Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2002, 00:04   #1  |  Link
FulciLives

Just what are the specs of the MPEG-4 advanced simple profile?

Hello

This question is sparked by the 8/29/2002 news item on the DOOM9 web site. If you haven't already read it:

Quote:
KISS has announced that it will use Sigma's latest decoder chip in their upcoming DVD players. These players will be capable to play MPEG-4 (including DivX - if it's MPEG-4 compatible so count DivX3 out), MP3 audio and WMA audio. The players will also have an internal harddisk for direct video and audio file storage, progressive video output and HDTV output.
Sounds pretty interesting. I read the press announcement on the KISS website and I also read a little about the Sigma Design's EM8500 chip (that is the chip they are talking about above).

According to the KISS website their new DVD players will ...

Quote:
The MPEG-4 support is based on the Advanced Simple Profile and supports DVD resolution content.
They also mention ...

Quote:
Audio capabilities also include Dolby® Digital, Windows Media Audio (WMA) and MPEG-1 Layers 1, 2 and 3 (MP3).
Now, a couple of things bother me ...

1.) No mention of AAC audio which alot of people are making a big deal over due to the fact that it offers better compression and better sound quality than MP3 audio.

2.) Just what is MPEG-4 advanced simple profile?

As for question or point 2 above ... how do I encode a DivX or XviD so it is compatible with MPEG-4 a.s.p.? Can I use b-frames, GMC, etc. What about the Psychovisual setting? Will AAC sound work or do we use MP3 or can we use AC3 or what? Should the resolution always be 640 x whatever or are other resolutions OK etc.

So, I guess the ultimate question when it is all done and said is what settings can be used in the codec(s) and what sound file type should be used WHEN MAKING DivX/XviD files NOW so that they are compliant with MPEG-4 a.s.p.?

And one last thing ... perhaps it is too early to tell but I wonder ... according to the Sigma Design site the EM8500 chip ...

OK, maybe I answered some of my own questions ... the Sigma Designs site says, just to clearify, MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile Level 5 (no 1/4 pixel nor GMC).

Ok doing more exploration (hehehe you guys gonna kill me for not editing this post) I found the following on the Sigma Designs web site:

MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile Level 5
- Rectanguler shape video decoding for one object up to CCIR 601 resolution (720x480 or 720x576)
- Support for B Pictures (b-frame option I guess?)
- No data partitioning (whatever that means)
- No text/graphics compositing (this have something to do with subtitles?)

Also mentioned is this ...
WMA, DivX, MP3 and MPEG-4 AVI files using ISO 9660 format

What exactly does this mean? Can an AVI file only be played from a CD or will it be possible to play back an AVI from a DVD-R (a feature I would like since you can create one large 2GB AVI file to retain the best possible quality instead of this obessive thought of being able to fit an entire movie on a single CD-R).

Well ... a lot of questions ... answers to any and all of this would be appreciated. I'm sure many of us would like to know as much as this as possible. I would love to be able to use a stand alone player with a TV to play back my DivX/MPEG-4 files than watch them on the computer or have the computer near the TV and use a video card TV out.

Peace brothers and sisters,

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 05:06   #2  |  Link
-h
Kilted Yaksman

From http://www.m4if.org/resources/profiles/visualtools.php .

The Advanced Simple Profile supports (which will concern you):

- B-frames
- H.263/MPEG quantization
- Interlacing
- Global Motion Compensation
- Quarter-pel ME.

As you can see, the real fun stuff is in the Advanced Coding Efficiency Profile, but that's a long time off being implemented in XviD.

-h
-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 12:36   #3  |  Link
FulciLives

Sigma Design's EM8500 chip does not agree with you

Hello

Well, I don't know what to think now because according to the SIGMA DESIGN website, their EM8500 chip (which will be in the new DVD players by KISS) does not support GMC and does not support QTR-Pel yet you say this stuff is part of the MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile so what gives? Is the Sigma Design website incorrect then or is their product not really 100% MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile?

Oh well ...

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 13:30   #4  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

... Somewhat interesting. I'd like to see what the hardware is like and what sort of quality it generates. I also wonder what sort of files you have to feed it.

And Doom9 was somewhat brief on his news addition when he said DivX 3 would be unplayable, if DivX 3 was remuxed into a compatible bitstream, I imagine it would be playable. But you'd have to ask -h about that
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2002, 18:48   #5  |  Link
-h
Kilted Yaksman

And Doom9 was somewhat brief on his news addition when he said DivX 3 would be unplayable, if DivX 3 was remuxed into a compatible bitstream, I imagine it would be playable. But you'd have to ask -h about that

"We shall see."

Looks like DC storage behaviour could be our undoing..

-h
-h is offline   Reply With Quote