Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 28th February 2009, 08:35   #8421  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijnton View Post
Although I still don't know what is going on, I FINALLY got it working. (Knock on wood). I could find a trial version of TMT alone (not Extreme and don't ask me where) and installed it after uninstalling the retail. Then I installed the retail again on top of the trial and now everything seems o.k. TMT seems to be o.k. and not trial and version .129 and no problems with eac3to.
It seems that the retail version of TMT messes things up for me. But after installing it on top of a trial version it works !
Thanks to this info from rijnton I finally got this up and running. It seems that the detection most definitely has something to do with the newer installs from Arcsoft surrounding the Total Media Extreme product family. (which includes TMT) If using an older version that is TMT only it works fine even when the newer codec versions are installed on top of it.

Here's how to get it working:

1. Uninstall all previous versions and do the cleanup steps listed in this thread. (Registry clean, delete orphaned directories, delete instances of "arcsoft" in the registry)

1.Download and install the old version of the TMT trial that was pulled from Arcsoft's site awhile ago:

http://rapidshare.com/files/15529889...intro.exe.html

2. Do not run the program at this point - reboot
3. download this patch: http://www.arcsoft.com/downloads/dig...Update_ALL.exe
and install it. Again, do not run program. Note that this step may not be necessary. Rijton reported that he did not install this patch and went right to installing the retail w/o problems.
4. Reboot
5. eac3to should work at this point. If you own TMT or TME retail, go ahead and install now.

Last edited by TruckChase!; 28th February 2009 at 18:20. Reason: Make instructions a little more clear
Old 28th February 2009, 10:59   #8422  |  Link
idbirch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post
I own several HD-DVDs and would like to (in some instances) use the HD-DVD .eac3 track directly on a BD back-up, but I've never been able to get it to work. I always have to change the audio to something else (DTS, PCM, or standard AC3).
dburckh, the same guy who made the TrueHD fix for TSMuxer also makes ToNMT which converts HD-DVD Dolby Digial Plus streams into BluRay compliant DDP streams. Before the BDs came out, I used it to remux the Bourne trilogy HD-DVDs to BluRay and the DDP worked fine.

Edit: Looking back over the ToNMT forums, I think it was QuickFix.cmd that I used. The .dpp track was first demuxed using eac3to then processed with QuickFix then finally remuxed into a BluRay structure using TSMuxer and played back on the PS3. My Denon 1909 picked up the DDP no problem.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th February 2009 at 11:27.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:29   #8423  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckChase! View Post
Here's how to get it working:

1.Download the old version of the TMT trial that was pulled from Arcsoft's site awhile ago:

http://rapidshare.com/files/15529889...intro.exe.html

2. Do not run the program at this point - reboot
3. download this: http://www.arcsoft.com/downloads/dig...Update_ALL.exe
and install it. Again, do not run program
4. Reboot
5. eac3to should work at this point. If you own TMT or TME retail, go ahead and install now.
When do you install the trial from step 1?
Old 28th February 2009, 13:48   #8424  |  Link
odin24

Can eac3to slow down a DTS HD-MA track from 24 to 23.976fps without re-encoding to DTS 1536?

I only ask because the last time I played a 24fps BD on my NTSC setup the video had a slow but steady flicker which was quite annoying.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:51   #8425  |  Link
rijnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Of course I cannot speak for TruckChase, but I uninstalled my retail version first, rebooted, then installed the trial version, rebooted and installed the retail again on top of the trial. I didn't use the update in between. In other words, I installed my retail .129 on top of the .120 trial and I now have a full-working (not trial) 2.1.6.129.

Btw, part of the credits must go to HDCompatible from abhdt.net:
http://www.abhdtv.net/forum/showthre...t=12314&page=7

And I now understand the PATH thing, although it was not needed anymore. I now see PATH but with regards to Arcsoft only the path to Common Files\Arcsoft\Bin
Old 28th February 2009, 16:01   #8426  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
Can eac3to slow down a DTS HD-MA track from 24 to 23.976fps without re-encoding to DTS 1536?
It is not possible without re-encoding.
Old 28th February 2009, 18:16   #8427  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
Lol; Sorry... I shouldn't post after going out drinking w/ friends. Post updated with better instructions.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:58   #8428  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi,

Yesterday I did my first tests in converting a DTS MA audio track to a multichannel flac, which works fine at all. Nevertheless, when the converting process was finished, I ended up with a flac file, which has a bitdepth of 24bit, while eac3to told me, that the bitdepth of the original track was only 16bit. Since using 24bit in the flac file is a waste of space when the original bitdepth is only 16bit, I repeated the process using the -down16 parameter, and now everthing is fine. Both the original DTS MA audio track an the resulting flac file have the same bitdepth of 16bit.

That brings up the question:

Is it possible to use eac3to in a way, where a lossless track, like Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA, is decoded and analysed for it's bitdepth, while the resulting data is not written to the hdd and discarded instead ? This would make it possible to do a faster first pass to scan the track for it's bitdepth, and then do a second pass to convert the track in a flac file of the original bitdepth.

C.U. NanoBot
Old 28th February 2009, 21:11   #8429  |  Link
odin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
It is not possible without re-encoding.
Thanks, I sorta figured that. Instead I converted to LPCM, then changed 24fps fo 23.976fps.
Old 28th February 2009, 21:37   #8430  |  Link
anode

Hello to madshi and all of you...

i have a short question to subtitle demuxing:

as far i have seen, in the output of eac3to's demuxed sup-files from blu-ray they contain the necessary PTS info but no DTS (decoder time stamp) information. I had some subtitles which do not play on my Samsung BD-P2500 (longer, more complex ones) (remuxed with tsMuxeR to BR-AVCHD). Why are the DTS fields always zero?
When demuxing the same track with tsMuxeR, DTS info is present.

If i use the tsMuxeR-demuxed source, then the subtitles are displayed correctly.
Perhaps you can give me some info about this DTS information?

Thank you very much for all the work on eac3to.
Old 28th February 2009, 22:04   #8431  |  Link
sidekick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
dburckh, the same guy who made the TrueHD fix for TSMuxer also makes ToNMT which converts HD-DVD Dolby Digial Plus streams into BluRay compliant DDP streams. Before the BDs came out, I used it to remux the Bourne trilogy HD-DVDs to BluRay and the DDP worked fine.

Edit: Looking back over the ToNMT forums, I think it was QuickFix.cmd that I used. The .dpp track was first demuxed using eac3to then processed with QuickFix then finally remuxed into a BluRay structure using TSMuxer and played back on the PS3. My Denon 1909 picked up the DDP no problem.
According to the tonmt forums, quickfix.cmd changes "TS Type from 0x81 to 0x84 for eac3 tracks" I just tried this 3 different ways on my Bourne Identity hd-dvd, and it still won't play in the ps3 as a blu-ray disk. I used his tonmt gui, I used ts4np, and then I took the output from tsmuxergui and ran quickfix.cmd on the m2ts file and burned. All three causes the ps3 to stutter and display audio as dolby 112k. (no audio can be heard, but the video plays smooth for ~1 sec then stutters)

quickfix does not convert the hd-dvd dolby-digital plus into something that blu-ray players can understand. At least that I can get to work..

Or... the PS3 doesn't like dolby digital plus.

Arcsoft total media theater plays the files and or folder structures no problem. Shows up as dolby digital 1536k.

When burned... no worky...
Old 28th February 2009, 22:26   #8432  |  Link
peterjcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post
If HD DVD has no AC3 core, then why would the HD DVD to Blu Ray I did come out as AC3 5.1? It also comes out as AC3 5.1 when I play the EVO files from the pc through the same amp. I am using the original DD+ audio from the HD DVD's and muxed with TsMuxer to make a BD.
Well, I gather that HD DVD DD+ is designed to be fairly easily downconverted to AC3 on-the-fly so that a compatible player can produce a good AC3 version for output via optical etc. I suppose you could argue that that's similar to having a legacy core, but I would say that it's not, since it still takes a bit of work and you need a new decoder that know what to do.

What hardware and software players are you using? It might be useful to work out which ones either downconvert HD DVD DD+ to AC3 or pass them through a receiver. The hardware players that do may have a chipset in common etc.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:14   #8433  |  Link
nwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post
Well, I gather that HD DVD DD+ is designed to be fairly easily downconverted to AC3 on-the-fly so that a compatible player can produce a good AC3 version for output via optical etc. I suppose you could argue that that's similar to having a legacy core, but I would say that it's not, since it still takes a bit of work and you need a new decoder that know what to do.

What hardware and software players are you using? It might be useful to work out which ones either downconvert HD DVD DD+ to AC3 or pass them through a receiver. The hardware players that do may have a chipset in common etc.
I am using a Sony S350 and it has DD+ decoding in the specs for it. I am using the coaxial digital output (don't have HD audio capability). The amp is a Sony STR-DB930.

Software is PowerDVD 7.3 and Nero Showtime with the HD DVD/BD plugin.

I recently did a load of movie only HD DVD to Blu Ray's with DD+ straight from the HD DVD's inc the Bourne Trilogy.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:24   #8434  |  Link
pbjr

wine error > 4GB file

Anyone using Linux and Wine getting this error?

err:virtual:NtMapViewOfSection Sizes larger than 4Gb (66013e000) not supported on this platform
err:virtual:NtMapViewOfSection Sizes larger than 4Gb (66013e000) not supported on this platform
Error reading file ".\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts".

Thanks,
Mike

** Update **

wine bug that was fixed in 1.1.16
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17373

Last edited by pbjr; 28th February 2009 at 23:53.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:31   #8435  |  Link
HanSolo00

I have a small but simple feature request

Please add support for -24.975fps source framerate (the product of RePAL'd material.) It would be very useful to be able to "-24.975 -ChangeTo24.000" in order to revert audio back to original film speed, to match RePAL+AssumeFPS(24) video.

Thanks for the excellent tool!
Old 28th February 2009, 23:44   #8436  |  Link
sidekick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post
I am using a Sony S350 and it has DD+ decoding in the specs for it. I am using the coaxial digital output (don't have HD audio capability). The amp is a Sony STR-DB930.

Software is PowerDVD 7.3 and Nero Showtime with the HD DVD/BD plugin.

I recently did a load of movie only HD DVD to Blu Ray's with DD+ straight from the HD DVD's inc the Bourne Trilogy.
I'm using the PS3, thru hdmi to an Onkyo 805. My Dad has a bdp-s350, so I think I'll take one of these bd-re I've burned over there and see if it works on his. If it does, then that means the PS3 doesn't like dd+.

Hmm... another site shows: http://whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2008...ray-audio.html

To date, Sony has not been terribly responsive to these suggestions. Other than confirming that:

* of the four higher-resolution or lossless audio compression codecs, the PS3 can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but not Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution

* the PS3 can pass through the four advanced audio compression codecs as bitstreams, rather than decoding them to linear PCM, but it can pass them through only in their "core" 5.1-channel, low-bitrate forms

This explains why I won't get dolby digital plus on the PS3. It's not supported or decoded. (unless it's a real blu-ray dd+, with a core, and then it will spit out the core only)

Has anyone else got a PS3 and dolby digital plus working? (from an hd-dvd rip?)
Old 1st March 2009, 00:14   #8437  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anode View Post
...as far i have seen, in the output of eac3to's demuxed sup-files from blu-ray they contain the necessary PTS info but no DTS (decoder time stamp) information. ...If i use the tsMuxeR-demuxed source, then the subtitles are displayed correctly.
Is this only for certain types of subs? When I tried comparing the output of eac3to and tsMuxeR with HxD Hex Editor, its Compare feature says they are bit-for-bit identical...?
Old 1st March 2009, 03:26   #8438  |  Link
SomeJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekick2 View Post
According to the tonmt forums, quickfix.cmd changes "TS Type from 0x81 to 0x84 for eac3 tracks" I just tried this 3 different ways on my Bourne Identity hd-dvd, and it still won't play in the ps3 as a blu-ray disk. I used his tonmt gui, I used ts4np, and then I took the output from tsmuxergui and ran quickfix.cmd on the m2ts file and burned. All three causes the ps3 to stutter and display audio as dolby 112k. (no audio can be heard, but the video plays smooth for ~1 sec then stutters)

quickfix does not convert the hd-dvd dolby-digital plus into something that blu-ray players can understand. At least that I can get to work..

Or... the PS3 doesn't like dolby digital plus.

Arcsoft total media theater plays the files and or folder structures no problem. Shows up as dolby digital 1536k.

When burned... no worky...
I tried the QuickFix.cmd from the ToNMT package on an HD-DVD rip. I was able to get the final .m2ts to play Dolby Digital Plus when playing through the PCH A110, although when fast forwarding or rewinding, the audio goes silent until you pause/play several times. This may be a PCH A110 bug rather than a bug in the muxing.

The same .m2ts file would not play through a Sony BDP-S350 when burned to a BD-RE. It was silent (no audio), and video freezes playback after about 15 seconds. So obviously, the muxing isn't 100% compliant. Of course, there was no core AC3 stream in the .m2ts either, which also isn't BD compliant, so there's all sorts of places where the Sony might have a problem.
Old 1st March 2009, 06:54   #8439  |  Link
sidekick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJoe View Post
I tried the QuickFix.cmd from the ToNMT package on an HD-DVD rip. I was able to get the final .m2ts to play Dolby Digital Plus when playing through the PCH A110, although when fast forwarding or rewinding, the audio goes silent until you pause/play several times. This may be a PCH A110 bug rather than a bug in the muxing.

The same .m2ts file would not play through a Sony BDP-S350 when burned to a BD-RE. It was silent (no audio), and video freezes playback after about 15 seconds. So obviously, the muxing isn't 100% compliant. Of course, there was no core AC3 stream in the .m2ts either, which also isn't BD compliant, so there's all sorts of places where the Sony might have a problem.
I took my burn of Bourne Identity that would not work and it plays *FINE* in my Dad's bdp-s350! This disk would not play at all in my PS3 (as described in my previous posts). I would have never guessed the PS3 wouldn't be able to decode DD+. The on-screen display on the bdp-s350 showed it as Dolby Digital Plus. I didn't watch the whole disk, just about 5 minutes of the movie. I took the bd-re version that I used ts4np to create blu-ray structure with.

I also attempted to play the disk in the PS3 using bitstream, instead of linear pcm. Still didn't work. On the second attempt, it locked the PS3 up hard, and I had to flip the switch for a reboot.

So, bottom line, some players will play the hd-dvd version of DD+, once properly flagged with quickfix.cmd, even though the DD+ isn't the "true" or "correct" version of DD+ meant for blu-ray.

All we need now, is for Madshi to come up with a DD+ converter! Create a core from the hd-dvd DD+, then stick the extra bits on top of the core with some duct tape and spit. Ohh, and write a new firmware for the PS3 so I can play DD+. (minor detail I almost left out)

Last edited by sidekick2; 1st March 2009 at 06:59.
Old 1st March 2009, 15:19   #8440  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi everybody,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBot View Post
my original question
After converting a TrueHD track to flac the first time, I noticed, that eac3to is not showing the bitdepth of a TrueHD track in the track overview, while it does on DTS MA tracks. Nevertheless, eac3to is automatically doing a second pass to reduce the bitdepth of the output file to 16bit, if a 16bit THD was detected during the first pass, which is fine. Therefore it is necessary to rephrase my original question:

Are the bitdepth values of DTS MA tracks, which are shown in the track overview, only nominal values, which are derived from the DTS header ? Or are these values absolutely reliable, so I can be sure that a DTS MA track really has the bitdepth indicated in the track overview ?

If the indicated bitdepth value is only nominal, I would propose that eac3to should operate like with TrueHD tracks by automatically doing a second pass to reduce the bitdepth of the output file, if necessary. On the other hand, if the bitdepth values indicated in the track overview are reliable, I would propose that eac3to should automatically use the "-down16" parameter, if the bitdepth of a DTS MA track is indicated as 16bit.

C.U. NanoBot
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to