugs I will mail an ASUS 52x cd burner and $50 USD cash. I'll make sure that this matter is taken care of.
You simply won't see any prosecution, so you can safely keep your CD burner and cash.

Regards;

Roberto.
Old 16th June 2004, 22:03   #14  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

You would be suprised a the power the American consulate has in foriegn countries. After my sister and her husband were run down by a motorist in the Bahamas, the American counsulate forced the local government to procecute the reckless driver. Now that cracking websites is considered to by cyberterror by the U.S. goverment, I would be very suprised if they just shrugged it off. I'm still waiting for word back from a friend that works for the federal courts here in the U.S. to tell me what he thinks about it.

The best I can hope for is for one of this punk's friends to get greedy for some cash and turn him in. I'm not sure but I think $50 USD isn't spare change for a teenager in Brazil.

@sh03z

If it's a filter you need, I may have it in my collection reply or p.m. me.

Last edited by smokeslikeapoet; 16th June 2004 at 22:06.
Old 16th June 2004, 23:15   #15  |  Link
Sharro@Home

Quote:
...I think $50 USD isn't spare change for a teenager in Brazil....
For 1.000 USD U might get someone killed... that's like 850,00 € we might gather that here....

All the best.

Sharro
@Home
Old 17th June 2004, 01:46   #16  |  Link
morsa
the dumbest

well, you can get someone killed for 300 dollars also.
And to the American people here, I'm not trying to offend anybody, forget about it cause the Brazilian guys here are right.American Embassies don't have so much power to find common criminals...
Old 17th June 2004, 05:17   #17  |  Link
Longinus

I don't want to turn this into something it's not, but....

Sorry to say you that smokeslikeapoet, but the American Consulate can't force anything here.. And if you look into the topic with little more care, you will notice that it's not so easy as you think, anywhere... If the american president himself said something, I agree... but not a single american consulate guy, that won't even know how to charge this kiddies..

And 50 bucks is about R$(reais) 156,45. A big mac here is about 5,40 reais. Do the math...
Old 17th June 2004, 06:06   #18  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
[B]You would be suprised a the power the American consulate has in foriegn countries. After my sister and her husband were run down by a motorist in the Bahamas, the American counsulate forced the local government to procecute the reckless driver. Now that cracking websites is considered to by cyberterror by the U.S. goverment, I would be very suprised if they just shrugged it off. I'm still waiting for word back from a friend that works for the federal courts here in the U.S. to tell me what he thinks about it.
I think it's useless.

Even if the consulate cares enough to prosecute a hacker, there are several problems. For instance, gathering proofs is very difficult.

Also, it doesn't matter if cybercrime is considered terror or whatever at US. The guy is on brazilian soil, and commited the act while on brazilian soil - no matter if the server was in american soil, so he has to adhere to brazilian laws - that are vague at best about cyber crime. Or you hope to get him extradicted to the US to be judged under american law? hehehe

The case with your sister is that running down someone is a crime pretty much anywhere. Defacement isn't a crime here.

Quote:
The best I can hope for is for one of this punk's friends to get greedy for some cash and turn him in. I'm not sure but I think $50 USD isn't spare change for a teenager in Brazil.
Useless. Even if he turns him in, he won't serve as eyewitness unless if he was actually present at the time the hacker broke into avisynth.org. "He later told me he did it" has absolutely 0 value in brazilian courts. Server logs have no value either because they can be easily altered before being sent to court as proof.

Now, let's be realistic: big sites are defaced each day, and the culprits are never caught. Sometimes the companies behinds these sites offer loads of money searching for leads, and end up empty handed. So, what do you expect to attain with your 50 bucks, CD burner and your allmighty connections at the DoJ or whatever? There's a strong sense of community among these groups, and I'm pretty confident one of the members won't turn in another, even because that same member would be eventually turned in later.

Quote:
Sorry to say you that smokeslikeapoet, but the American Consulate can't force anything here.. And if you look into the topic with little more care, you will notice that it's not so easy as you think, anywhere... If the american president himself said something, I agree... but not a single american consulate guy, that won't even know how to charge this kiddies..
Ditto. Consulates trying to "force" something here would be considered an attack at our sovereignty and would start a diplomatic conflict. Now, would they want to do it in exchange of a CD burner and 50 dollars, because of some supposedly well-positioned DoJ guy? teeheehee

Regards;

Me.

Last edited by rjamorim; 17th June 2004 at 06:13.
Old 17th June 2004, 08:51   #19  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

I realize I'm trying to fight and uphill battle. But if I can cause this little ****** a headache and maybe get him a little scared, he will think twice before he does it again. I'm sure he as an aptitude for programming but he would do much better putting his skills towards something constructive. I don't want to have him killed. I think the punishment should fit the crime, always. He's caused a lot of us an inconvienience. And I think I should at least inconvienience him a little.

On a positive note. When I was in tech school, a schoolmate of mine found himself in the same predicament. As a peer/mentor, I encouraged him to put his skills toward constructive work. He's entering Purdue University this Fall majoring in C.S. I think my influence, but more so his procecution and incarceration was a "wake-up call" for him to get his act together and become a productive member of the programming community.

There is no honor in website defacement. The most respected members of our community use their programming skills to help others, like the developers of GKnot, AviSynth, Virtualdub and it's derivatives. Hacking, Cracking, and Piracy get no long term glory, and this little incident will be forgotten about a month from now.

Last edited by Guest; 17th June 2004 at 13:19.
Old 21st June 2004, 09:53   #20  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

The site is back. Sorry for the long delay...ISP was (is) a real pain. While I was waiting I added some simple Apache rewriting so the URLs should be easier to type now (old links still work).

Thanks for the support guys but it is way way off topic. This can be locked now.
Closed Thread