Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 11th December 2003, 23:48   #1  |  Link
falcon_b

Slow directstream copy

After version 1.5.10. both Virtualdub and VitrualdubMod are very slow if I use them to join avi's in directstream mode. The old releases has 1000-2000 fps, the new one has 50-500.
Could somebody explain me why? I didn't found any help in this forum.

Thanks in advance
falcon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2003, 11:04   #2  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

Avery Lee might have changed the code of muxing part. or there will be a probability of bug in that part, which avery lee can only correct.
Old 12th December 2003, 11:15   #3  |  Link
Suiryc

Avery Lee changed some pieces of code in the part reading AVI files.
His reading code (which caches a bit ahead of the actual data requests) now consumes less memory ... but is slower (sometimes really slower yeah).

I noticed that along the 1.5.x versions the speed indeed decreased (generally it takes me at least twice the time it needed in the last 1.4.x versions). On the other hand his code consumes less memory and he also does a bit more checkings (to notice and try to fix problems in files).

He also changed the whole muxing system but I don't think this part had a real impact (or nat least not as much as the reading part).
Suiryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2003, 11:28   #4  |  Link
falcon_b

Thanks
falcon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 02:59   #5  |  Link
kwyjibo99

Well, I noticed to the new behaivour, but, in my case, demuxing audio streams. Demuxing audio is now very very slow, 7 min for a 20 Mb stream. Maybe I'm soing something wrong... Any idea?

(Maybe this is a feature request, so it must be in the tracker...)
kwyjibo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 02:48   #6  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Hi,

I've noticed the slow down as well. I'd prefer more memory be used rather than slowing it down this much. Anyway, an idea in case some of you haven't thought about it...

If you have 2 HDDs, save the output file to the other HDD. That should give you a little more speed, it does for me.