Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:33   #1  |  Link
ruediger.s

Announcing VobSub2SRT: convert .sub/.idx to .srt on Linux

VobSub2SRT is a Linux command line tool to convert Vobsub (.idx/.sub) subtitles into the .srt subtitle format. It is based on mplayer's vobsub code and uses tesseract for the OCR part.

You can get the source and manual at http://github.com/ruediger/VobSub2SRT

The quality of the OCR depends heavily on the quality of the subtitles. I'm currently planning to add some preprocessing features (like rescaling) to increase the OCR probabilities.

I'm developing VobSub2SRT on Kubuntu (current 10.04) but it should work on other Linux systems as well (and maybe even Mac OS X).

To build vobsub2srt on Ubuntu use
Code:
sudo apt-get install libavutil-dev tesseract-ocr-dev tesseract-ocr-eng build-essential cmake
./configure
make
sudo make install
To convert subtitles call
Code:
vobsub2srt Filename
with Filename being the file name of the subtitles without the .idx/.sub extension. The result is written to Filename.srt. To get more information use --verbose as parameter. With --lang langcode you can select the language stream (make sure you got the tesseract data for that language installed).

I hope this tool is useful to you and please give me some feedback.
ruediger.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, ocr, srt, vobsub