Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th October 2018, 12:52   #181  |  Link
mclingo

yeah its subjective opinion but I saw Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D, cost me a small fortune if memory serves, it still looks loads better on my OLED due to the perfect inky blacks that you just dont get even with the best projectors.

I dont remember having to keep my head particularly straight though, I dont have to at home which is also passive. I can sit comfortably without worrying about it or seeing any XTALK.

I'd love to see 3D come back with MICRO LED, passive or glasses free, they'd have my cash in the bag.
Old 19th October 2018, 16:07   #182  |  Link
Warner306

I can only see it coming back if they can come up with a usable format that doesn't require 3D glasses. It is too hard to train people to watch TV with special glasses.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 16:44   #183  |  Link
mclingo

I'm under no illusion it will ever come back to me honest, its just a dream of mine.

I think glasses were always a only part of the problem, if the experience is good enough, generally people dont mind wearing them, cinema 3D is still quite popular. Passives weigh nothing and cost pennies, active were heavier, expensive and flickered which was a problem though.

I think the main issue is that it just didnt look very good on sub 55 inch TV's which most people had, the really get the most out of it you need a huge TV. I would also say that most 3D conversions were done fairly poorly too with little or no pop at all and just a bit of depth, spiderman 2 is one of the worst 3D conversions i've seen, utterly pointless.

All of the marvel conversions have been pretty good, Titanic is unbelievably good but there was just too much dross out there.
Old 19th October 2018, 17:28   #184  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's the issue right there. MOST 3D is done as a conversion after the fact. The reason Avatar looked as good as it did was because of how it was shot. I suspect the new Avatar movies coming out over the next few years will kick off renewed interest, but, we'll see. Quite frankly, 8K is probably well suited for a truly spectacular 3D experience.
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:20   #185  |  Link
kostik

What size do you set for CPU queue and GPU queue ? If I have quiet good GPU (GTX 1080) and fine (CPU) what settings would you suggest for cpu\gpu queue size?
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:27   #186  |  Link
Asmodian

I like lower sizes, something like GPU 6 and CPU 12 works well for me, with 3 frames presented in advance.

Queues are only there as pre-rendered frames in case there is a stall on the system. I never get dropped frames with even smaller queues so there is no reason to use large queues. Also Windows 10 seems a little less odd with presented frames in advance at 3 or below. GPU memory use is lower and startup latency may be a tiny bit better too (possibly placebo).

I have a 2080 Ti and a 7900X at 4.7 GHz.
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:03   #187  |  Link
mclingo

ive been having another look at one of my two problems I have with me AMD card, the loss of HDMI when stopping a 3D movie.

this still really baffles me and I still think its something to do with MADVR but I just cant track it down, I have found something new though. When the movie stops it should turn 3D off which it does, it shows 3D IS NOW OFF on the TV, then it should drop back to 2160p60 from 1080p23 and it also does this to as when I lose HDMI I can still VNC on and see my desktop and if I look at my monitor properties it shows its outputting 2160p60.

the new odd thing I found is that if I use set res to change my output to 2160p23 my desktop comes back and I can then change it back to 2160p but if I change it to 1080p60 and the picture comes back, if if then change it straight to 2160p60 I lose HDMI again, its like something is preventing my PC or TV outputting 2160p60.

However... if I then change it to 2160p23 I get the picture again and if I then change it to 2160p60 it changes back again and I get HDMI again.

I think this has to be an an issue with MADVR as when the 3D implementation was written there were no 4K 3D TV's, i'm betting the reason I dont have this problem with MPC or KODI DS is that there is a bug with windows and 1080p /4k 3D switching that MADSHI isnt aware of.

Has anyone else got an AMD card with a 4k 3D TV?
Old 14th November 2018, 09:50   #188  |  Link
NoTechi

I am just using MPC-BE since I started with my htpc/madvr setup and I really like it since it just plays everything including iso and 3Dmvc out of the box and works great. I also talked a friend into using my setup.
In the process to change my setup from full screen exclusive with copy back in lav filter to d3d11 and windowed mode I am running into some problems where I am really stuck now. I was not sure where to post it since it might not be mpc-be related and could be lav or madvr settings. If someone has ideas what to try it would be great since we are kinda stuck atm.

My current problems:
1. I always get subtitles even though in lav filters the subtitles are turned off. I always have to right click once a movie started and turn subtitles off manually in mpc-be.
2. Mpc window is always starting in a tiny window and I have to double click to bring it to full screen even though I enabled in mpc to remember the window size and I left the last movie from windowed full screen.
3. The most critical problem I have at the moment being in windowed mode is that seek/fast forward is always causing the video to hang (looks like a few frames are being repeated over and over) but the sound is being played correctly. I never had problems in full screen exclusive and madvr seek bar.
4. One other strange behavior I am experiencing with my JVC is that it is switching to HDR mode on HDR titels even though I did not changed the settings in madvr in regards to sending bt2020 and output in HDR format. The JVC was not switching to HDR when I used exclusive full screen.
5. Also a very strange behavior is that my jvc is not switching to 3d mode anymore when playing a 3D mvc file. Strange is that I still have 3D working it is just in a different profile like bt2020 and not in 3D. Not sure if there is a difference and why it is not switching to 3D. This problem I had also in full screen exclusive lately and I can't remember when this started.

My friend just has one main problem. Somehow we can't get his iso files linked to mpc-be. We tried everything like the admin file extension function in mpc or even with third party software. Strange is that going into windows 10 apps settings where you can assign apps to file extensions the extensions iso is not even listed there....

If you got any ideas what we could try please let us know it would be really appreciated since we are getting into a stuck/frustrated mode.

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 13:42   #189  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
I am just using MPC-BE since I started with my htpc/madvr setup and I really like it since it just plays everything including iso and 3Dmvc out of the box and works great. I also talked a friend into using my setup.
In the process to change my setup from full screen exclusive with copy back in lav filter to d3d11 and windowed mode I am running into some problems where I am really stuck now. I was not sure where to post it since it might not be mpc-be related and could be lav or madvr settings. If someone has ideas what to try it would be great since we are kinda stuck atm.

My current problems:
1. I always get subtitles even though in lav filters the subtitles are turned off. I always have to right click once a movie started and turn subtitles off manually in mpc-be.
2. Mpc window is always starting in a tiny window and I have to double click to bring it to full screen even though I enabled in mpc to remember the window size and I left the last movie from windowed full screen.
3. The most critical problem I have at the moment being in windowed mode is that seek/fast forward is always causing the video to hang (looks like a few frames are being repeated over and over) but the sound is being played correctly. I never had problems in full screen exclusive and madvr seek bar.
4. One other strange behavior I am experiencing with my JVC is that it is switching to HDR mode on HDR titels even though I did not changed the settings in madvr in regards to sending bt2020 and output in HDR format. The JVC was not switching to HDR when I used exclusive full screen.
5. Also a very strange behavior is that my jvc is not switching to 3d mode anymore when playing a 3D mvc file. Strange is that I still have 3D working it is just in a different profile like bt2020 and not in 3D. Not sure if there is a difference and why it is not switching to 3D. This problem I had also in full screen exclusive lately and I can't remember when this started.

My friend just has one main problem. Somehow we can't get his iso files linked to mpc-be. We tried everything like the admin file extension function in mpc or even with third party software. Strange is that going into windows 10 apps settings where you can assign apps to file extensions the extensions iso is not even listed there....

If you got any ideas what we could try please let us know it would be really appreciated since we are getting into a stuck/frustrated mode.

NoTechi

ive always had issues with MP-BE and MADVR, I just use MPC-BE for previewing movies quickly, I then sit back and play the full movie in KODI DS or sometimes MPC-BE. Try MPC-HC, its easier to setup I find and is a bit more stable.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:57   #190  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
ive always had issues with MP-BE and MADVR, I just use MPC-BE for previewing movies quickly, I then sit back and play the full movie in KODI DS or sometimes MPC-BE. Try MPC-HC, its easier to setup I find and is a bit more stable.
I never considered DS Player since it can't handle 3D mvc and MPC-HC since it can't handle iso out of the box. Did that changed?

NoTechi
Old 14th November 2018, 14:08   #191  |  Link
mclingo

I never use out of the box setup as you are tied to old versions of lAV filters, I always use LAV as external filerts, this is best way. KODI DS uses MADVR so it plays MVC 3D fine, its my main player as it hosts my entire collection, its pretty dawn great. It needs updating though as the downloaded version has old versions of LAV filters onboard but you can update those manually.

MPC-HC just needs external filters configuring, and local filters turned off, not much to do and you only have to do it once.

Main KODI DS thread.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...23175&page=447
Old 14th November 2018, 14:43   #192  |  Link
NoTechi

Thanks will try
Old 14th November 2018, 15:37   #193  |  Link
clsid

MPC-HC v1.8.3 contains the very recent LAV v0.73.
For H.264 MVC you only need Intel MediaSDK plugin.
Windows 10 has ability to mount ISOs as a virtual drive. Using AutoPlay should do the rest.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 18:54   #194  |  Link
mclingo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvFafeelEBigP9ZOhxhvo7JcXoXJw

bit of fun, someone posted this on my facebook, thought i'd accidentally turned my 2D-3D converter on my TV on, really cool 3D effect / optical illusion - or is it just my Eyes?
Old 27th November 2018, 13:38   #195  |  Link
iSeries

j82k made a video of the flashing near black issue on 2018 LG OLEDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_t3UQ3gAk
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 14:09   #196  |  Link
mclingo

can post you show title, the episode number and the time this clip occurs so I can have a look myself. Is this a stream rip or bluray rip?

sorry missed the other post, got the clips now.

Last edited by mclingo; 27th November 2018 at 14:23.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 14:26   #197  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
can post you show title, the episode number and the time this clip occurs so I can have a look myself. Is this a stream rip or bluray rip?
It's a stream from The Handsmaids Tale, episode 8 of season 2, just after the 46 minute mark. The issue seems less pronounced on high bitrate content but I've even been seeing it when playing bluray discs. I haven't really seen it at all in HDR content
Old 27th November 2018, 14:27   #198  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, be interesting to see what they look like on my 2015 OLED, I can see on my monitor at work that there is a lot of low ire noise in those clips though.

I'll report back later when i'm home.
Old 27th November 2018, 14:38   #199  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Hi, be interesting to see what they look like on my 2015 OLED, I can see on my monitor at work that there is a lot of low ire noise in those clips though.

I'll report back later when i'm home.
It was recorded at high ISO which accounts for a lot of the noise. Those artifacts that flash are actually in the source - but it's the TV making them flash - there should be no change to the brightness of those pixels when a paused image is moved around the screen but as you can see in the video, shifting the paused image around the screen causes the TV to flash up all those macroblocks. I've never seen that happen on any other TV
Old 27th November 2018, 14:52   #200  |  Link
mclingo

i'll need to see it on mine before I can comment further but it sounds normal now you've explained it like that, OLED just cant hide really bad source problems, the movie snowpiercer is completely unwatchable without MADVR, there are flashing blocks and all sorts of crap on the screen which does also change when you pause the movie and movie a windowed box about the screen.

Check this disaster of a clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgvFafeelEBigP96N4PQZzBs4iPcfg

This covered MADVR and KODI DS which is still the best MADVR based player out there, even though it hasnt been updated in ages. IMHO

I've come to terms with my OLED no handling noise well, I try to avoid poor rips and use MADVR to clean up the image the best I can where I can. These movies look much worse on my 2017 LCD though, not only are they a grey mess but when the lights are out I can still see the macroblocking, its just less pronounced as LCD dynamic range in dark scenes is pants.

Last edited by mclingo; 11th December 2018 at 21:16.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote