Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd July 2011, 09:27   #8821  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Guys, can we stop discussing splitters in this thread now, please? Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:43   #8822  |  Link
Hprd

Yeah i thought just that when i made my post, lol.
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:32   #8823  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@Guys, can we stop discussing splitters in this thread now, please? Thanks!

Ah, sorry. And here I thought we were agreeing with you to stick with Haali's. hehe ;-)
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:56   #8824  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

No worries, Hprd and andybkma, just thought it was enough OT discussion now...
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:12   #8825  |  Link
Vern Dias

Quote:
What's with all that ZP-users all of a sudden?
Lack of any kind of user adjustable size and blanking presets that can be invoked from user defined hotkeys in MPC-HC may account for the interest in ZP, which has user definable size and blanking presets that can be invoked from keyboard shortcuts....

MPC-HC's usability leaves much to be desired for any kind of constant height / constant area HT installs. With MPC-HC, although you can define multiple height / width presets, you have to start MPC-HC in a window, bring up the context menu, select the DVD / file you want to play, switch to fullscreen, bring up the context menu again, select pan and scan, and then choose your preset. Meanwhile you are already 30 seconds into the movie. That's not what most HT enthusiasts with front screen projection constant height installs are looking for. With ZP, you press a key to start DVD playback and you press another key to adjust the image size to a user defined height and width. madVR gives a ZP user an alternative to VMR9 and EVR with far superior image quality, and there is no question in my mind that madVR delivers the best possible DVD image. In fact, thanks to madVR / MPC-HC I am rewatching many of my DVD's and enjoying them as never before.

Another alternative is Theatertek which performs the same type of AR control functions and allows 24 user definable presets.

YXY and aspect ratio controller are two other pieces of software that will do the same to almost any media player window, but then you don't get exclusive mode.

Vern

Last edited by Vern Dias; 23rd July 2011 at 13:16.
Vern Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:44   #8826  |  Link
JarrettH

How are you getting DVDs to play Vern? I can't play DVDs at all, ever, in madvr

I get copy-protect fail when I do Open DVD or just a blank screen and Paused

Last edited by JarrettH; 23rd July 2011 at 14:57.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:50   #8827  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Hi madshi, very impressed with the "delay playback start until render queue is full". Absolutely gorgeous seeing 0 frame drops from the very start even with frame interpolation avisynth scripts that usually makes any renderer stutter for a few seconds at start of playback.

Just wondering is it much work to also extend similar functionality to any time playback is about to "re"-start, like when going from windowed to exclusive and vice-versa. Those occurances seem to still stutter for perhaps 0.5-1.0 seconds while the buffers fill back up, which of course isn't the end of the world. I know audio has to continue in the background so madVR can't do the same type of "delay" technique to video and audio but maybe madVR could not begin to render any frames until the buffers are full again to avoid the 0.5 - 1 second of juddery rendering. Nice work anyways.
Glad you like it! Unfortunately doing this for windowed <-> exclusive switches wouldn't work that well, IMHO, because with some setups the switch works well enough that the audio runs through without pause. If I actually pause playback at such switches, audio would stop for half a second or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Well, I'll try with a different graphics card and see if there's any changes.
If you have the chance to do that, that sounds like a good plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Bug Report:

When I play a video on Monitor 1 and play it in fse and then go back to windowed and drag the video to Monitor 2 and go to fse the current frame freezes until I go back to windowed mode.
Can I get a log? Please keep it frozen for 10 seconds. After that kill the media player via task manager. That will make sure that the end of the log shows exactly the freeze and not the recovery after going back to windowed mode. Thx.
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:01   #8828  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Glad you like it! Unfortunately doing this for windowed <-> exclusive switches wouldn't work that well, IMHO, because with some setups the switch works well enough that the audio runs through without pause. If I actually pause playback at such switches, audio would stop for half a second or so.
np at all, not a huge deal anyways, I suppose if you wanted to really have the user see no stutter when queues are filling up, rather than pausing playback completely, if madVR could even render completely black frames or something like that until the queue filled up, it might mean madVR doesn't show any judder at all during any action it takes, like, start of playback (I see no stutter at all here now with your new feature), switching windowed <-> fullscreen, etc. All with the goal of the user seeing no stutter but I doubt many people would be crying out for something small like this, I could be wrong. If madVR only counted real frame drops (that wern't these blank / black frames - indicating how much stutter someone would actually see), I bet the number would be 0 or 1 no matter what situation the renderer was in, nice..

Again, I don't want to waste you're time asking silly questions when you have more important thinsg to be thinking about, but if you have time to answer, what situations does madVR still have to unpause the audio? Theres only some rare occasions when my audio stops for a second, I guess theres nothing that can be done about these situations or anything that we can do on our end to stop it happening?

Last edited by mark0077; 23rd July 2011 at 15:09.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:53   #8829  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
np at all, not a huge deal anyways, I suppose if you wanted to really have the user see no stutter when queues are filling up, rather than pausing playback completely, if madVR could even render completely black frames or something like that until the queue filled up
That falls under "minor cosmetical improvements", and thus has very low priority at the moment.

Quote:
what situations does madVR still have to unpause the audio? Theres only some rare occasions when my audio stops for a second, I guess theres nothing that can be done about these situations or anything that we can do on our end to stop it happening?
madVR itself doesn't stop audio from playing, not even if you activate the "delay playback start..." option. Audio stop is caused by either Direct3D or the GPU driver.
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:05   #8830  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.68 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for all primaries referenced by h264, VC-1, MPEG2 and MS
* added support for all decoding matrices referenced by h264, VC-1, MPEG2 & MS
* primaries, matrix and range are now read from VC-1, MPEG2 and h264 headers
* ffdshow RGB output levels are now automatically detected and handled properly
* added support for primary, matrix and range info via DirectShow media type
* improved primary and matrix guesses, if no detailed information is available
* primaries, matrix and range are auto set to what the source requires
* VC-1, MPEG2, h264 headers are read from external decoders, without their help
* Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I toggles input levels (source = full range or not)
* added info to OSD about video bitstream and madVR raw video input formats
* improved internal decoder seeking behaviour
* video bitstream AR is used now if no container AR is available
* libav decoder is now automatically used if Intel decoder can't handle a file
* Intel decoder is now automatically used for interlaced VC-1 content
* fixed: some new problems with external decoders, introduced in v0.67
* fixed: crashes with Intel decoder during playback or when seeking
* fixed: libav/ffmpeg decoder crashed with full_range h264 videos
* fixed: bad timestamps with internal libav/ffmpeg decoder
* fixed: libav/ffmpeg VC-1 decoder showed corruption at the bottom of the image
* fixed: graphical corruption with internal decoders in certain situations
* fixed: connection to 4:2:2 h264 streams is now declined
I think the internal decoders should be very usable now (for progressive content). If you find any more remaining issues, please let me know.
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:21   #8831  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
How are you getting DVDs to play Vern? I can't play DVDs at all, ever, in madvr

I get copy-protect fail when I do Open DVD or just a blank screen and Paused
The copy-protect fail has nothing to do with macrovision-fail. For some reason something (MPC? Directshow? Windows?) believes you are about to rip the DVD you're trying to watch on your hardware. Using a software that gets rid of copy-protections solved this issue for me (can't say more than that here I'm affraid).

As for the blank screen, I've never had this issue so I can't really tell.

Here's the filters I use to play DVDs in MPC-HC with madVR.

LAVSplitter (prefer)
LAV Audio Decoder (prefer)
NVidia Video Decoder (default merit)
ffdshow Audio Processor (prefer)

You can replace NVidia Video Decoder with ddfshow, it works too. I use NVidia's for hardware acceleration, but if LAV Cuvid worked with DVDs I'd be using that.

@madshi : I'll be testing 0.68 and report back if the gree screen problem is still present
Wile-E-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:22   #8832  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Can I get a log? Please keep it frozen for 10 seconds. After that kill the media player via task manager. That will make sure that the end of the log shows exactly the freeze and not the recovery after going back to windowed mode. Thx.
Wow I gess I didn't wait long enough for madVR to correct the FSE when switching monitors. I think it takes about 5-10 seconds.

EDIT: Sometimes it still gets stuck for more than 10 seconds...maybe the transition needs to be smoothed out slightly.

Last edited by dansrfe; 23rd July 2011 at 17:06.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:23   #8833  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
madVR v0.68 released
Thanks. And sorry for the splitters off-topic.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:15   #8834  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

OK, tests done.

Good news is : no more green screen. As far as individual video files are concerned, it works great.

Bad news is : it won't read DVDs. I didn't touch anything on my filters settings, I uninstalled madVR 0.66, intalled 0.68, kept all settings to default and when trying to launch a DVD it is set to pause and can't be played. I reverted back to 0.66 and DVDs launch fine.

EDIT : test was done on MPC-HC 1.5.2.3446
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:24   #8835  |  Link
kostik

Thanks Madshi for the new Version.
What are internal decoders for?
And what colorspace is best to choose in FFDSHOW?
Thanks.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:25   #8836  |  Link
dlb76

found some small cosmetic bug in madVR 0.68
dont know if its in any previous versions too
audio tracks part in madVR tray icon gets ruined while it creates new lines possibly because of those '|' symbols or so
http://pastebin.com/iV5fES2q
dlb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:47   #8837  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile-E-Coyote View Post
Bad news is : it won't read DVDs. I didn't touch anything on my filters settings, I uninstalled madVR 0.66, intalled 0.68, kept all settings to default and when trying to launch a DVD it is set to pause and can't be played. I reverted back to 0.66 and DVDs launch fine.
Can I have a small log with both 0.66 and 0.68 from the same DVD playback situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
What are internal decoders for?
Hmmmm... For decoding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
And what colorspace is best to choose in FFDSHOW?
You mean the output FourCC (like YV12, NV12, RGB32 etc)? I'd suggest to have all checkboxes set so that ffdshow can output the best matching format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb76 View Post
found some small cosmetic bug in madVR 0.68
dont know if its in any previous versions too
audio tracks part in madVR tray icon gets ruined while it creates new lines possibly because of those '|' symbols or so
http://pastebin.com/iV5fES2q
Thanks, will put that on my to do list to fix.
Old 23rd July 2011, 17:58   #8838  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

There you go, I let the dvd go for a couple of seconds with both versions. Hope it's not too big, I don't know what in there is useful and what is not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip madvr log.zip (172.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:02   #8839  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Oh well, attachments to this forum sometimes take weeks to be approved. You better upload them somewhere else...
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:05   #8840  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.69 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: (again) timestamp for libav/ffmpeg decoders
* another seeking improvement
I noticed that timestamps in v0.68 were broken again, although I had had them working already. So I've decided to replace v0.68 with v0.69 quickly.

Last edited by madshi; 23rd July 2011 at 18:13.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling