Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2006, 20:30   #421  |  Link
zemog

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi
Should be doable, I'll add it to my todo list. One question - when you right-click an unselected tab, do you expect the tab to become selected or not?
Yes I think unselected tab should become selected if it is possible. If not, right-click context menu only for active tab would be enough
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 21:21   #422  |  Link
krisq

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
(Out of curiosity, how to you plan on 'tabbing' text?)
I don't use 'Tab' in scripts at all. They are pretty simple so I don't need to indent the lines. I prefer fast focus switch and it's a perfect key for me to do that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemog View Post
Yes I think unselected tab should become selected if it is possible. If not, right-click context menu only for active tab would be enough
Are you sure it's supposed to become selected? In any tabbed software I use (Maxthon, Total Commander) the tab after right-click doesn't get selected, only the context menu is displayed for that tab. Or am I missing something?
This behavior should be consistent with other apps IMHO...

Last edited by krisq; 8th November 2006 at 21:41.
krisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 21:42   #423  |  Link
Alain2

Quote:
As far as a 10 sec jump, we'll see, perhaps I'll add a custom jump size command which you can specify the size in seconds or frames from the options dialog.
Personnaly I like aving different seek speeds available at the same time, I use the 1frame/1sec/1min speeds all the time, it's just that between 1 sec and 1min it is a big différential step, which shows up more for me than between 1frame/1sec. I actually really like to have these different speeds all at hand, I think it's better than having a setting to keep changing if we want to change seek speed (could even do with 15 mins / 1 hour step sizes ^^)

Quote:
(Out of curiosity, how to you plan on 'tabbing' text? I suppose it's not used very often in Avisynth such that you could use menu commands...)
Tab is quite useful for me actually in some of my avisynth scripts, or look at Didée's scripts, readability is really improved with proper tabbing (Of course I also use all the time the constant width font option)
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:25   #424  |  Link
jmac698

Urgent bug: can't run my avsp anymore.
I ran a script that causes avisynth to crash, and left the preview window on. Now if I load avsp, it instantly exits.
The script in virtualdubmod also makes that app exit. This shouldn't be happening in any of those programs.
Another bug is that I saved my script and it always came back with the old one. Saving a script should always write the file. I had to paste it to notepad in order to save it. Is there a bug in saving the preview.avs and reusing it?
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 18:02   #425  |  Link
ncatt

Hi, is not "bug" in AvsP, is (most presumable) incompatible or bug plugins in your avisynth plugins folder. Troubleshoot this problem first. Otherwise, kudos to the AvsP author!!! Is one wonderful little piece of software, very very useful. PS: I had many problems with sse3 plugins, try replace to sse2 versions (My cpu is C2C E6600)
ncatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 22:05   #426  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

You can delete _last_session.ses in the avsp folder, or modify it to remove/change the offending script, if it really happens to be a script problem. Does sound like a plugin problem though.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 22:07   #427  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Are you sure it's supposed to become selected? In any tabbed software I use (Maxthon, Total Commander) the tab after right-click doesn't get selected, only the context menu is displayed for that tab. Or am I missing something?
This behavior should be consistent with other apps IMHO...
The reason I ask is because I've seen it both ways (Firefox and other web browsers don't select, MS Excel and some text editors do select). In AvsP selecting the tab would cause the video preview to refresh, which can be a good or bad thing when right-clicking a tab. I guess I'll make it an option just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2 View Post
Personnaly I like aving different seek speeds available at the same time, I use the 1frame/1sec/1min speeds all the time, it's just that between 1 sec and 1min it is a big différential step, which shows up more for me than between 1frame/1sec. I actually really like to have these different speeds all at hand, I think it's better than having a setting to keep changing if we want to change seek speed (could even do with 15 mins / 1 hour step sizes ^^)
Yep, I like the second and minute jumping myself, it's a lot more meaningful than jumping by a certain number of frames, I'm not sure how unique it is but I think it's one of the more important aspects of AvsP. What I'll do is add two more jump commands, "Forward x seconds" and "Backward x seconds", where x will be set from the options dialog, in units of either frames or seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
Urgent bug: can't run my avsp anymore.
I ran a script that causes avisynth to crash, and left the preview window on. Now if I load avsp, it instantly exits.
The script in virtualdubmod also makes that app exit. This shouldn't be happening in any of those programs.
Another bug is that I saved my script and it always came back with the old one. Saving a script should always write the file. I had to paste it to notepad in order to save it. Is there a bug in saving the preview.avs and reusing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatt View Post
Hi, is not "bug" in AvsP, is (most presumable) incompatible or bug plugins in your avisynth plugins folder. Troubleshoot this problem first. Otherwise, kudos to the AvsP author!!! Is one wonderful little piece of software, very very useful. PS: I had many problems with sse3 plugins, try replace to sse2 versions (My cpu is C2C E6600)
ncatt is right, if virtualdub is crashing as well then it's most likely a bad plugin in your script. In order to run AvsP without crashing, delete the "_last_session_.ses" file in the AvsP directory (this session stored the fact that the video preview should be viewed on startup). Oh, and thanks for the kudos ncatt, glad you find the program to be useful.

Edit: foxyshadis beat me to it

Last edited by qwerpoi; 9th November 2006 at 22:12.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 22:22   #428  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naito View Post
In my workflow, at first I do this. But many times I decrease max-value and overlook, that the default value ist not between min and max. It's not realy necessary, but it will take the job easier. I realy like the sliders
Ah, I see what you mean, I didn't consider the fact that you would go back and redefine the min/max values. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naito View Post
Just another Bug:
If I use "Backup current session" [Alt+B] in a current session, close AvsP, open AvsP and use "Load session" [Alt+O] on the session, I get this error:

But if I use "Safe session" [Alt+S], close AvsP, open AvsP and use "Load session" [Alt+O], it still works. Maybe AvsP didn't safed correct the current session.

EDIT1: Sorry, I mistake "Backup current session" and "Safe session". Now it ist right. (Translation problem)

EDIT2: It works, if there is no AVS-File with the same name as the SES-File (and I don't save as AVS).
Interesting, thanks for the bug report, I'll try and figure out what's going on.
Old 9th November 2006, 23:01   #429  |  Link
Zarxrax

I have a suggestion that I think would be really useful. I don't think I see this kind of functionality present in AvsP yet, but let me know if I have just missed it.

It would be really nice if there was an easy way to select frame ranges for trim, applyrange, etc. My suggestion to handle it is like this: Allow users to specify an in-point by pressing something like alt+[, and then an out-point by pressing alt+]. Once both an in and out point are selected, have a little popup for the user to choose from things to do with that selection of frames. One such option would be a regular Trim, to leave only the section between the frames you selected. Another option could be an inverse trim--it would REMOVE the frames you selected, leaving the sections around it (by adding 2 trim commands). There could also be options for applyrange, and other commands that use a range of frames. This would allow to quickly and easily make simple edits to the video.

And additionally, one other minor thing: when you create a new script, then go to save it the first time, would it be possible to fill in the default filename to be the same as the first input source in your script, except with an avs extension?

Last edited by Zarxrax; 9th November 2006 at 23:20.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 00:51   #430  |  Link
jmac698

ncatt: thanks for the tip, that cured it. It was logotools.dll, an avisynth 2.0 plugin, loaded with loadpluginex(), the crash is caused by not using yuy2.
You could help by noting a crash and automatically disabling preview on the next session, this would be very easy.
All: I second the suggestion, I would find it acceptable to save scripts according to the source name, as that is a frequent use. I would also like a save script icon for quick saving, I tend to debug and save at every working step.
Old 10th November 2006, 01:21   #431  |  Link
Alain2

Quote:
I would also like a save script icon for quick saving, I tend to debug and save at every working step.
CTRL+S... much faster than pointing on an icon...
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 05:22   #432  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
It would be really nice if there was an easy way to select frame ranges for trim, applyrange, etc. My suggestion to handle it is like this: Allow users to specify an in-point by pressing something like alt+[, and then an out-point by pressing alt+]. Once both an in and out point are selected, have a little popup for the user to choose from things to do with that selection of frames. One such option would be a regular Trim, to leave only the section between the frames you selected. Another option could be an inverse trim--it would REMOVE the frames you selected, leaving the sections around it (by adding 2 trim commands). There could also be options for applyrange, and other commands that use a range of frames. This would allow to quickly and easily make simple edits to the video.
The inverse trim functionality is already there (works with multiple range selections), in the right-click menu "Insert bookmark trims", using any bookmarks you have set (read more about it here). But this is more or less a hack I put together by request to provide similar functionality with vdubmod's script editor. I agree that a more general framework with frame selections would be useful, I'll add it to my todo list and give it some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
And additionally, one other minor thing: when you create a new script, then go to save it the first time, would it be possible to fill in the default filename to be the same as the first input source in your script, except with an avs extension?
Should be doable, I'll try to have it in the next release.

Quote:
ncatt: thanks for the tip, that cured it. It was logotools.dll, an avisynth 2.0 plugin, loaded with loadpluginex(), the crash is caused by not using yuy2.
You could help by noting a crash and automatically disabling preview on the next session, this would be very easy.
It's not necessarily "very easy", if the program could detect the hard crash it would be possible to prevent closing it in the first place. But you do bring up a good point, and there should be a workaround, so I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
I would also like a save script icon for quick saving, I tend to debug and save at every working step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2 View Post
CTRL+S... much faster than pointing on an icon...
I agree with Alain2, mostly because I don't like toolbars . You can customize the save keyboard shortcut to whatever you please, so I imagine that's the fastest way.

@krisq
I tested using 'Tab' as the shortcut to switch between the windows, and I noticed that hitting 'Tab' in the script window switches to the video window, but adds a tab into the text first. I'll try and find a way around this, but I was just curious if this was happening to you as well.
Old 10th November 2006, 10:24   #433  |  Link
krisq

Quote:
@krisq
I tested using 'Tab' as the shortcut to switch between the windows, and I noticed that hitting 'Tab' in the script window switches to the video window, but adds a tab into the text first. I'll try and find a way around this, but I was just curious if this was happening to you as well.
Yep, same here. I didn't mentioned it because...well... because I didn't .
Old 11th November 2006, 03:59   #434  |  Link
jmac698

qwerpoi: ok, ctrl-s is acceptable, though I have to get in the habit of this. Doing something about the crash would be great.
Requests: Select, Region, select rectangular region, Copy, Paste Special, Region as Crop command, as letterbox command.
Select, Pixel, primary-click pixel,Copy, Paste Special, Pixel as RGB Hex, as YUV
also, change Select to Select Source, and Select destination, then add paste as Tweak(), as Resize().

I recommend these, as they are very visual operations, and certainly no program allows you to visually measure or tweak colors (as YUV at least). Read the colors from the codec output colorspace and convert to the other colorspace, could even be lazy and insert script to do this.

Last edited by jmac698; 11th November 2006 at 04:16.
Old 11th November 2006, 04:20   #435  |  Link
jmac698

as far as GUI operation questions, there are two standards for this, gnome user interface, http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/
windows interface, http://msdn.microsoft.com/ui/, or just look at how Office reacts. Don't worry, there is room for custom operation, but new users are best served by a set of standard GUI controls.
Old 11th November 2006, 11:38   #436  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
qwerpoi: ok, ctrl-s is acceptable, though I have to get in the habit of this. Doing something about the crash would be great.
Requests: Select, Region, select rectangular region, Copy, Paste Special, Region as Crop command, as letterbox command.
Select, Pixel, primary-click pixel,Copy, Paste Special, Pixel as RGB Hex, as YUV
also, change Select to Select Source, and Select destination, then add paste as Tweak(), as Resize().

I recommend these, as they are very visual operations, and certainly no program allows you to visually measure or tweak colors (as YUV at least). Read the colors from the codec output colorspace and convert to the other colorspace, could even be lazy and insert script to do this.
qwerpoi, I had a thought on one way of doing this. If you wanted to be able to "instantly" view any changes in sliders, without the long delay of reloading avisynth when one changes, you could behind the scenes save off a temp snapshot of the output, load into into a new script with only the current operation(s) using imagesource. That way it'd be nearly instantaneous, I assume (or is there significant overhead just from loading avisynth?). I guess I could test this out myself.

It'd only work for testing the final operation(s), at least without even more magic, though.

There might be a way to do this entirely in script, I'll look into it.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 21:39   #437  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
I implemented a workaround for the crash on startup, it will be in the next release (which will hopefully be out sometime after the weekend).

Quote:

I guess I don't fully understand your request. There already exists a crop editor to paste a Crop() command based on a selected area. I don't follow exactly what you mean by copying pixels and tweaking colors. It sounds like you want a color picker that works in RGB or YUV, but I'm not sure how you can use that info in avisynth. You can already tweak colors using a script with Tweak() and user sliders, if you want to tweak individual pixels or regions that would be a bit more involved. Again, if I'm misunderstanding something, let me know.

Quote:
as far as GUI operation questions, there are two standards for this, gnome user interface, http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/
windows interface, http://msdn.microsoft.com/ui/, or just look at how Office reacts. Don't worry, there is room for custom operation, but new users are best served by a set of standard GUI controls.
Thanks for the links, I didn't know there were documented guidelines, could be useful. Actually, I'm not terribly fond of current day user interfaces (read: I hate them ), so my design philosophy with AvsP has been to keep things as minimalistic as possible, to the point where if you know how to use notepad with AviSynth, you already know how to use AvsP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
qwerpoi, I had a thought on one way of doing this. If you wanted to be able to "instantly" view any changes in sliders, without the long delay of reloading avisynth when one changes, you could behind the scenes save off a temp snapshot of the output, load into into a new script with only the current operation(s) using imagesource. That way it'd be nearly instantaneous, I assume (or is there significant overhead just from loading avisynth?). I guess I could test this out myself.

It'd only work for testing the final operation(s), at least without even more magic, though.

There might be a way to do this entirely in script, I'll look into it.
A long time ago I did similar tests (I trimmed the video to a single frame instead of using imagesource), and didn't find any speed increase. They were really informal tests, your method could be faster, but I get the impression that the overhead comes from loading the avisynth script (and dumping the text file to the hard drive) as you mention. I'll look into the matter when I get the time, if you find anything interesting let me know.
Old 11th November 2006, 23:36   #438  |  Link
jmac698

Single frame preview: avisynth is smart enough to request just enough data to preform it's operations. It may be possible that forcing a single frame is unnecessary.

Crop: oops, got me there. I didn't know there was a built in crop editor.

Color picker: yes, that's what I want, to do spot checks of colors. The idea of measuring two pixels is that, I pick a pixel in one source and a pixel in another source, and compute a tweak command to match colors.
But what's more important to me is simply to be able to read YUV colors, especially of colorbar patterns and other spot checks.

GUI: I've tutored people in basic computer operations, trust me it helps to have something familiar. There is actually good reasoning behind it, and it all started with research at the Palo Alto research centre a long time ago. E.g., if a button doesn't give visual or audio feedback, people will naturally keep pressing it until it "does something".
As for shortcuts, they are just there for keyboardists - disabled persons use serial key devices which operate naturally with shortcuts. There are various disabled on this board but you wouldn't know it!

Last edited by jmac698; 11th November 2006 at 23:44.
Old 12th November 2006, 00:05   #439  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Trimming to a single frame won't speed anything up.

Loading an ImageSource script should be very fast so long as everything in your plugin dir is in Windows' disk cache.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 13:42   #440  |  Link
qwerpoi

As promised, new version 1.3.3, download here or use the mirror on the first post. Here's the changelog:

Quote:
* added video preview zoom to fit window (suggested by Alain2)

* remember last zoom setting on startup

* added small indicator when zoom not at 100%

* added right-click menu to script tabs (suggested by zemog)

* added video custom jump size (suggested by Alain2)

* register all keyboard shortcuts with separate video window (suggested by krisq)

* improved auto-fit for separate video window (suggested by foxyshadis)

* updated about box with website info (suggested by krisq)

* added extra validation for user sliders (suggested by Naito)

* prevent showing preview on startup if script causes hard crash (suggested by jmac698)

> fixed positioning issues for multi-monitor setup (thanks foxyshadis)

> fixed bug with manual autocomplete on number (thanks Alain2)

> fixed small bug with offscreen window layout code (thanks Alain2)

> fixed issue with saving files with unicode text and line breaks (thanks Naito)

> allow tab as keyboard shortcut for separate video window (thanks krisq)
The biggest new feature is the ability for the video preview to fit the window, the option is located in the zoom menu "Video -> Zoom -> Fit to window" (currently only works when the preview is attached). The algorithm utilizes an Avisynth BicubicResize, you can customize this resize to any valid Avisynth resize in the "Options -> Program settings..." dialog under the "Video" tab. AvsP now remembers the last zoom setting, so you can have the "fit to window" zoom on all the time if you want. You'll notice a little triangle in the upper corner of the video window whenever the zoom is set to something other than 100%, this is just a visual reminder since it may become easy to forget that the zoom fit option is on (also indicated on the status bar).

You may find that when you are resizing the video window like crazy , you get an error like "Failed to retrieve AVI frame". It seems this can occur when the program tries to create/load avs files too quickly. If this error occurs, you'll see a gray video window, simply refresh with F5 to fix the problem.

Other than that, there are some various bugfixes in this release. I tried to fix the multi-monitor issues and some unicode decoding problems, but since I'm not able to recreate them on my computer I wouldn't be surprised if some issues lingered. So be sure to report back with any problems as always.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 14th November 2006 at 13:45.