Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 31st December 2010, 18:29   #15581  |  Link
joe42

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=15548

I haven't gotten much feedback on the issue I've had where some MKVs from MakeMKV crash MPC-HC. Has no one seen anything like this before? Or is this sort of thing common?

I was experimenting with the Spider-Man 3 MKV from MakeMKV that was crashing MPC-HC, trying to find out why some clips I created with MKVMerge would crash MPC-HC, and other clips would not. I finally narrowed it down to some relatively short clips that do crash MPC-HC! Here are two sequential 20 second clips, the first one (313) plays fine in MPC-HC, while the second one (314) crashes MPC-HC:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/algrzw...h_part-313.mkv
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wv6qg7...h_part-314.mkv

I used MKVMerge to split the problematic MKV up into 406 clips of 74MB each. I found that clips 314 - 319 all crashed MPC-HC but played fine in VLC. All the other clips that I tried played fine in MPC-HC (I did not try all 406, but I tried a number of them from different times).

It turns out that all 6 crashing clips contain the time (in the original MKV) from 1:47:20 to 1:49:10 which is, I believe, from the beginning of chapter 41 to the beginning of chapter 42. Something in that chapter creates clips that crash MPC-HC.

Any idea why that is?
Old 31st December 2010, 20:48   #15582  |  Link
clsid

The internal Matroska splitter is what crashes. Clip 314 plays fine with Haali splitter.
Old 1st January 2011, 02:11   #15583  |  Link
Polcius

Color management is completely broken.

I've done an ICC profile with an i1-Pro sensor. Obviously, this profile is applied "system-wide", since the desktop colors change from when I didn't have a profile.

I ran two measurements with the ColorHFCR soft, using a DVD with test patterns (grayscale, primaries...), playing it in MPC-HC.

First measurement, without color-management enabled (perceptual, 2.2, auto-detect) in MPC-HC. Everything flawless. Excellent grayscale tracking, dead on gamma.

Second, with color management enabled. A complete failure. Messes up the gamma, changes the grayscale...

I don't know what color management does, and yes, it alters the primaries, but messes up grayscale & gamma wich is more important.
Old 1st January 2011, 02:15   #15584  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

The guy who wrote that tried to explain to me how it works.

1. Your display itself (using the knobs) gets some basic configuration
2. For each colorspace you need you create a profile using the sensor
3. mpc-hc colorspace management can load the correct profile for each type of video and make sure the colors etc.. are always a correct match for the capabilities of your display.

The reason it works like this is because no 1 gamut will fit perfectly in another, this is the only way to ensure each gamut gets displayed as accurate as it can.

What i think is happening on your system. You have a global profile loaded and then load another one on top of that from mpc-hc, causing a double correction and incorrect colors etc..

You should disable all other corrections when using mpc-hc afaik.

Last edited by tetsuo55; 1st January 2011 at 02:22.
Old 1st January 2011, 05:04   #15585  |  Link
joe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The internal Matroska splitter is what crashes. Clip 314 plays fine with Haali splitter.
That is interesting. I had thought that it was best to use MPC-HC's internal splitter. But if the problem I am seeing (quite a few MakeMKV files I have tried crash MPC-HC) is not experienced by many people, are most people using Haali?

In general, do you think it is a better idea to use the Haali splitter with MPC-HC?

Also, does anyone know where best to point the finger here? Is MakeMKV generating MKV files that are out of spec, or is this just a bug in the Matroska splitter? I guess even if the files were out of spec, the splitter should fail gracefully, not crash.

Last edited by joe42; 1st January 2011 at 05:06.
Old 1st January 2011, 06:22   #15586  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The internal h264 decoder does currently not use ffmpeg-mt, you need ffdshow for that.
thanks nev.

the mpeg 4 part 2 and mpeg 2 decoders are multithreaded though, right?
Old 1st January 2011, 07:00   #15587  |  Link
sansnom05

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe42 View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=15548

I haven't gotten much feedback on the issue I've had where some MKVs from MakeMKV crash MPC-HC. Has no one seen anything like this before? Or is this sort of thing common?

I was experimenting with the Spider-Man 3 MKV from MakeMKV that was crashing MPC-HC, trying to find out why some clips I created with MKVMerge would crash MPC-HC, and other clips would not. I finally narrowed it down to some relatively short clips that do crash MPC-HC! Here are two sequential 20 second clips, the first one (313) plays fine in MPC-HC, while the second one (314) crashes MPC-HC:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/algrzw...h_part-313.mkv
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wv6qg7...h_part-314.mkv

I used MKVMerge to split the problematic MKV up into 406 clips of 74MB each. I found that clips 314 - 319 all crashed MPC-HC but played fine in VLC. All the other clips that I tried played fine in MPC-HC (I did not try all 406, but I tried a number of them from different times).

It turns out that all 6 crashing clips contain the time (in the original MKV) from 1:47:20 to 1:49:10 which is, I believe, from the beginning of chapter 41 to the beginning of chapter 42. Something in that chapter creates clips that crash MPC-HC.

Any idea why that is?
Check the mediainfo of your 314 clip, the reported duration of video is different (longer) than the duration in General. 313 clip is the same for both. Maybe that's the reason for internal Matroska filter crashed? Please check your other clips too.
Old 1st January 2011, 10:16   #15588  |  Link
joe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansnom05 View Post
Check the mediainfo of your 314 clip, the reported duration of video is different (longer) than the duration in General. 313 clip is the same for both. Maybe that's the reason for internal Matroska filter crashed? Please check your other clips too.
I did not follow that. What is "the duration in General"? What two durations are you comparing? The duration in mediainfo is one, I gather. What is the other?
Old 1st January 2011, 10:55   #15589  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Haali usually has better support for MKV than the internal splitter.
Old 1st January 2011, 15:13   #15590  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe42 View Post
That is interesting. I had thought that it was best to use MPC-HC's internal splitter. But if the problem I am seeing (quite a few MakeMKV files I have tried crash MPC-HC) is not experienced by many people, are most people using Haali?

In general, do you think it is a better idea to use the Haali splitter with MPC-HC?

Also, does anyone know where best to point the finger here? Is MakeMKV generating MKV files that are out of spec, or is this just a bug in the Matroska splitter? I guess even if the files were out of spec, the splitter should fail gracefully, not crash.
I'm using Haali to split my MakeMKV made MKV's. My guess would be a bug in the internal splitter which eventually will be replaced.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:05   #15591  |  Link
Polcius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
The guy who wrote that tried to explain to me how it works.

1. Your display itself (using the knobs) gets some basic configuration
2. For each colorspace you need you create a profile using the sensor
3. mpc-hc colorspace management can load the correct profile for each type of video and make sure the colors etc.. are always a correct match for the capabilities of your display.

The reason it works like this is because no 1 gamut will fit perfectly in another, this is the only way to ensure each gamut gets displayed as accurate as it can.

What i think is happening on your system. You have a global profile loaded and then load another one on top of that from mpc-hc, causing a double correction and incorrect colors etc..

You should disable all other corrections when using mpc-hc afaik.
I don't understand...

EDIT: Ok, I think I know what you mean. Tonight I will try disabling the "general" Windows color correction.

Last edited by Polcius; 1st January 2011 at 17:41.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:16   #15592  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
thanks nev.

the mpeg 4 part 2 and mpeg 2 decoders are multithreaded though, right?
None of the internal decoders are multithreaded.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:23   #15593  |  Link
Xorp

2011 bump: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mpc-hc/ticket/71

Let's see how many years we can keep it going
Old 1st January 2011, 18:41   #15594  |  Link
JanWillem32

@Polcius The general Windows color system has to be configured so that the profile is installed and marked as default system-wide, but without directly applying it. You can do that by accessing the color configuration panel in the Windows Control Panel. Change the system-wide settings under the "advanced" tab. Under the next "advanced" tab untick the the checkbox, and make sure you use the installed profile as default, with ICC display conditions. If your profile isn't present in the drop-down menu, you can install it in the "devices" tab. Make sure your user settings are merged with the system defaults, you can merge them in the "device" tab of the first screen under "profiles".
To save on resources, you can additionally disable the Windows Color System service. You can access it by running "services.msc" .
There are additional guides for this item if you search for Windows color solutions for Photoshop.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:10   #15595  |  Link
dansrfe

1 feature request:

In the playback tab under "Output" can there be an option to manually define rules for resizing. Such as "Half resolution if input resolution above a certain resolution" or "increase resolution by 1 1/3 if below a certain resolution". I'm sure this would help a lot of people.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:29   #15596  |  Link
clsid

This is an automated response from the MPC-HC feature request server:
CODE 37: Request queued at position 1109. Estimated implementation time August 15th, 2026. Thanks for your submission.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:31   #15597  |  Link
clsid

In ffdshow you can define custom settings profiles and different resizing settings.
You don't use ffdshow and prefer the inferior internal decoders?
Well that is too bad if you want the desired functionality.
Old 1st January 2011, 22:58   #15598  |  Link
Polcius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
@Polcius The general Windows color system has to be configured so that the profile is installed and marked as default system-wide, but without directly applying it. You can do that by accessing the color configuration panel in the Windows Control Panel. Change the system-wide settings under the "advanced" tab. Under the next "advanced" tab untick the the checkbox, and make sure you use the installed profile as default, with ICC display conditions. If your profile isn't present in the drop-down menu, you can install it in the "devices" tab. Make sure your user settings are merged with the system defaults, you can merge them in the "device" tab of the first screen under "profiles".
To save on resources, you can additionally disable the Windows Color System service. You can access it by running "services.msc" .
There are additional guides for this item if you search for Windows color solutions for Photoshop.
Can you make a screencap of how it should look, please?

Thanks, I will look for info.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:45   #15599  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm not talking about true resizing. I'm talking about telling the renderer to downscale on initial launch of the file. Kind of like what Haali did, except with a custom rule setup for under what restrictions to resize how much.
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:15   #15600  |  Link
JanWillem32

@Polcius The setup I described is valid for Vista and 7 only. For windows XP the color control is quite a bit different:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5965505.html

For screenshots, that will be a problem, unless you can read Dutch.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc