Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st May 2003, 15:04   #1  |  Link
lemon

Scene detection

Anyone knows if it is possible to do automatic scene detection from a source avi file in Vegas?
The file is get from an analog camera, so DV timecodes are not a valid solution.
Thx.
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 21:14   #2  |  Link
Arky

Well, as I'm sure you've also done, I just scoured the results from the SF website search tool and could only find scene detection mentioned in relation to DV footage, suggesting that Vegas's scene detection is based only upon DV timecode, rather than image analysis. Good though this forum is, I'd suggest you also ask on DMNforums.com and CreativeCow.net, purely in order to expose your question to the widest possible audience of Vegas users. Someone will doubtless have past experience in exactly this issue.

All I could find on SF's own Vegas forum was the following two posts (actually the same thread), relating to Vegas 3:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...ssageID=111995

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...=112037&Page=0

Good luck and please repost here with your findings, to help others.

Arky ;o)

Last edited by Arky; 28th May 2003 at 21:21.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 14:07   #3  |  Link
lemon2

Thanks Arky for the reply. I have searched in lots of places, and it seems there's no way to do it from inside Vegas. I found once a plugin that seemed to do this, as I had read, but I wasn't able to make it work, and now I have forgotten even it's name.
Sure if I found some solution I'll post it here.
By the way, I am the author of the original post, but I have a problem with my original account and now I can't post, or even read posts with it so I have had to create a new one. I have written two emails to kaizen explaining my problem, but I get no answer :-(
As I see you are a moderator, perhaps could you help me? I'd like to recover my original user account to the forum.
lemon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2003, 14:35   #4  |  Link
Arky

I'm sorry to hear of your account difficulties, but unfortunately I do not have the kind of power necessary to resolve the matter - I am only a lowly moderator of a few forum topics because Doom9 asked me. I can only suggest that you try emailing another Senior member of the administrative staff.

It's a pity you've reached an impasse with analogue scene detection in Vegas. I do not recall ever hearing of a plugin for this purpose, so I rather think your knowledge on the topic exceeds mine!

Arky ;o)

Last edited by Arky; 10th June 2003 at 14:38.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 19:40   #5  |  Link
jdcraz

This may or may not help - I use Scenealyzer to capture DV from MiniDV camera. It does image analysis and timecode scenedetection, although i believe it only works with DV footage. Its only 1.5MB.
jdcraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 15:45   #6  |  Link
OvERaCiD23

You can try using the old version of Scenalyzer. It has optical scene detection, but I can not vouch for it's precision.

http://scenalyzer.de/scenalyzer.zip
OvERaCiD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 16:10   #7  |  Link
lemon

Thanks for the help, but if I'm not wrong, the optical scene detection from scenalyzer would create me a ton of small avis, one for each scene, while what I want is to be able to conserve the avi file as a whole while having the scenes detected inside Vegas. If you have used Pinnacle Studio, that's exactly what I want, but in Vegas, of course...

Anyway, I'll try scenalyzer and see what I can do...
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote